Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

50 minutes ago, mysty said:

What a spectacular place!  Food looks amazing!  Lucky you!  🥰

It's quite bearable there😊

Lovely hotel too Hotel Stadt Hamburg), been going for many years and they know all my quirks now, so I can see myself in 20 years or so doing my rounds with a Zimmer frame by day and then sitting in their excellent bar and restaurant, spending all the potential inheritance on fabulous food and drinks🤣🤣🤣

IMG_8547.thumb.jpeg.398a3d5a157808f0f6cb1057039181d1.jpeg

IMG_8550.jpeg

IMG_8457.jpeg

• Like 8

Today it was (so far) a Martinez in the bar, caviar with excellent blinis and ice cold wodka (which I prefer to Champagne with caviar), a perfect lobster bisque with just enough tarragon and lots of lobster bites wirh a glass of interesting Sauvignon blanc from Galilea, soon to be followed by a saffron risotto with summer truffles, wild broccoli and a glass of pinot blanc from the Nahtal in Germany to go with it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Today it was (so far) a Martinez in the bar, caviar with excellent blinis and ice cold wodka (which I prefer to Champagne with caviar), a perfect lobster bisque with just enough tarragon and lots of lobster bites wirh a glass of interesting Sauvignon blanc from Galilea, soon to be followed by a saffron risotto with summer truffles, wild broccoli and a glass of pinot blanc from the Nahtal in Germany to go with it.

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Looks really wonderful.  Just a touch envious!

I'm more than a tad envious!  Divine!!! 🥰

• Like 1

I always forget to take food photos....the picture above is what I had tonight....Smoked BBQ ribs with a side of fried corn and a sweet potato from a locally owned BBQ place right near me.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I always forget to take food photos....the picture above is what I had tonight....Smoked BBQ ribs with a side of fried corn and a sweet potato from a locally owned BBQ place right near me.

Lois, 

OMG, that looks so tasty!  I might walk a couple miles to have something like that.  Corn is one of the tastiest things in God's creation (although she has some other close contenders).  When I was a young sprout (5 - 10 years) we lived in Nashville, Tennessee, and were introduced to so much wonderful southern fare.  (Confession: My mother was a social worker at Vanderbilt, and she hired native Tennessean ladies to do housekeeping and some cooking; I've never had biscuits to match what they made; or red eye gravy, or stewed poke greens.)  We used Martha White's Self Rising flour, which had leavening agents mixed in, I presume.  (I think maybe this was the inspiration for Powder Milk Biscuits on Prairie Home Companion:  "Heavens, they're tasty, and expeditious!") I still occasionally order things online from Early's Honey Stand in Springhill, Tennessee.  Their country sausage is to die for, and their ham and bacon are as good as you can find anywhere.  We love to roast fresh corn on the grill - have learned that you don't need to remove silk, or soak it, or shuck it.  Just plop it on the grill, turn it occasionally, and when the kernels are getting brownish - like in your photo - they're good to go.  

• Like 4

Fresh corn is the best. I usually grill it but I do shuck it first so the kernels get a nice sear.

Lately I've been cutting the kernels off and sauteing them in a "litte" butter until they are soft, then using them to accompany another dish. For instance, a nice piece of cod or halibut, pan seared then finished with a bit of broth, over corn and potatoes, makes for a delicious one-dish meal. The sweetness of the fish and the corn combined with the potatoes...Yum!

20240804_193404.thumb.jpg.af1469633c8de1af3a32de30e0d7c060.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 9

36 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Lois, 

OMG, that looks so tasty!  I might walk a couple miles to have something like that.  Corn is one of the tastiest things in God's creation (although she has some other close contenders).  When I was a young sprout (5 - 10 years) we lived in Nashville, Tennessee, and were introduced to so much wonderful southern fare.  (Confession: My mother was a social worker at Vanderbilt, and she hired native Tennessean ladies to do housekeeping and some cooking; I've never had biscuits to match what they made; or red eye gravy, or stewed poke greens.)  We used Martha White's Self Rising flour, which had leavening agents mixed in, I presume.  (I think maybe this was the inspiration for Powder Milk Biscuits on Prairie Home Companion:  "Heavens, they're tasty, and expeditious!") I still occasionally order things online from Early's Honey Stand in Springhill, Tennessee.  Their country sausage is to die for, and their ham and bacon are as good as you can find anywhere.  We love to roast fresh corn on the grill - have learned that you don't need to remove silk, or soak it, or shuck it.  Just plop it on the grill, turn it occasionally, and when the kernels are getting brownish - like in your photo - they're good to go.  

I love a good biscuit too.....for our friends on here from the UK, our biscuits are much different from ya'lls. I believe yours are more in the cookie/cracker category. Ours are fluffy that are savory.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Fresh corn is the best. I usually grill it but I do shuck it first so the kernels get a nice sear.

Lately I've been cutting the kernels off and sauteing them in a "litte" butter until they are soft, then using them to accompany another dish. For instance, a nice piece of cod or halibut, pan seared then finished with a bit of broth, over corn and potatoes, makes for a delicious one-dish meal. The sweetness of the fish and the corn combined with the potatoes...Yum!

That does sound really good!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I love a good biscuit too.....for our friends on here from the UK, our biscuits are much different from ya'lls. I believe yours are more in the cookie/cracker category. Ours are fluffy that are savory.

We call them scones. They are particularly liked with jam and cream on top rather than used for dipping into gravy.  

Baking of scones and how well/high they rise is a hotly contested event at annual agricultural shows in each state.  Ladies from the CWA (Country Women’s Association) hotly contest the “best scone” title!

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 4

image.thumb.jpeg.1b2d235053251f64aa8a9609d0843db7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.50e6007ea2e3fbc09545c1242fe30781.jpeg

A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws by hand.
He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.
The head monk, says. "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."
He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.
So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing. "We missed the 'R' ! We missed the 'R'."
His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.
The young monk asks the old abbot. "What's wrong, father?"
With a choking voice, the old abbot replies. "The word was... CELEBRATE!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Port Power said:

We call them scones. They are particularly liked with jam and cream on top rather than used for dipping into gravy.  

Baking of scones and how well/high they rise is a hotly contested event at annual agricultural shows in each state.  Ladies from the CWA (Country Women’s Association) hotly contest the “best scone” title!

Hi, I think scones are in a separate category. I have tried them over the years but they are not for me.

6 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

I once survived a traditional Ukrainian Sunday lunch but only just. My ex was Ukrainian and the family came to visit. The women all huddled off to the kitchen to make vareniki whilst the men drank vodka. When the bowl of vareniki was presented to the table along with a tin of Beluga that weighed around a pound and had been smuggled through customs along with several packets of smoked halibut and numerous ring pull bottles of vodka, the vodka was brought forth from the freezer and the celebrations commenced. My memory is a little hazy but I believe the order was dumpling, caviar vodka. And repeat, for several hours. I may be wrong. My career as a day drinker has never brought me much success. I Regained consciousness around the middle of the next day. I’ve tried harder since but the yard arm still works best for me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

20240831_183242.jpg

Sweetcorn is one of my favourite things on earth Lois. If ever you fly Emirates BC, make sure it’s on a flight where they serve the Sweetcorn Soup. It’s worth taking the flight just for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, drron29 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1b2d235053251f64aa8a9609d0843db7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.50e6007ea2e3fbc09545c1242fe30781.jpeg

A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws by hand.
He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.
The head monk, says. "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."
He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.
So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing. "We missed the 'R' ! We missed the 'R'."
His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.
The young monk asks the old abbot. "What's wrong, father?"
With a choking voice, the old abbot replies. "The word was... CELEBRATE!”

Haha, as someone that lives in an Abbey I can sympathise fully drron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

20240804_193404.thumb.jpg.af1469633c8de1af3a32de30e0d7c060.jpg

That looks lovely JP. Next cheat day I have from the Keto I think I’ll be tempted. I was nearly tempted tonight. I Walked past the Kristy Kreme cabinet in Tescos and I’m sure those dirty things were winking at me. Especially the Strawberry Sundaes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So our son has now narrowed down Rojaan's welsh ancestors. They come from Bleanau Ffestiniog. Apparently her great grandfathers house is still standing.

This came about because her DNA was closely matched to a 94 year old women in Brisbane who shares a fir bit of DNA with Rojaan and it is from Rojaan's mothers side. So at the end of the month we will probably meet our son in Brisbane and visit this new relative and pssibly her children.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I once survived a traditional Ukrainian Sunday lunch but only just. My ex was Ukrainian and the family came to visit. The women all huddled off to the kitchen to make vareniki whilst the men drank vodka. When the bowl of vareniki was presented to the table along with a tin of Beluga that weighed around a pound and had been smuggled through customs along with several packets of smoked halibut and numerous ring pull bottles of vodka, the vodka was brought forth from the freezer and the celebrations commenced. My memory is a little hazy but I believe the order was dumpling, caviar vodka. And repeat, for several hours. I may be wrong. My career as a day drinker has never brought me much success. I Regained consciousness around the middle of the next day. I’ve tried harder since but the yard arm still works best for me. 

My best man at our wedding hails from a village just north of Kyiv. One of his sons is a godson of mine. He married a woman from New Jersey who was of Italian extraction. We were invited to the wedding. It was held in Northern NJ. The reception was incredible. We walked in and were met at the door by 5 of the bride's uncles who asked what our relationship was with the groom. I naturally answered I am the Godfather. to which they replied in unision - no we are the godfathers.

There was a sumptuos buffet laid on. Ukrainian on 1 side and Italian the others. I certainly knocked back my share of the oysters, caviar and vodka as ell as lots of pasta.We went outside to rest both of us feeling very full when it was announced will all guests proceed to the ballroom where lunch will be served. The sparkling wine was actually made by our godson. he is a winemaker who learnt his trade under an aussie winemaker who was awarded the International winemaker of the world in consecutive years.

I am not sure how we got back to our hotel.

• Like 4