First Time on NCL-The Bliss

flannbarr

As seen in my signature, I have sailed 14 times and sail about every 1-2 years. I have Emerald status with Royal Caribbean and we have really liked the Oasis class of ships. There is so much to do for all ages. Sailing with me are my wife and 16 year old son.

We have never sailed on NCL. I am considering the NCL Bliss 12/23/18-12/30/18 primarily because the RCCL ships that I like are very expensive X-Mas week and the Bliss is much more reasonable.

The Bliss looks wonderful based on what I have read.

If you have sailed Oasis class of ships and the Bliss (or similar ship), I would appreciate your comments and comparisons.

Thank you in advance.

As seen in my signature, I have sailed 14 times and sail about every 1-2 years. I have Emerald status with Royal Caribbean and we have really liked the Oasis class of ships. There is so much to do for all ages. Sailing with me are my wife and 16 year old son. We have never sailed on NCL. I am considering the NCL Bliss 12/23/18-12/30/18 primarily because the RCCL ships that I like are very expensive X-Mas week and the Bliss is much more reasonable. The Bliss looks wonderful based on what I have read. If you have sailed Oasis class of ships and the Bliss (or similar ship), I would appreciate your comments and comparisons. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to NCL!

On NCL, we are equivalent to a RCCL Diamond Plus status. We sailed on the Allure in March, will sail on the Symphony in November, and recently were also on the Anthem.

The Bliss is equivalent to a Quantum-class ship on RCCL. About 4000 passengers and on the low end of the megaship range.

NCL is a mid-market cruise line similar to RCCL. NCL embraces the idea of Freestyle cruising. You want to rest, relax, and be on vacation. There are no set dining times. There are no formal nights. NCL embraces the "dress up or not" philosophy, so on the Bliss, guests in shorts and polo shirts are welcome in all restaurants for all meals except the Le Bistro (French) and Ocean Blue (Seafood) specialty restaurants (where long pants (jeans, dockers) are required). Suits and ties are rare. Casual dinner attire (jeans and a polo shirt) are the norm. Some people like to dress up, and they would not be out of place.

Like My Time Dining, you can eat when you want, where ever you want. All of the main dining rooms are set up like a restaurant at home. You show up, the hostess shows you to a private table, you eat as fast or as slow as you want.

Like being on the Allure, there is always entertainment going on. And, we typically eat dinner around a port schedule or show schedule. Some days early. Some days late.

If you want to try some additional-fee specialty dining, those restaurants require a reservation (they sell out fast). A dining package (free with most bookings) is the way to go. If you don't pick up a dining package, most restaurants are a la carte (like any restaurant at home). Each item has a price, you pay for what you order. Cagney's steak house and Teppanyaki are the most popular restaurants and will sell out first. Reservations open 120 days prior to your cruise date. If you can't get the date/times you want pre-cruise, there is a reservations center set up on embarkation day and that should be your first priority.

Like the Anthem, there are a couple of Broadway shows on board. Jersey Boys and Havana. Like the Allure, you should make reservations for the shows. They preform on two nights each during your cruise (2 times a night), so you need to plan on seeing them.

If you like hot, bubbling water, than a Thermal Suite pass is for you! The thermal suite on the Allure is really super tiny compared to the Bliss.

The buffet on the Bliss is far superior (in my opinion) to the Windjammer. And no annoying announcements to "get the heck out if you're done eating, you are no longer welcome". The buffet takes up 1/3 of a deck with beautiful forward facing views.

Like most megaships (Quantum class ships, Oasis class ships, the Bliss) there are a lot of passengers on a small ship. But, the public areas are spread out and you can always find a place for a quite drink.

Check out my live post from the Bliss from June. It provides menus, ship's photos, and copies of the Freestyle Dailies (e.g., Daily Compass). The dailies will give you an idea on the types of entertainment and activities that there will be on the ship. Yeah,,, they will be on different nights based on your itinerary. And the same comedians that where on board in June will probably not be on board in December, but there will be comedians. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641186

Try something new with NCL!