Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Personally I'm hoping to be eaten by a crocodile at 108 years of age after my hot air balloon crashes somewhere very picturesque on a holiday where I blow my last pound. Spaniels, unlike cats, have no interest in their inheritance. 

I Went Keto once before and dropped 4 1/2 stone in 4 months eating meat and cheese and slathering everything in butter and double cream. It's taken me 4 years of consistent enjoyment to undo that work. Tbh I Have lots of little hacks that help do away with any cravings. A Few months without certain things certainly makes you appreciate them more when you return to them. I Still remember my first bacon butty after those 4 months. Local home sweet cured thick cut bacon  on thick cut Tiger bread from our local bakery slathered in butter, drizzled with HP and a duck egg from my next door neighbour. The planning and anticipation of that simple meal was half the fun. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Personally I'm hoping to be eaten by a crocodile at 108 years of age after my hot air balloon crashes somewhere very picturesque on a holiday where I blow my last pound. Spaniels, unlike cats, have no interest in their inheritance. 

I Went Keto once before and dropped 4 1/2 stone in 4 months eating meat and cheese and slathering everything in butter and double cream. It's taken me 4 years of consistent enjoyment to undo that work. Tbh I Have lots of little hacks that help do away with any cravings. A Few months without certain things certainly makes you appreciate them more when you return to them. I Still remember my first bacon butty after those 4 months. Local home sweet cured thick cut bacon  on thick cut Tiger bread from our local bakery slathered in butter, drizzled with HP and a duck egg from my next door neighbour. The planning and anticipation of that simple meal was half the fun. 

Almost every food fad in history has subsequently found to be wrong. An almost all beng proposed and funded by pharma companies. Don’t start me …

The latest and most damaging one was when every type 2 diabetic in the first world was told to cut down on meat and in particular fatty meats, and butter etc and eat more jacket potatoes, bread and rice and use sunflower oil.

It took a remarkable Northern GP doctor - David Unwin - to discover accidentally that when his patients cut out slow sugar release carbs eg potatoes, bread, rice etc they rapidly reversed their diabetes and their weight and blood pressure and many could stop their medications.  It also transpires that butter might not be bad for you. 

Now the bad news.  You are not going to be eaten by a crocodile at 108 after the hot air balloon ride.  It will more likely be dementia which is the largest cause. And enjoying the chip now is better than dementia later on.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I know I started The Cooler five threads and many years ago.  I think I might understand the intended ethos of The Cooler and even sometimes understand posts.

I simply expressed that in my irrelevant view that what I find personally uplifting and positive in The Cooler is better than what I find dispiritingly negative.  

If you can post your opinion on this topic then surely I can be permitted to post my opinion can’t I?

Food for thought

Jeff

You're entitled to your opinion.  No one is saying you're not! 

10 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Almost every food fad in history has subsequently found to be wrong. An almost all beng promosed by pharma companies.  Don’t start me …

The latest and most damaging one was when every type 2 diabetic in the first world was told to cut down on meat and in particular fatty meats, and butter etc and eat more jacket potatoes, bread and rice and use sunflower oil.

It took a remarkable Northern GP doctor - David Unwin - to discover accidentally that when his patients cut out slow sugar release carbs eg potatoes, bread, rice etc they rapidly reversed their diabetes and their weight and blood pressure and many could stop their medications.  It also transpires that butter might not be bad for you. 

Now the bad news.  You are not going to be eaten by a crocodile at 108 after the hot air balloon ride.  It will more likely to be dementia which is the largest cause. And enjoying the chip now is better than dementia later on.

Jeff

What you’re describing is exactly why keto works. Humans aren’t designed to eat carbs and carbs are what lead most people into type 2.  I’d never really been on a “diet” before but my curiosity  led me to do plenty of research on the science behind it and enticed me into giving it a go. It was easy to follow, I felt a huge difference myself and the weight just dropped off me. My trousers went from a snug 36” to a luxurious 30”. A great excuse for acquiring some new pieces. 
with regard to dementia, we’re in the final stages of it with my 15 year old sprocker. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

pleasures of life like Mr. Higgins and the lovely meals everyone is making - mostly men, I notice

we do love cats and dogs here, Mr. Higgins so adorable

Wife and I alternate cooking duties, my turn tonight.  Halibut, potatoes and a zucchini salsa baked casserole.

Halibut - slathered in butter and baked without further ado.

Potatoes - Ore-Ida tater tots air fried till crisp

Zucchini casserole - cooking in the small slow cooker

None of which justify a picture.  I think I have the envy thing under control as I do so enjoy the food pictures above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The great  thing about the Cooler - and indeed anything on CC - is that rather than enduring being bored silly by listening to someone droning on about something you are not interested in you just slide over the post or the whole thread without offending anyone.  However, it seems as though most of the merry bunch here enjoy reading about similar topics, and looking at the same sort of photos and 'funnies'.  Certainly there is little I do not want to read, as the most common topics are of interest to me -  witty cartoons and jokes, food and drink,  gorgeous pictures of cats and dogs, people's travels to places I would like to see. Now and again I will glide over a post, but the author never knows so isn't offended.  I bet a lot of my drivel goes unread, and I would not blame you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, lincslady said:

The great  thing about the Cooler - and indeed anything on CC - is that rather than enduring being bored silly by listening to someone droning on about something you are not interested in you just slide over the post or the whole thread without offending anyone.  However, it seems as though most of the merry bunch here enjoy reading about similar topics, and looking at the same sort of photos and 'funnies'.  Certainly there is little I do not want to read, as the most common topics are of interest to me -  witty cartoons and jokes, food and drink,  gorgeous pictures of cats and dogs, people's travels to places I would like to see. Now and again I will glide over a post, but the author never knows so isn't offended.  I bet a lot of my drivel goes unread, and I would not blame you.

Thank you Lola!  🥰

On 7/12/2024 at 7:00 AM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

image.thumb.jpeg.51ec00a86b1c822fbab894f916a5c59b.jpeg

The garden is cranking out good ingredients - look at those onions!  And who knew you can grow Parmagiano Reggiano!?  I pulled out some of last year's Proto Pesto from the freezer, and made my version of Eggplant Parm, with fresh local mozzarella & ricotta.  Had home made bread and a bottle of Montepulciano lying around, and starvation was narrowly averted. 

Meanwhile, despite my declaration that we were done with cats, after our two older rescue kitties finally died last year, we had a plea from a vet who is a good friend, who also makes house calls, regarding a 7 year old male kitty belonging to an older lady who needs to move into a care facility.  My DW batted her eyelashes a few times, produced a tear in one eye, so now of course we have a new kitty.  We're calling him Mr Higgins, after the name of our imaginary butler, who never seems to be around when I need my G&T freshened up!  Rumor is he is a good mouser/ratter, which we need, as we keep chickens and have feed around, plus compost piles and other rodent habitat.  Mr Higgins weighs 14#, so we figure he can handle a rat or two, to say nothing of our Old English Sheepdog!!  

IMG_6666.jpeg

😍😍😍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Friday night is Steak night. 

IMG_0210.jpeg

That looks delicious DW….l find it so hard to get a good steak these days when dining out and one that’s served correctly with tomato, mushrooms, onions and chips although l like your side dish!

Back in the day the Berni Inns were quite acceptable….you may remember the Chester one on the rows…..we thought it a real treat in our youth! 
😊

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Shall we have a picture of dogs for no good reason? 

OK:

(The one that's impersonating a teddy bear is our son's.) 

IMG-20240707-WA0014.thumb.jpg.9b6d042dbca70567c38c7ecd31f3e480.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous TTS….hope you and Mrs T are keeping well…my beautiful black lab is 11 this month…so adorable and wonderful company 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, lovely dogs anytime (but not those on cruise ships please, unless really genuine) and cats too - just as beautiful, but a bit more inscrutable.  They still let you know how they feel though, by their expressions.  I think you need a bigger sofa, Tts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissSophia said:

That looks delicious DW….l find it so hard to get a good steak these days when dining out and one that’s served correctly with tomato, mushrooms, onions and chips although l like your side dish!

Back in the day the Berni Inns were quite acceptable….you may remember the Chester one on the rows…..we thought it a real treat in our youth! 
😊

Remember it very well. Served as a Police officer there for 10yrs what a posting that was. We now live in sunny Cyprus however, we still have a holiday home in Frodsham about 10 from Chester. What a beautiful roman city. Those were the days, a real steak mouthwatering. The rows are amazing we are returning to the UK in 10 days,looking forward to visiting that lovely city again, if only for Primark!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fudge said:

Remember it very well. Served as a Police officer there for 10yrs what a posting that was. We now live in sunny Cyprus however, we still have a holiday home in Frodsham about 10 from Chester. What a beautiful roman city. Those were the days, a real steak mouthwatering. The rows are amazing we are returning to the UK in 10 days,looking forward to visiting that lovely city again, if only for Primark!!

Enjoy you r trip home fudge ....

About time we had a few kebab piccies!

Jeff

I’m currently dog sitting my grand dog - a chocolate spoodle, Cookie.

Her family are in the Greek Islands escaping our unusually cold winter.

She is missing her family but Grandma is a good 1st reserve.

BAAB35C2-DB1E-4C03-AB29-BF3CEB32CC36.jpeg

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, fudge said:

I was in the job just over the border in North Wales!

Chester is a beautiful city, I’m in quite a lot as my granddaughter works in hospitality there.

I know of Frodsham but but not well….l used to live in digs in Hoole.

😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissSophia said:

😊

Ah,  but do you remember the Ponderosa? Did you ever work with my bestie, Mandy Jones? 

35 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Ah,  but do you remember the Ponderosa? Did you ever work with my bestie, Mandy Jones? 

Do you know l don’t remember the Ponderosa…apart from the one on the Horseshoe Pass!

Sorry don’t recall Mandy either….😊

• Like 1

Anybody got a photogenic pussycat ?  Not that the dogs are not gorgeous, of course.  I am more of a cat person, supposedly therefore less gregarious and a bit more aloof, which I am.

Just for balance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MissSophia said:

Do you know l don’t remember the Ponderosa…apart from the one on the Horseshoe Pass!

Sorry don’t recall Mandy either….😊

I Believe it's Wetherspoons now on Foregate Street. It was an amazing steak Restaurant in  the 1980s. 

JS80930822.jpg.webp

• Like 1