Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

A Public Service Announcement

……… for UK Coolers and those elsewhere with suitable streaming aids.   Glasto has started and it’s currently live streaming on several stages all at the same time on different selectable  BBC IPlayer channels all weekend for free.  Can’t be cheaper than that! 🙂

It’s a perfect way of escaping from Election misery for a few days!!! 👍👍👍

Here’s the lineup with hundreds of acts and rough timing schedule for around 14 or so live stages.

https://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2024/

Enjoy all …..

Jeff

IMG_5901.png

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

A Public Service Announcement

……… for UK Coolers and those elsewhere with suitable streaming aids.   Glasto has started and it’s currently live streaming on several stages all at the same time on different selectable  BBC IPlayer channels all weekend for free.  Can’t be cheaper than that! 🙂

It’s a perfect way of escaping from Election misery for a few days!!! 👍👍👍

Here’s the lineup with hundreds of acts and rough timing schedule for around 14 or so live stages.

https://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2024/

Enjoy all …..

Jeff

IMG_5901.png

Still working but singing along loud (and off-key) to Paul Heaton... This could be Rotterdam or anywhere...😊

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Still working but singing along loud (and off-key) to Paul Heaton... This could be Rotterdam or anywhere...😊

Dexy was dire and Anne-Marie looked like she’d been trussed up as a Baco-foil Christmas  Turkey.  

Aurora is wafting around like a cloud.  A weird cloud!

I understand that Paloma Faith has been pulled this evening.  

Perhaps she has been a bit tired? 😉

Have you popped over to Heilung?  Bewildering. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

6 hours ago, zqtchas said:

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.chrismann.org%2F0e47c38088fecea121be84d1e76884203d9612cc.png&t=1719578463&ymreqid=240a9637-1935-b80c-1c25-070001018900&sig=s48Y2qdpHKO59_7JZwHswA--~D

Quotes to Ponder

That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said, 'Goodbye'.

Richard Armour

Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Robert Heinlein

Every dogma has its day.

Anthony Burgess

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as much as the dog.

Christopher Morley

The husband who decides to surprise his wife is often very much surprised himself.

Voltaire

As I learned from growing up, you don’t mess with your grandmother.

Prince William

Trying is the first step toward failure.

Homer Simpson

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Don Marquis

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Mae West

I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time.

Charles M. Schulz

I'm going to marry a Jewish woman because I like the idea of getting up

on  Sunday morning and going to the deli.

Michael J. Fox

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.  

Ogden Nash

The last time I saw him he was walking down lover's lane holding his own hand.

Fred Allen

Pears are ripe for half an hour.  They’re like a rock, or they’re mush.  You take them home and put

them in a bowl, and they sit there going, “No, don’t ripen yet, wait until he goes out of the room! ”

Eddie Izzard

Right now I’m have amnesia and déjà vu at the same time…I think I’ve forgotten this before. 

Steven Wright.

If God sneezes, I really don't know what to say.

Henny Youngman

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.chrismann.org%2F9291b95e90f1e2fb5663ea11513020a4c151d0fe.jpg&t=1719578463&ymreqid=240a9637-1935-b80c-1c25-070001018900&sig=5bAk0HePEXGQhRnYJ9yn5w--~D

Or stew in your wine over…..

Eddie Izzard! Adorable man, saw him last week in London as Hamlet. Outstanding.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Dexy was dire and Anne-Marie looked like she’d been trussed up as a Baco-foil Christmas  Turkey.  

Aurora is wafting around like a cloud.  A weird cloud!

I understand that Paloma Faith has been pulled this evening.  

Perhaps she has been a bit tired? 😉

Have you popped over to Heilung?  Bewildering. 

Jeff

Hmm not my cup of tea Heilung, too much concept fixed.There was some Afro Pop a minute ago though, I do like that kind of music. 
What's on right now doesn't grab me. All time favourites are the Stones and Prince. And sometimes I still discover something new worth listening to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Human being then. Utterly brilliant😊

The most impressive thing about this “Lady” - for me having struggled with my linguistics in spite of a French girlfriend - is that he can do a complete full evening comedy set in Paris entirely in French. 

As a 62 year old. I just wish he wouldn’t dress as an 80 year old woman. 

Jeff

8 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

The most impressive thing about this “Lady” - for me having struggled with my linguistics in spite of a French girlfriend - is that he can do a complete full evening comedy set in Paris entirely in French. 

As a 62 year old. I just wish he wouldn’t dress as an 80 year old woman. 

Jeff

...and after 2 hours of hilarious rambling about life, the universe and everything he will finish landing precisely where he started. 
He can also play all roles in Hamlet himself. So gifted.IMG_7936.thumb.jpeg.170212139e73c24cfec839f9c9ab3a6c.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

...and after 2 hours of hilarious rambling about life, the universe and everything he will finish landing precisely where he started. 
He can also play all roles in Hamlet himself. So gifted.IMG_7936.thumb.jpeg.170212139e73c24cfec839f9c9ab3a6c.jpeg

I have often harboured the idea (somewhat grudgingly at times)  that the closer you get to genius the weirder you might appear to others.  

Jeff

• Like 2

Just wondering if any of you had ever been to Glasto.  A relation  by marriage, aged 65ish, is there as a steward, having worked up to it by stewarding at other festivals.  We all think he is crackers, sleeping in a little tent and miles from his car to get clean undies etc., but perhaps we are all just wimps.  He will have been there for nearly two weeks by the end.   His wife refused to go, naturally.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Just wondering if any of you had ever been to Glasto.  A relation  by marriage, aged 65ish, is there as a steward, having worked up to it by stewarding at other festivals.  We all think he is crackers, sleeping in a little tent and miles from his car to get clean undies etc., but perhaps we are all just wimps.  He will have been there for nearly two weeks by the end.   His wife refused to go, naturally.

Not for along time. It was special.  It still is.  But.  

It’s a TV experience now rather than going there for us.  Progress bestows on mature people, enormous TV’s, gigaband broadband, fridges with booze and sandwich stuff and Vi-Spring beds.  And no queues for the toilets or people peeing  on your teepee. 

And you can go between several stages when your bored via the remote control. 

And we have to plan seaside trips with a wide berth to the event because it cloggs up the A303 for quite a while.

I enjoy the TV experience and feel sorry for those there.  In a way.

Jeff

IMG_5937.png

IMG_5936.png

IMG_5931.png

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

All time favourites are the Stones and Prince. And sometimes I still discover something new worth listening to.

David Bowie was memorable and Paul McCartney created a wonderful night of atmosphere with such a list of hits.  Dolly Parton added glitz, and whilst Elton John doesn’t appear to have his old voice no one can accuse him of not putting on a show. 

I always think of John Peel during Glasto.  He launched so many careers that wouldn’t have made it without him.  He was a lovely modest and (hard to believe) a painfully shy man - and most importantly use to get me into The Round  House for free. He loved Arthur Brown, and during one performance John had to put Arthur Brown’s head out which was badly on fire after his performance of “Fire!”. I miss him. I have many story’s about him 😉

There’s lot’s of variety on this year’s line up but the stars in the end will always be that exuberant audience.

Jeff

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

FWIW, what I’ve learned just as a very daft generalisation is that in a way a bit UNLIKE wine - if you disregard ostentasious bottles and boxing you do get much more of what you pay for if you spend a lot on olive oil.  Although part of the price might be rarity, I’m now buying unfiltered early harvest cold pressed small batch oils.

We learned the same on our trip to the Med last fall. The ship had an olive oil tasting. Our instructor extolled the virtues of those small batch oils. When we had private guides we asked to be taken to farmers markets where we found those scary looking plastic bottles of liquid gold. Granted we couldn't take them home, but what a delight they were on the ship. We also loaded up on olives and brought them to cocktail hour every night and shared with other guests. Big tasting fun.

One of the farmers markets in Bodrum, Turkey.

We didn't go for the gallon bottles.

20231115_102447.thumb.jpg.3e5f1d47946fd28a84bc06c42dc701d0.jpg

We scored a smaller bottle here. Those savory trays of stuffed godness to the left were to die for. 

20231115_100538.thumb.jpg.32b3d64eef87528062445b958dfa965e.jpg

Fully loaded with other things we didn't go for the mystery jars but in retrospect wish we had.

20231115_100057.thumb.jpg.f967024e848cae0b0fb8cc16acfb62ac.jpg

Back in port we asked to be taken to a local restaurant.  We wound our way past all the awful tourist shops through small alleyways and found ourselves in heaven. 

Our guide needed to be elsewhere. No English was spoken but  we were treated like royalty and had an amazing meal.

20231115_135424.thumb.jpg.d45daa9610576936ff8899b7335db8dc.jpg

20231115_134646.thumb.jpg.827471e6b8622a70680c3f5c49f7b242.jpg

Thanks Jeff for bring back this memory.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We learned the same on our trip to the Med last fall. The ship had an olive oil tasting. Our instructor extolled the virtues of those small batch oils. When we had private guides we asked to be taken to farmers markets where we found those scary looking plastic bottles of liquid gold. Granted we couldn't take them home, but what a delight they were on the ship. We also loaded up on olives and brought them to cocktail hour every night and shared with other guests. Big tasting fun.

One of the farmers markets in Bodrum, Turkey.

We didn't go for the gallon bottles.

20231115_102447.thumb.jpg.3e5f1d47946fd28a84bc06c42dc701d0.jpg

We scored a smaller bottle here. Those savory trays of stuffed godness to the left were to die for. 

20231115_100538.thumb.jpg.32b3d64eef87528062445b958dfa965e.jpg

Fully loaded with other things we didn't go for the mystery jars but in retrospect wish we had.

20231115_100057.thumb.jpg.f967024e848cae0b0fb8cc16acfb62ac.jpg

Back in port we asked to be taken to a local restaurant.  We wound our way past all the awful tourist shops through small alleyways and found ourselves in heaven. 

Our guide needed to be elsewhere. No English was spoken but  we were treated like royalty and had an amazing meal.

20231115_135424.thumb.jpg.d45daa9610576936ff8899b7335db8dc.jpg

20231115_134646.thumb.jpg.827471e6b8622a70680c3f5c49f7b242.jpg

Thanks Jeff for bring back this memory.

Thanks HPD, lovely memories.

My great regret is that I’ve spent far too long being mean and buying reasonable olive oil I thought good but now realised what’s possible.  

I’m looking forward to some bream next week with a salad!

Thanks again,

Jeff

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I’m looking forward to some bream next week with a salad

Mmmmm, yum, sounds delish.

After having the most perfect butter poached Cod in Stockholm a few weeks ago I made  my first attempt last night.  I used a Beurre Blanc with fresh chives and thyme. Sided with a spinach  strawberry salad and crispy potatoes. Plates were cleaned.

20240627_203345.thumb.jpg.b981ca2ff40e0e19c33c29a1d8a620f8.jpg

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 4