Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

40 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thanks, M, sadly another drink I do not enjoy much (the problem is I really do not like the taste of gin!) but my favourite drink of all time is a classic Negroni - and I have been drinking them since long before the recent surge of interest.  Maybe partly because it is so easy to make, just one third of each ingredient.  And pretty alcoholic of course.  More than two and you are likely to be under the table.

I don't think I've ever tasted a Negroni.  Either that or I've had more than two.  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

Back to the gins - as effectively a non-gin drinker (i.e. only with tonic, or better in a negroni), presumably you are drinking these spectacular gins neat, or on the rocks, or some other way,  in order to really appreciate the special flavours?

I drink “Ink” gin with tonic water.  I must dig it out from the cupboard as I’ve had it awhile and don’t want that beautiful colour to fade.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I drink “Ink” gin with tonic water.  I must dig it out from the cupboard as I’ve had it awhile and don’t want that beautiful colour to fade.

I had to look up Ink gin.  It looks amazing!  Beautiful bottle!  And it sounds yummy! 😁  I checked availability at the LCBO and, as expected, there is no Ink gin here in Ontario.

Edited by mysty

6 minutes ago, mysty said:

I had to look up Ink gin.  It looks amazing!  Beautiful bottle!  And it sounds yummy! 😁

A different brand but the same butterfly pea flower for flavour and colour. Delicious!

I seem to remember we had discussions on this subject a couple of years ago.  It ended happily for me when @highplanesdrifters pick up an extra bottle of Turtle Gin in Fiji to pass along when we were on Silver Explorer. 😄

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 2

I have just researched ink gin - a whole new topic to find out about.  Lovely bottles, and it sounds magical.  Good to find something new to study.

I have two levels of specs., reading,  and tv watching, but none needed for 'normal' activities, so there are two in the bedroom, two in the sitting room, and two in the kitchen as well as reading ones in handbags for shopping and menu reading.    Luckily they are just the cheap off the shelf ones.  Everything else is on the way out, but vision fairly good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another of my favourite authors is Martha Grimes.  Martha Grimes was an American writer of detective fiction. She is best known for a series featuring Richard Jury, a Scotland Yard inspector, and Melrose Plant, an aristocrat turned amateur sleuth.  The author passed away in November of 2023.

Much like Louise Penny's, Grimes made her characters feel like people who could be your neighbours.  Her stories take place, for the most part in and around Long Piddleton.

Richard Jury is a fictional character in a series of mystery novels written by Martha Grimes.

Initially a chief inspector, later a superintendent, Jury is invariably assisted in his cases by Melrose Plant, a British aristocrat who has given up his titles, and by his hypochondriacal but dependable sergeant, Alfred Wiggins. Many of the novels include Divisional Commander Brian Macalvie of the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary. In addition, there is a recurring ensemble of background characters such as.....

Melrose Plant, once Lord Ardry, the Earl of Caverness. His ancestral home is called Ardry End.

Ruthven and Martha, husband and wife, manservant and housekeeper, respectively, at Ardry End for many years.

"Lady" Agatha Ardry, Plant's intrusive aunt and bane of his existence.

Marshall Trueblood, an antiques dealer, of flamboyant dress and manner, but possibly that is an affectation for customers who "expect" that behavior.

Diane DeMorney, single, wealthy, and attractive, but only a friend to Jury and Plant. She knows nothing about astrology, but writes a column on the topic for the local paper. She has porcelain skin and black hair, and is always perfectly coiffed and dressed in combinations of black and white.

Vivian Rivington, a love interest for Jury, but she is (somewhat secretly) in love with Plant. She was for years engaged to an Italian count.

Joanna Lewes, the best-selling author of potboiler romances. Her nickname is Joanna the Mad (“Maddy” to Marshall Trueblood) because her dead husband's name was Philip.

Dick Scroggs, publican, owner of the Jack and Hammer, where Plant and other denizens of Long Piddleton gather.

Mrs. Withersby, charwoman at the Jack and Hammer, who spends most of her time sleeping by the fire and cadging drinks from the regulars.

Trevor Sly, owner of the Blue Parrot, a less-frequented pub.

Theo Wrenn Browne, pompous owner of the local bookstore, disliked by Plant, frequent ally of Agatha.

Ada Crisp, a mild local shopkeeper, frequent adversary to Browne's hopes of expanding his store.

Richard Jury Series Order
1.   The Man With A Load Of Mischief Book

Capture.JPG.5de258329476d3da215564c3d4560e3a.JPG

2.   The Old Fox Deceiv'd Book
3.   The Anodyne Necklace Book
4.   The Dirty Duck Book
5.   Jerusalem Inn Book
6.   Help The Poor Struggler Book
7.   The Deer Leap Book
8.   I Am The Only Running Footman Book
9.   The Five Bells And Bladebone Book
10.   The Old Silent Book
11.   The Old Contemptibles Book
12.   The Horse You Came In On Book
13.   Rainbow's End Book
14.   The Case Has Altered Book
15.   The Stargazey Book
16.   The Lamorna Wink Book
17.   The Blue Last Book
18.   The Grave Maurice Book
19.   The Winds Of Change Book
20.   The Old Wine Shades Book
21.   Dust Book
22.   The Black Cat Book
23.   Vertigo 42: A Richard Jury Mystery Book
24.   The Knowledge Book
25.   The Old Success Book

• Like 3

Good Evening Coolers,

For any Fireworks nuts, for the next two nights is The British Fireworks Championships from Plymouth.  

It's being broadcast live on Youtube.  6 teams over two nights.

Live  ….. now.

Jeff

• Like 2

Wow, Mysty  what with Louise Penny and ink gin, I am already fully occupied with things I must do, don't think I can cope with your new author yet.  I have heard of her, or at least of the protagonists in the books, so will get round to them in time.

Can't believe you have never had a Negroni - a very famous cocktail supposedly originally from Harry's bar in Venice.  One third each  of gin, Campari and Martini rosso, with a twist  of orange peel.  The Campari is the important bit, just that touch of bitterness.  Utterly delicious, and powerful.  If you make it long with soda or tonic, it is an Americano, which can confuse bartenders who assume that is a coffee of course.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Wow, Mysty  what with Louise Penny and ink gin, I am already fully occupied with things I must do, don't think I can cope with your new author yet.  I have heard of her, or at least of the protagonists in the books, so will get round to them in time.

Can't believe you have never had a Negroni - a very famous cocktail supposedly originally from Harry's bar in Venice.  One third each  of gin, Campari and Martini rosso, with a twist  of orange peel.  The Campari is the important bit, just that touch of bitterness.  Utterly delicious, and powerful.  If you make it long with soda or tonic, it is an Americano, which can confuse bartenders who assume that is a coffee of course.

Thank you Lola!  You have given me something to explore!  One Negroni please! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

For any Fireworks nuts, for the next two nights is The British Fireworks Championships from Plymouth.  

I love fireworks, but I hope all the dog owners have left town.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dawntrdr said:

I love fireworks, but I hope all the dog owners have left town.

Hi,

Plymouth Hoe, which is where the display is viewed is a very large grassed area with very few properties most of which are hotels and holiday accommodation so very few dogs.  

The first three displays were good.

Jeff

I may have seen it before, but it is a good one.  The only prize I ever won at school was  for 'dictation' when I was 10.  Spelling has gone off a bit since then.

Mysty, It is hard to believe you have never had a Negroni, with all your travels.  I can beat you on continents, having done all 7, but woefully behind on countries, I got as far as about 60 and then  struggled so gave up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MissSophia said:

Have just finished this book…the author is a well known actress and writes well. 
Although it’s a work of fiction it is based on true events during WW2 in London and a jolly good read 😊

IMG_3151.jpeg

She’s barmy Miss Babs. 

23 hours ago, Port Power said:

A different brand but the same butterfly pea flower for flavour and colour. Delicious!

I seem to remember we had discussions on this subject a couple of years ago.  It ended happily for me when @highplanesdrifters pick up an extra bottle of Turtle Gin in Fiji to pass along when we were on Silver Explorer. 😄

Ahhh, that was a wonderful trip.  Great company, great gin, and great expeditions!

We are headed back to the region but our stops in Fiji were to remote islands so no opportunity to pick up up a few bottles of Blue Turtle Gin....until...

Schedule change.  Normally I'd be disappointed to miss a remote island, but the ship now stops in Lautoka

Weeeee!  Gonna find me a cab driver and stock up.

@mysty. Thanks for all your suggestions! Hopefully I can find a few .

My Holy Grail of all gins. Made with Cava.

Screenshot_20240815_081530_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1e9db22ca2ce8595213afa20224330d8.jpg

For those headed to the Falklands a must try is Tumbledown Scurvy Grass.

Screenshot_20240815_082008_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5257492dec19aa09c421a7621b0a8667.jpg

Stay tuned for my report on GUAM #1 GIN.

I Wonder if they have a #2? 🤣  No...don't go there. 

Screenshot_20240815_081224_Chrome.thumb.jpg.68e2a23a07ba1663bd701247af70ef09.jpg

I'm not a fan of blue drinks, but I have used Butterfly Pea flower in the past and it's lovely. So why not give it a try in spite of the unique slanted bottle🤣.

FYI, Calamansi is a small citrus popular there.

Screenshot_20240815_081035_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2269ee25eb60e1d0860478d5e0be40a8.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Ahhh, that was a wonderful trip.  Great company, great gin, and great expeditions!

We are headed back to the region but our stops in Fiji were to remote islands so no opportunity to pick up up a few bottles of Blue Turtle Gin....until...

Schedule change.  Normally I'd be disappointed to miss a remote island, but the ship now stops in Lautoka

Weeeee!  Gonna find me a cab driver and stock up.

@mysty. Thanks for all your suggestions! Hopefully I can find a few .

My Holy Grail of all gins. Made with Cava.

Screenshot_20240815_081530_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1e9db22ca2ce8595213afa20224330d8.jpg

For those headed to the Falklands a must try is Tumbledown Scurvy Grass.

Screenshot_20240815_082008_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5257492dec19aa09c421a7621b0a8667.jpg

Stay tuned for my report on GUAM #1 GIN.

I Wonder if they have a #2? 🤣  No...don't go there. 

Screenshot_20240815_081224_Chrome.thumb.jpg.68e2a23a07ba1663bd701247af70ef09.jpg

I'm not a fan of blue drinks, but I have used Butterfly Pea flower in the past and it's lovely. So why not give it a try in spite of the unique slanted bottle🤣.

FYI, Calamansi is a small citrus popular there.

Screenshot_20240815_081035_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2269ee25eb60e1d0860478d5e0be40a8.jpg

Looking forward to your gin adventures!  🥰

• Like 1

Good Afternoon Coolers,  🙂

We’re still ensconced at balcony@seaside.  We had planned to return to base a week ago, but it was so congenial here we decided to shrug and stay a further week and we decided again today and to shrug and stay a further week.  Freedom is the greatest luxury we too often take for granted. 

We’ve been extremely busy doing absolutely nothing but enjoying the rhythm of the day.  Later out of bed than normal, if sunny then some rum punch on the balcony with something to nibble - but if not, then so what. 🙂 Lunch made simply … afternoon tea and cake on the balcony if nice …. with the distant  sound of the waves and kids enjoying there annual beach holiday on the beach.  I keep thinking of Epicurus and wished he were here to tell me whether I was on his right track. 

Today I made her something she really enjoyed.  It still surprises me how the nicest stuff is the simplest.  I bought some salmon  and nice thin asparagus.  The asparagus was so fresh and thin I simply put it with the salmon on a bed of scallion lemon oil and butter with a little fresh thyme and wrapped it and baked it for 30 minutes.  I served some simple Hollandaise  and charlotte potatoes - and she told me she was happy and so I was.  Of course there was frozen Cremant.

Jeff

IMG_6812.jpeg

• Like 4