Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

But if you do that, you'll miss us in Singapore by two weeks! We'll be there on Feb 7/8th after our WC segment.

I Do have to be back by the 31st JP. I’m stretching it already by 9 hours. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mysty said:

Yes DW!!!!!  We really enjoyed that part of the world!  I can give you links to the blog if you're interested.  😁

I Remember your adventure very well M. I Feel that  the itinerary may be a little lacking in architectural and cultural splendour but have to offset that against how much fun I had on the Symphony last time, until we were arrested of course. But that wasn’t a dampener really. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Portland is a nice place to visit - we've been there twice for long weekends. And we've done the drive to Multnomah Falls and from there to Washington.

I can't attest to the fantastic view from the Vista House at Crown Point, however!

20190608_091809.thumb.jpg.486bc627c2652165dac96b75f1a88e7f.jpg

I will arrive in Portland on Friday the 13th. I have a business diner with local wine tasting.

Saturday to Wednesday are meetings and conference plus more business diner one day or 2. I will be back to Atlanta on Sunday, so I have at least 2 full days to enjoy.

Husband is going as well with no further obligation, so I forward him all suggestions.

I was listing all US cities that I have been so far:

.NY (several times), .Chicago (4x), .LA, .Las Vegas, .Phoenix, .Washington DC (3x), .Savannah, .Charleston, .Tampa, .Fort Lauderdale, .Boca Raton, .Orlando, .Grand Canyon, .New Orleans, .Houston (3x), .San Antonio, .San Francisco, .Atlanta (several times), .San Jose, .Philadelphia, .Monterrey, .Carmel.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

My pictures from our visit to Iceland to see the Northern Lights would be similar JP, though a bit darker.  Still, we loved the country.

I expect you'll have a great trip regardless DW.

@mysty I'm on to Book 4 of Louise Penny & Inspector Gamache.  Quebec beckons as a land trip destination.

DW sent me this link about how to visit the places in the books.  This tour didn't exist when we went:

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/guides/a-superfans-pilgrimage-to-the-places-that-inspired-canadian-author-louise-penny-38493573

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Lirio are you asking for suggestions for stop-overs on future US trips?

Here's one:  Nashville, TN.  

Not only a great center of Country Music [the Grand 'Ole Opry is a must-see],

but they have the Athenian Parthenon as it was in its glory days:

https://www.nashvilleparthenon.com

This is not kitschy – it is a truly authentic archeological recreation [which sadly is verboten in academic archaeology these days] and it does give you the feeling of awe that an ancient Greek must have felt when approaching and entering the temple.  If I were writing a Michelin Green Guide, I would give this top stars!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

The cooler gets Hot again. Where did that come from?

Soca!😎

I actually had the pleasure of seeing the original artist Arrow live in concert in Zurich back in the nineties, and quite a party it was. There must still be a lot of Soca music in my collection, thank you for reminding me, must dig this out as soon as I'm back home, such a feel good sound.

• Like 2

Finally did an excursion to the hallig of Hooge. The Halligen are small islands in the Wattenmeer (Wadden Sea) not protected by floodbanks, so you tend to get wet feet several times a year there. They have a little cinema on Hooge where they show a film of what happens when there is a storm surge. Very impressive how quickly the water can rise. 

Only few people live there, in old times, the men went out whaling or suchlike, so the women had to look after the farms and do all the hard work. They built their church too. 
As you can imagine, all this hard life for centuries made for some rather special characters, they don't suffer fools gladly. 
Our coachman Willi gave a sample of his special charm right at the beginning of the tour by telling one unfortunate tourist off for not listening to him in no uncertain words. Hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing, felt right at home, this could have happened in any remote mountain village in Switzerland too
🤣🤣🤣IMG_8640.thumb.jpeg.8c1c28b8ec28d69360113184f599cd61.jpegIMG_8734.thumb.jpeg.68ee2f11d120901fb3b03bd10f41e5bc.jpegIMG_8612.thumb.jpeg.113334eac5e72d01b0748a10989eef74.jpegIMG_8581.thumb.jpeg.bf86b824fac3276cdd95dd3c53032362.jpeg

IMG_8647.jpeg

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8655.jpeg

IMG_8660.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8698.jpeg

IMG_8699.jpeg

IMG_8702.jpeg

IMG_8676.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Finally did an excursion to the hallig of Hooge. The Halligen are small islands in the Wattenmeer (Wadden Sea) not protected by floodbanks, so you tend to get wet feet several times a year there. They have a little cinema on Hooge where they show a film of what happens when there is a storm surge. Very impressive how quickly the water can rise. 

Only few people live there, in old times, the men went out whaling or suchlike, so the women had to look after the farms and do all the hard work. They built their church too. 
As you can imagine, all this hard life for centuries made for some rather special characters, they don't suffer fools gladly. 
Our coachman Willi gave a sample of his special charm right at the beginning of the tour by telling one unfortunate tourist off for not listening to him in no uncertain words. Hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing, felt right at home, this could have happened in any remote mountain village in Switzerland too
🤣🤣🤣IMG_8640.thumb.jpeg.8c1c28b8ec28d69360113184f599cd61.jpegIMG_8734.thumb.jpeg.68ee2f11d120901fb3b03bd10f41e5bc.jpegIMG_8612.thumb.jpeg.113334eac5e72d01b0748a10989eef74.jpegIMG_8581.thumb.jpeg.bf86b824fac3276cdd95dd3c53032362.jpeg

IMG_8647.jpeg

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8655.jpeg

IMG_8660.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8698.jpeg

IMG_8699.jpeg

IMG_8702.jpeg

IMG_8676.jpeg

That is a very special place!  🥰

• Like 1

Here is a very tasty and easy pasta dish;

Baked Feta Pasta
Baked feta pasta is a simple recipe made by oven roasting a block of feta cheese with cherry tomatoes to create a salty and cheesy sauce!
5 Stars from 12894 votes
Author: Yumna Jawad
Servings - 6 servings
Calories -  430

Ingredients

▢8 ounces cavatappi pasta or pasta of choice
▢2 pints cherry tomatoes
▢8 ounce block feta cheese
▢½ cup extra virgin olive oil
▢¼ teaspoon salt
▢¼ teaspoon black pepper
▢2 garlic cloves minced
▢¼ cup packed chopped fresh basil plus more for serving

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the cherry tomatoes in an oven-safe baking dish. Pour the olive oil on top, and season with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined.

Place the feta block in the middle of the baking dish surrounded by the cherry tomatoes, and flip a couple times to coat it with the olive oil and seasoning.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, until the cherry tomatoes burst, and the feta cheese melts.

While the tomatoes and feta are baking, cook the pasta in a pot of salted water according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid in case you'd like to toss it in.

Immediately add the garlic and basil leaves to the cooked tomatoes and feta and toss everything to combine.

Transfer the cooked pasta to the baking dish and toss to combine. Garnish with more fresh basil and serve warm.

Equipment
Rectangular Ceramic 13×9 Baking Dish
Anodized Nonstick Cookware

Notes:
Myster uses dried oregano and dried basil and adds chopped green olives.  He uses penne pasta.  He doesn't add the salt.

https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/baked-feta-pasta/#wprm-recipe-container-31658

Baked-Feta-Pasta-7.jpg.468b2237040b50df74a45d5ab2ea4f1b.jpg

• Like 6

You might want to poke those tomatoes with a knife or skewer before roasting.  Cherry tomatoes are notorious for exploding due to steam build up and erupting seeds and juice all over the interior of your oven.  And, why stop at one hefty pork chop?  "Moderation in all things, including moderation", as Julia Child said.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

You might want to poke those tomatoes with a knife or skewer before roasting.  Cherry tomatoes are notorious for exploding due to steam build up and erupting seeds and juice all over the interior of your oven.  And, why stop at one hefty pork chop?  "Moderation in all things, including moderation", as Julia Child said.  

One nice juicy chop does me. I Had an M&S Tomopork last night WWFT. It was Luvilly. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Thankfully,  that did not happen on the occasions when this dish was prepared.   I guess we got very lucky!  😁

1 hour ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Heard tonight that someone very local to here has contracted Mpox in Cape Verde and was locked in a cell in the Hospital with an ablutions bucket. Switchometer 97% now.

Stay away Davy!  You (and I) are too old for such danger!

• Haha 1

Is that today?  If I had known I would have had my cheat's version for lunch; sadly I have just had something else entirely.  Cheat's version -  I hardly dare to admit it - is thick bread toasted under the grill on one side, then the other side spread with some butter and sliced cheddar, topped with a generous amount of Lea and Perrins, and grilled until bubbling.  Yes, I know that it is heresy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissSophia said:

Who knew we had a rarebit day!! 😊

IMG_1900.jpeg

I Thought that was on Tuesday MissSophia?

31 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Is that today?  If I had known I would have had my cheat's version for lunch; sadly I have just had something else entirely.  Cheat's version -  I hardly dare to admit it - is thick bread toasted under the grill on one side, then the other side spread with some butter and sliced cheddar, topped with a generous amount of Lea and Perrins, and grilled until bubbling.  Yes, I know that it is heresy.

That's just cheese on toast Lola 🙂 

• Haha 2