Travelling with infant

addicted cruiser

I have a few questions. I’m travelling with my grandsons 8 months and 3 years.

When travelling from airport to cruise port does MSC provide a bus or vans? Do the children need car seats?

Also can we get a folding cot of some sort for infant to sleep in on board ship?

Does MSC provide baby food and milk either free or to purchase for infant?

Thank you for your replies. Any tips or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

When travelling from airport to cruise port does MSC provide a bus or vans? Do the children need car seats?

Also can we get a folding cot of some sort for infant to sleep in on board ship?

Thank you for your replies. Any tips or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

wow... you've got your hands full. Yes, you can arrange transfers but I would think a private taxi/uber would be easier. You will need car seats for both kids which you would have to provide. You will also want a stroller (or 2) for movement on and off the ship.

There might be pack & play cots; cannot comment on that. MSC does not provide baby food; you can bring your own. Milk is always available however if it needs to be heated it will have to be done by setting baby bottle in hot water in a container as they will not microwave it.

You will need to bring all of your own diapers, wipes, etc, and I'd recommend garbage liners for the cabin as those are not provided (to sack up the nappies!)

Make sure you get a NOTARIZED statement from the children's parents that from x to y date they are in your care and you are authorized to make medical decisions on their behalf. MSC might have separate forms that will also need to fill out as you are taking small children out of the country. They will both need ID's, passports recommended.

You are a better person then I am; when I have grandchildren some day the earliest I would consider taking them would be 6 or 7 when they can carry a small roller bag on their own.

Does any cruise line provide baby food????? The 8 month old infant is too young to be on a cruise.

yes, and without starting a flaming discussion is that the reason many lines limit sailings to at least a year (or more) is because an infant can go from healthy to very ill very quickly, especially in the case of an intestinal illness. As you know from your 14 cruises a ship is the perfect breeding ground for Norovirus, or other viruses. While an adult with a more mature immune system can handle, a baby cannot as easily. Medical services onboard are meant to stabilize for transfer, but not provide acute care.

MSC might allow it, and you certainly have your right to take your grandbaby. Yes, planning will be in order but I am sure you can do it. I remember reading about a company that you can arrange to ship baby food, formula, diapers etc to a place near the port (it was for Port Everglades, not MIA, but still) for families flying in.

if you look up "complete guide to cruising with a baby" there is some great advice from a mother who has been there & done it (succesfully). Good luck and have fun with the littles.

MSC is very family friendly.

Call ahead and have a crib added to your reservation.

Check with special needs. It may be possible to have food items pureed in the dining room for the baby.

MSC has the following on board for borrowing: strollers and high chairs. I am not sure about car seats.

There are also a brand called Chicco of baby and toddler toys on board for the children to play with. There is a Chicco "store" on board. I am not sure if the toys can be borrowed or if they must be played with in the store.

Does any cruise line provide baby food????? The 8 month old infant is too young to be on a cruise.

Our son was on his first cruise when he was 7 months old. It was with Celebrity. Packed with us all the baby food etc from Norway. Not much hassle - just an extra suitcase.

No issues what so ever!

In front we feared alot of grumpy other passengers based on the negative attitude towards children here at Cruise Critic. Onboard we didnt meet a single negative fellow passenger - just smiles all the way! Maybe Cruise Critic forum doesnt represent the average cruise passenger after all:)

OP-you may want to check out the family cruising part of cruise critic, there are many people who have recently sailed with small children and will give you many ideas.

My boys started travelling at 4 months and sailing at 3 years, here’s the Reader’s Digest version of my usual suggestions.

Yes you need car seats, the laws of physics don’t change because you change countries and I never wanted to discover what the trauma centre looks like wherever we are visiting. Know how to do a seatbelt install, car seats with built in lock offs are your friend. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, start checking out some car seat forums and ask lots of questions. I volunteered as a car seat technician for 4 years and could install a car seat anywhere, including taxis in Mexico and Honduras where people here told me I’d *never* find vehicles with car seats. Rant over!

Bring everything you need, don’t count on buying anything. That means diapers, wipes, cups, cutlery, books, sleeping items, everything. We brought a pack and play when the boys were little, then a safety rail for the bed when they were bigger. Extra luggage but peace of mind.

In terms of food, you’ll need to know what the youngest is eating and ensure with special needs on the ship that you can get similar things. I’d bring pre-packed dry baby cereal and other pre-packaged, sealed foods if there are any questions about what you might need on board. Dish soap, cloth and towel come in handy too to wash baby spoons and cups.

Stroller vs baby carrier is your choice and will depend on what you want to do in port. I loved carrying my babies when on vacation, but sometimes it was hot! Small umbrella stroller vs the massive ones you might use at home will work better on a ship.

Travelling with little ones is different, but we love doing it and wouldn’t have changed a thing! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When our DD was 1 year I booked SAS transportation from-to airport to avoid bringing car seats,or you can book MSC transfer .

Cruise line provide folding cots but we never used one,takes too much space in cabin. Open sofa worked fine for our DD.

I used to bring my own powder formula and small thermos . you can fill it in any bar with boiling water. Plenty of milk on board but I would bring cereals or your regular food for 8 month old.

Advice? Take a land vacation in good resort . 8 month baby will not have too much to do on board and lots of cuts for your experience.