Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

8 hours ago, Lirio said:

On a business trip to the Amazon region. First the river encounter where Rio Negro (black river is clear water) meets the Solimoes river (mud water) and keeps flowing together for several kms.

20230411_111020.thumb.jpg.5644328e86dc51f995ada312ff9488e0.jpg

Second the flooded forest which stay under water on the raining season.

20230411_115953.thumb.jpg.0fbe6bceac4b4e603ab62a0245ab6cd1.jpg

A historical house in a small city.

20230411_180322.thumb.jpg.75246ad63011991dfbf3e194ffd19702.jpg

Sunset in the amazon river.

20230411_173851.thumb.jpg.a75366c663cd466365fccbb8e8dcb23d.jpg

Gorgeous Lirio!  🥰

8 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Just beautiful Lirio. Which is the small city? South America is possibly my trip for next Jan so I’m looking up options right now!

It is a remote area in the amazon, not a place to tourism. Should you be interested in Amazon, Manaus ie the main city.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mysty said:

Oh No!  Hope you and Spins are both okay!

Thanks, Mysty- I live about 60 miles north and we only had a few inches of rain,but wondering about Spins. The storm yesterday sat over Fort Lauderdale and dropped more than 20 inches of rain there.

Fort Lauderdale airport was closed (still is till noon today) and there is extensive flooding in many areas. Hopefully Spins is high and dry!

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Thanks, Mysty- I live about 60 miles north and we only had a few inches of rain,but wondering about Spins. The storm yesterday sat over Fort Lauderdale and dropped more than 20 inches of rain there.

Fort Lauderdale airport was closed (still is till noon today) and there is extensive flooding in many areas. Hopefully Spins is high and dry!

All good here. We only got 4 inches! Compared to the reported 26, we are lucky.

The ground was audibly slurping.  There was some ponding on our property near one door and I was getting ready to put out the sandbags but it wasn’t necessary. 

We have been in such need of rain, I kept thinking be careful of what you wish for…

Thanks for asking about us. Had some rose with a pasta lunch and pretended I was on a ship. Decadent for me. Dr. Spins had his usual Greek salad and then had a long nap lulled by the thunder and lightening and torrential raindrops.

The FLL airport closed until Friday!

Why do people think they can drive through so much standing water? They ended up having to abandon their cars in the road!

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

The ground was audibly slurping.  There was some ponding on our property near one door and I was getting ready to put out the sandbags but it wasn’t necessary. 

We have been in such need of rain, I kept thinking be careful of what you wish for…

Thanks for asking about us. Had some rose with a pasta lunch and pretended I was on a ship. Decadent for me. Dr. Spins had his usual Greek salad and then had a long nap lulled by the thunder and lightening and torrential raindrops.

The FLL airport closed until Friday!

Why do people think they can drive through so much standing water? They ended up having to abandon their cars in the road!

Spins, Glad that you were not impacted - and love the idea of pretending you were on a ship.  Speaking of which, it's a good thing there weren't any cruise ships scheduled to depart from Port Everglades yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Spins, Glad that you were not impacted - and love the idea of pretending you were on a ship.  Speaking of which, it's a good thing there weren't any cruise ships scheduled to depart from Port Everglades yesterday.

Today we have an infinity pool in which to swim laps. However its cold, temp dropped and heater working overtime. 

And yes the flooding caused tumult.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The FLL airport closed until Friday!   Why do people think they can drive through so much standing water? They ended up having to abandon their cars in the road!

Appreciate from Spins these details and the follow-ups.  WOW!!!  What a mess when the airport needs to be closed and you get that massive amount of rain.  Been watching and following this story on TV news.  Hard to image.  Glad you are surviving and doing reasonably well.  It is perfect weather up in Ohio, sunny, no rain, getting several needed projects done outside, etc.  Keep us posted as to your continued progress.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

7 hours ago, mysty said:

Today's funny.....

This tickled Silver Queen‘s funny bone when I shared it with her.

3 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

The storm yesterday sat over Fort Lauderdale and dropped more than 20 inches of rain there.

Wait, what?  20” in a day?  That amount would be 50% higher than the entire annual precipitation we receive here between rain & snow.  20” in 24-hours would literally be an ecological disaster here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Wait, what?  20” in a day?  That amount would be 50% higher than the entire annual precipitation we receive here between rain & snow.  20” in 24-hours would literally be an ecological disaster here.

Great point!!  There are parts of Utah and the West that only get 8-10" of rain for the whole year.  All twelve months and 365 days.  That's massive!  

Cannot image how a very flat area such as in and around Fort Lauderdale can manage that much rain.  In Central Ohio, we have varied terrain that help move the water towards creek, streams and river.  Not as much down there in that part of Florida.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

This tickled Silver Queen‘s funny bone when I shared it with her.

Turns out it was almost 26 inches at Fort Lauderdale Airport. Fort Lauderdale flood updates: 25 inches of rain; airport shut down (usatoday.com).

On the other side of the state (which wasn't impacted), there are 200,000 people in the Tampa area who feel the real disaster would be if any rain impacts Taylor Swift's concerts tonight, tomorrow or Saturday 😅

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3