Exclusive luggage drop off Southampton

amcwaterfalls

..... To continue.....2019

We are again sailing in an RS but this time not using a taxi but parking with ABP. 

AMC how did the system work with the drop off then parking. I spoke to the shoreside concierge yesterday (now Aurora not Carrie) and she didn't seem to certain how I get from drop off to parking. From your experience last year can you just drive straight to ABP or does one need to go back out gate 10 and drive round to gate 8

The last time we sailed out of Southampton using ABP, they directed us to parking. There they had a team of porters who took our luggage from us and transported it to the ship. Very easy process.

Hello again Groryjm.

Our experience in 2018 with the exclusive drop off wasn’t great. The boat show was on so we couldn’t enter from the usual dockgate - I can’t remember the number but we would’ve come in with the parking on the right and the ship on the left, instead we had to come in from the other side. As we were approaching the ABP area, we were directed straight into the car park and told we couldn’t drive further on to where we could see the stand for the luggage. Luckily we were parked at the end of the car park nearest the pedestrian exit with just a short walk across to the ship.

We only had one piece of hand luggage each and one wheeled case each, otherwise we would’ve just left it to go with everyone else’s. As we were so close we decided to take them across to the drop off. Wasn’t over impressed with the service though -  it still took several hours for the two bags to arrive.

This time there’s no boat show when we sail so hoping to be able to just park by the drop off area and then go on to the car park. I will try and post when on board to let you know if it was straightforward this time.

A few weeks ago the process was easy. To get to the ABP parking we drove right past the RS/PS drop off for luggage.

We could have stopped to drop luggage off if we had chosen to.

They were also collecting luggage in the car park, however they didn’t seem aware of speciality luggage drop off, so we chose to roll our bag over to the drop off just to be sure. The luggage arrived very quickly to cabin. 

1 hour ago, CocoCronut said:

A few weeks ago the process was easy. To get to the ABP parking we drove right past the RS/PS drop off for luggage.

We could have stopped to drop luggage off if we had chosen to.

They were also collecting luggage in the car park, however they didn’t seem aware of speciality luggage drop off, so we chose to roll our bag over to the drop off just to be sure. The luggage arrived very quickly to cabin. 

did you go in via gate 8 or 10?

Gate 8 - drove past cruise terminal on the left (which was where the RS/PS luggage drop off was and signposting to this was good). And then car park we were directed to was further past the terminal building on the right hand side.

Edited by CocoCronut

Gosh, surprised to see this thread appear again. We just returned from a 29 June 2019 Independence of the Seas sailing ex. Southampton. Royal does not offer luggage drop off for suites but we had parking with ABP. We entered the port via gate 8 which is easier on two fronts. If Celebrity is offering luggage drop off then you drive past the front of the City terminal. If not, I would still suggest entering the luggage drop of zone were there are trolleys from gate 8. The ABP parking is about 75 metres away and we were directed to the car park on the first left after the drop off zone. If you have a lot of luggage (I did manage just 4 cases this time with RC than 7 with Celebrity as did not pack formals), it is easier to drop off and someone wait with your luggage if necessary whilst the other parks the car. I find the ABP staff to be a bit officious and they tell you were to park your car so you could end up a long way from the luggage drop off.

Just as an aside. After our 2018 sailing we were undecided about whether we would ever sail Celebrity again and even though we did receive an incentive to book due to issues on that cruise we thought not. Let's just say that after 2 days on board Independence after a 10 year hiatus, I went to Future Cruise and for the first time ever, booked a June 2020 sailing on Equinox from Fort Lauderdale whilst on board. The combination of an underwhelming suite experience (They do have the plus of 2 bedroom suites which are absent from Celebrity as my son invited a friend along) and the dominance of some of pinnacles in the Suite Lounge was enough to send us scurrying back to Celebrity.

Chemmo, if you read this. I believe you sailed out the US when you had problems with your leg? Could you sign post any reviews/musings you have written about your experience there would be gratefully received. I am debating using a luggage forward service to ship some luggage direct to and from Fort Lauderdale even though our airline hold allowance is 3 bags each, between my 6 foot 5" son and my poor Ford Focus, cannot accommodate so much luggage.

2 hours ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

......They do have the plus of 2 bedroom suites which are absent from Celebrity ...

They do in the guise of the reflection suite on Reflection and in theory will have on all the S class ships post revolution.

1 minute ago, groryjm said:

They do in the guise of the reflection suite on Reflection and in theory will have on all the S class ships post revolution.

Lol. Even I after 29 years of marriage, I would struggle to justify the Reflection suite for 3 people.

I have not been keeping up with Celebrity news but hope the Revolution is a bit more than the renovation they completed on the revitalised Independence in 2018 as the only difference we could see inside our cabin and peeking into others as we walked along the guest corridors was a change in carpet. The suite is showing signs of its age. It would seem that although the brands are sister companies, it would seem that a renovation means very different things on each line.

I believe there were issues with Equinox revolution and the Reflection suite and signature suites were not added. We had wanted to try a signature suite but alas, it is not to be. Maybe I could use this as an excuse to try Celebrity again after 2020.

2 hours ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

Gosh, surprised to see this thread appear again. We just returned from a 29 June 2019 Independence of the Seas sailing ex. Southampton. Royal does not offer luggage drop off for suites but we had parking with ABP. We entered the port via gate 8 which is easier on two fronts. If Celebrity is offering luggage drop off then you drive past the front of the City terminal. If not, I would still suggest entering the luggage drop of zone were there are trolleys from gate 8. The ABP parking is about 75 metres away and we were directed to the car park on the first left after the drop off zone. If you have a lot of luggage (I did manage just 4 cases this time with RC than 7 with Celebrity as did not pack formals), it is easier to drop off and someone wait with your luggage if necessary whilst the other parks the car. I find the ABP staff to be a bit officious and they tell you were to park your car so you could end up a long way from the luggage drop off.

Just as an aside. After our 2018 sailing we were undecided about whether we would ever sail Celebrity again and even though we did receive an incentive to book due to issues on that cruise we thought not. Let's just say that after 2 days on board Independence after a 10 year hiatus, I went to Future Cruise and for the first time ever, booked a June 2020 sailing on Equinox from Fort Lauderdale whilst on board. The combination of an underwhelming suite experience (They do have the plus of 2 bedroom suites which are absent from Celebrity as my son invited a friend along) and the dominance of some of pinnacles in the Suite Lounge was enough to send us scurrying back to Celebrity.

Chemmo, if you read this. I believe you sailed out the US when you had problems with your leg? Could you sign post any reviews/musings you have written about your experience there would be gratefully received. I am debating using a luggage forward service to ship some luggage direct to and from Fort Lauderdale even though our airline hold allowance is 3 bags each, between my 6 foot 5" son and my poor Ford Focus, cannot accommodate so much luggage.

Yorkshire-Pudding! Lovely to hear from you! It sounds like your Independence Cruise was less than stellar...

We are once again cruising Equinox in a RS in September from Fort Lauderdale spending some time in Orlando first...Our adult son will be with us.

I still have some mobility issues but thankfully I will not be cruising in an orthopaedic boot as I did from Southampton! After saying that it was a fantastic cruise.

Do you now have a mobility issue or are you just concerned re luggage? We have for over 20 years now been regularly cruising from Fort Lauderdale. We find cruising from the US very easy, I do ask for wheelchair support as needed but booking a RS does reduce the need as you are ‘speeded’ through everything and as those, like me, who can walk/stand but not for long it is often the queuing that is the issue!

Let me know your issues/concerns in more detail and I will try my best to respond...

17 hours ago, chemmo said:

Do you now have a mobility issue or are you just concerned re luggage? We have for over 20 years now been regularly cruising from Fort Lauderdale. We find cruising from the US very easy, I do ask for wheelchair support as needed but booking a RS does reduce the need as you are ‘speeded’ through everything and as those, like me, who can walk/stand but not for long it is often the queuing that is the issue!

Let me know your issues/concerns in more detail and I will try my best to respond...

Dear Chemmo,

Thanks for your kind response. I don't personally have any mobility issues (aside from being lazy) but on my last 2018 Celebrity sailing, my MiL was travelling with us and she had become quite infirm between booking and sailing due to cancer, hence the interest in your mobility issues. We hired her a mobility scooter for use on the ship but she refused to use it, but occasionally used a wheelchair for tours. That was her last cruise as she is too ill so won't travel with us again, so just DH, DS and myself.

The luggage thing relates to 2 issues. I pack a lot because as my DH and DS comment, I can't stay clean to reuse anything because I am messy. The other is convenience. Touring with only hand luggage in Japan a few years ago was sheer bliss. Next cruise, its 8 nights on ship, 6 on beach (3 days either side) so just pondering the logistics. My last fly/cruise was to Alaska and we left clothes for goodwill because of the internal flights baggage limits. The 2020 sailing, no internal flights and airline luggage allowance to/from Florida is more than sufficient, but handling lots does't make it a good idea. Also depending on the exchange rate, a little stateside shopping is a nice to do whilst we are in Florida. 

And yes, booked an RS again. The 2 bed on Independence was more roomy, but DH agreed that he missed the Celebrity RS touches even though we had unlimited dining and drink package on Indy. I like to spend time in the cabin and Indy was just not the same vibe. Hope the photo of the master bedroom bathroom in the suite illuminates what I mean.

image.thumb.png.2d21676d75a72655ba1671f2d241cfd8.png

4 hours ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

Dear Chemmo,

Thanks for your kind response. I don't personally have any mobility issues (aside from being lazy) but on my last 2018 Celebrity sailing, my MiL was travelling with us and she had become quite infirm between booking and sailing due to cancer, hence the interest in your mobility issues. We hired her a mobility scooter for use on the ship but she refused to use it, but occasionally used a wheelchair for tours. That was her last cruise as she is too ill so won't travel with us again, so just DH, DS and myself.

The luggage thing relates to 2 issues. I pack a lot because as my DH and DS comment, I can't stay clean to reuse anything because I am messy. The other is convenience. Touring with only hand luggage in Japan a few years ago was sheer bliss. Next cruise, its 8 nights on ship, 6 on beach (3 days either side) so just pondering the logistics. My last fly/cruise was to Alaska and we left clothes for goodwill because of the internal flights baggage limits. The 2020 sailing, no internal flights and airline luggage allowance to/from Florida is more than sufficient, but handling lots does't make it a good idea. Also depending on the exchange rate, a little stateside shopping is a nice to do whilst we are in Florida. 

And yes, booked an RS again. The 2 bed on Independence was more roomy, but DH agreed that he missed the Celebrity RS touches even though we had unlimited dining and drink package on Indy. I like to spend time in the cabin and Indy was just not the same vibe. Hope the photo of the master bedroom bathroom in the suite illuminates what I mean.

image.thumb.png.2d21676d75a72655ba1671f2d241cfd8.png

We have never found RC as good a suite experience...On the Freedom class we preferred the RS to the two bedroomed suite. The much nicer bathroom, living room space and balcony far outweighed our son being a sofa bed sleeper! In terms of service we much prefer the intimate service off a butler on Celebrity who actually does things for you than a ‘Genie’ who just seems to want to secure theatre seats for you!

Re packing...

For a start in our house we share three cases...One we do not intend to open until on the ship. One with a mix of leisure clothes and a couple of nicer outfits so if our ‘cruise’ suitcase doesn’t arrive we are not totally stuck and a smaller case which has shoes, cosmetics and bits and bobs in....

If we are staying in Fort Lauderdale or elsewhere in Florida for more than a day or two we look at alternative accommodation to hotels. Villas and Condos offer great value for money and space...For one night only we will book Embassy Suites or equivalents but for longer it is worth while to look at accommodation that offers a full kitchen (with washer/dryer!). You can still dine out every night but have so many more ‘family friendly’ room set up opportunities. Remember if you are staying at the same property pre and post cruise you can leave a hold-all at your hotel/motel/condo with bits and bobs you may not want on your cruise...We have sometimes left beers/sodas etc...as well as clothing items.

We did have a flying crisis crisis in March last year when our flights were cancelled last minute owing to the East American Coastal weather..When only one of our suitcases initially arrived with us we were not totally at a loss, we all had clean undies and one set of shorts T shirts and swimwear!

We like to pack ‘light’ going out so that on return we have no issues with any ‘mall’ purchases. We do find ‘chic’ nights more relaxed in the Caribbean than on cruising from Southampton. We still pack smart clothes but not quite as formal...

We cruise on Equinox in about 8 weeks...We have a villa booked in Orlando first then a couple of overnights pre and post cruise in Fort Lauderdale...Luggage is not an issue.

My husband and son will share 1/2 of each of three cases. I will have 1/2 of each of three cases....I will pack leaving space to enjoy some retail therapy. My husband and son will thank me for organising the packing...Everyone is a winner!