Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Parrothead8 - We stayed at the BW Oceanside some years ago. It was not what we wanted. Rooms were really musty and damp from years of saltwater/poolwater and it is not on the beach. We were there with a bus tour who took over the entire hotel. I would not recommend.

Hi, I'm new to posting...please excuse any slights. I've just booked AmeriSuites for one night before our cruise at the end of March. This morning I read the reviews on tripadvisor and am re-considering this choice as most of the reviews were negative. Should I stay with this hotel or look for something else?

Hi, I'm new to posting...please excuse any slights. I've just booked AmeriSuites for one night before our cruise at the end of March. This morning I read the reviews on tripadvisor and am re-considering this choice as most of the reviews were negative. Should I stay with this hotel or look for something else?

From what I've read on this board, the Amerisuites is fine. I actually tried to book it myself for October but couldn't get the rate I wanted so I ended up with the Extended Stay.

I'm sure one of the others can give you more information.

I've also read through this whole board (I'm exhausted!)

Early last year when this started, there were some very definitive negative comments about this hotel and neighbourhood - has it changed, is it as dangerous as stated? We have a room booked, but I can change if need be.

Can someone comment? We won't have a car, so will be cabbing anywhere - can you suggest a safe neighbourhood to go do a little shopping - okay - liquor store! :D

Early last year when this started, there were some very definitive negative comments about this hotel and neighbourhood - has it changed, is it as dangerous as stated? We have a room booked, but I can change if need be.

Can someone comment? We won't have a car, so will be cabbing anywhere - can you suggest a safe neighbourhood to go do a little shopping - okay - liquor store! :D

Rob & Nancy, The HIX on SR84 is in a safer section of SR84 then say the Ramada. It's an area going through some gentrification so to speak. Right next door to the HIX is a brand new Candlewood Suites due to open next month. You'll be fine, stick with the plan to cab it when you need to go out at night. During the day you'll be ok, ask the desk clerk where to be cautious of.

For shopping, have the cab take you to the Harbor Shops Plaza on SE 17th Street (3 minutes from your hotel). It's located behind the Embassy Suites. From there you can walk around and shop. There's a Publix Supermarket there as well as Total Wine & Liquor (the Home Depot of liquor stores). If you have time hop on the Sun Trolley. For 50 cents you can see all of S.E. 17th Street, A1A, Ft Lauderdale Beach. It runs in a big loop with a trolley coming by every 15 minutes. You can get on and off wherever you like. ;)

Thank you Bequia! That puts me much more at ease! This is our first time in Ft. Lauderdale, and I'm really looking forward to seeing your city. You should be collecting commission from the City for your great work!

Nancy

Hi Hugger,

May I ask where you got the $89.00 rate for Extended Stay America in April ? We usually stay at the Amerisuites but the best rate I could get was $129.00.for April. We are arriving at 10:00 in the evening and leaving around 11:00 AM the next day. How far from the port is ESA. Do they have an airport pickup ? Thanks much, Knarf(Frank backwards)

Absolutely. I love hanging at Lulu's, sitting at the rail overlooking the ocean and the pedestrian traffic below. Great nachos, ice cold beer and a decent rum runner. Lulus is in Beach Place, just tell the driver he'll know where to stop. Have fun, I know you will. ;)

I too have read this entire thread over my morning coffee......whew! I also am looking for something pre cruise in November and have been astounded at the prices for simple 2-3 * Hotels in the area! What is it about this area that commands such riduculous prices? We were hoping for something under 130-150.00 (150.00 being absolute highest price) :rolleyes:

We are a family of 3 with a 6 yr old, and although we dont want to put a lot of money into a room before we cruise, we will if it keeps us safe (and clean). My husband wants to stay in Miami at Holiday Inn port of Miami again and drive BACK to Ft, Lauderdale for our cruise:eek: , but I am not thrilled about the idea. I would prefer to be as close to OUR cruise port as possible.

I have not tried Priceline yet , because the last time I was unsuccesful for our last cruise in 2004. I am going to give it a try though just to say "I TRIED". How far out can you make a bid on PL? Our cruise leaves out 11-24-07 so we will need something on 11-23-07.

If pricing is pretty much the same, why not consider the HIX on 17th street, and save all of the commuting from SR 84 to do your sight-seeing?:confused:

I've not visited there, this thought is purely from a research position. I know that Bequia must have better insight regarding this than I, but curious anyway.

Good Luck!

Absolutely. I love hanging at Lulu's, sitting at the rail overlooking the ocean and the pedestrian traffic below. Great nachos, ice cold beer and a decent rum runner. Lulus is in Beach Place, just tell the driver he'll know where to stop. Have fun, I know you will. ;)

Yipee, I can't wait. If you are around Thursday the 8th, meet us in the afternoon and we will celebrate our vacation :D !

We are driving to Florida this week and staying at Sleep Inn before the cruise. I noticed you left your car there; did you think it was perfectly safe? ws the cost $5.00 ad day?Thanks for any info you can give me.

I too have read this entire thread over my morning coffee......whew! I also am looking for something pre cruise in November and have been astounded at the prices for simple 2-3 * Hotels in the area! What is it about this area that commands such riduculous prices? We were hoping for something under 130-150.00 (150.00 being absolute highest price) :rolleyes:

We are a family of 3 with a 6 yr old, and although we dont want to put a lot of money into a room before we cruise, we will if it keeps us safe (and clean). My husband wants to stay in Miami at Holiday Inn port of Miami again and drive BACK to Ft, Lauderdale for our cruise:eek: , but I am not thrilled about the idea. I would prefer to be as close to OUR cruise port as possible.

I have not tried Priceline yet , because the last time I was unsuccesful for our last cruise in 2004. I am going to give it a try though just to say "I TRIED". How far out can you make a bid on PL? Our cruise leaves out 11-24-07 so we will need something on 11-23-07.

Check out Hotwire. Type in Ft. Lauderdale and the dates you want. Then check "downtown area" when the next page pops up (the box is on the left) You will see a 4* for $xxx. Its easy to know what they are talking about because, the only 4* in the Las Olas-Downtown-Port Everglades area is the Renaissance by Marriott. (just punch in for two adults, as if you punch in for 3 it won't show up) I just won it about 15 mins ago for our October cruise ($112) I also did this for our past December cruise, and we loved the hotel. It is directly across from the port and close to shopping and restaurants. The usual rate starts at $239 so I think we got a deal. I was able to call and request the room type that I wanted. They were very accomodating!

We are driving to Florida this week and staying at Sleep Inn before the cruise. I noticed you left your car there; did you think it was perfectly safe? ws the cost $5.00 ad day?Thanks for any info you can give me.

The cost in December was $7. per day. Much less expensive than the port.

there is a walgreen's drugstore right across the parking lot. there is a shopping center across the street with an italian restaurant, mexican restaurant and a chinese restaurant plus a publix grocery store, which also sells wine and beer and hot take out foods. also there is a dollar store.

we have stayed there twice pre cruise and found it to be very convenient with shuttle from airport and to cruiseport. it's a nice area. pool area is nice with tables and chairs. we sat out til late at night. it was quiet. rooms were nice, clean as were the bathrooms. we would definitely go back.

it was a 10.00 taxi ride to oakdale, or something similar, shopping center with kmart, marshalls, old navy, costco, plus a bunch of other stores. also more restaurants in that area.

We also booked Sleep Inn for April looking forward to it. We will be at the hotel around noon and wondered if anyone had any idea of what there is around that area that is in walking distance.

We'll be there on 4/13 - what date are you going to be there? We are sailing on the Summit the next day

Archived