Paying twice (sort of...)

Sailing this Sunday on Oasis! YAY! First cruise! DH and I decided NOT to get the deluxe beverage package. We just don't think we'll drink enough to make up for it. However, I got to thinking and really wish RCI would offer a discounted package for certain rooms. We are getting the boardwalk balcony, so 2 soda packages are included in our stateroom. Soda is also included in the deluxe package. So we're basically paying twice for sodas if we got the deluxe. Why can't they offer an alcohol only package that is much less? We wouldn't need the soda benefit, I personally don't care about specialty coffees, or milkshakes, or smoothies. I would absolutely get the deluxe if it were alcohol only and say $30-35/day. If it weren't included in the room, we wouldn't even buy the soda package. But it will be a nice perk and my kids are happy.

Just wish they had more options to customize the packages to be only the items you want. Oh well, I am very excited and looking forward to our cruise and no cooking, cleaning, shopping, or prepping for food for my 3 boys all week!

They would have to offer 50 different packages to meet everyone's needs. For me personally, I miss the pkg that only included beer/wine/soda/water (or whatever it was). That was perfect for me and lots cheaper. But they don't anymore so I buy the bev package. Hubby and I still get our monies worth - even with being D+. So for us, it is just part of the cruise price.

Sailing this Sunday on Oasis! YAY! First cruise! DH and I decided NOT to get the deluxe beverage package. We just don't think we'll drink enough to make up for it. However, I got to thinking and really wish RCI would offer a discounted package for certain rooms. We are getting the boardwalk balcony, so 2 soda packages are included in our stateroom. Soda is also included in the deluxe package. So we're basically paying twice for sodas if we got the deluxe. Why can't they offer an alcohol only package that is much less? We wouldn't need the soda benefit, I personally don't care about specialty coffees, or milkshakes, or smoothies. I would absolutely get the deluxe if it were alcohol only and say $30-35/day. If it weren't included in the room, we wouldn't even buy the soda package. But it will be a nice perk and my kids are happy.

Just wish they had more options to customize the packages to be only the items you want. Oh well, I am very excited and looking forward to our cruise and no cooking, cleaning, shopping, or prepping for food for my 3 boys all week!

There used to be 4-5 different drink/wine packages. I think the current system is far less complicated for everyone. Basically there are now 3 packages - everything/non-alcoholic/soda. Soda is only fountain soda so really costs them very little. You can still just "pay as you go" for your alcoholic drinks.

Given the price of drinks, not just on cruise ships but everywhere, I think hoping for unlimited alcohol for $30 a day for all day is unrealistic.