Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

It's all so bizarre though, every post on these boards raves about the Sleep Inn and then BAM it goes down the dumps in one stay.

At one time Amerisuites was the place to stay according to fellow cruisers then the posts started to mention slight deficiencies, then more and more cruisers were posting how the hotel had gone down hill or wasn't anything like their previous stays. Point being, you followed the hotels demise from being a top rated economical hotel to a second class hotel over a period of three or four months. (Amerisuites was purchased by Hyatt and will be remodeled and rebranded into a Hyatt Place, hence the downfall). For the Sleep Inn to go down the tubes overnight...what's up with that?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm hoping you post the response you get from corporate. I look forward to reading reports from our fellow cruisers who stick with their plans to stay there.

I reported here after our stay in mid January comparing this hotel with the Comfort Suites Airport/ Cruiseport just off of 17th St. and had the same experience as Ltvscout had with the odor, filthy carpet, mold and hair. This was also the 3rd floor. Our other groups were on different floors of this hotel and did not have these problems. Makes me wonder if it is just the staff on the 3rd floor?? I also complained via the internet to Choice Hotels of the odor, etc., and heard not a word back from them.

I also complained via the internet to Choice Hotels of the odor, etc., and heard not a word back from them.

When I send my concerns to corporate I'm going to do it via snail mail. Even though we're in the 21st century, for whatever reason people/companies don't treat email the same as they do regular hard copy snail mail yet.

Interesting. I'm looking forward to reading reviews from other cruisers staying at the Sleep Inn since your stay. Curious to see if they had a similar experience.

DH, myself, along with two friends will be there 3 & 2 days pre cruise starting next Wednesday. we are also booked for 4 & 1 days post cruise from the 22nd. Bequia, I will post as soon as we are back in the UK. :rolleyes:

DH, myself, along with two friends will be there 3 & 2 days pre cruise starting next Wednesday. we are also booked for 4 & 1 days post cruise from the 22nd. Bequia, I will post as soon as we are back in the UK. :rolleyes:
DW and I are the 'friends'..! We will post before the end of April, so anyone having issues/concerns with the Sleep Inn can either 'rest in peace', or book elsewhere! :p "Sleep Sweet"! :)

My wife and I will be staying there on the 13th. I really don't expect to have any problems. the overwhelming number of comments have been favorable and I have been following them for the best part of the year.

While there is always the fluke happening, I've found most problems can be taken care of with a little TLC and a friendly request.

I'll try to post our experience from the hotel itself. :):)

I reported here after our stay in mid January comparing this hotel with the Comfort Suites Airport/ Cruiseport just off of 17th St. and had the same experience as Ltvscout had with the odor, filthy carpet, mold and hair. This was also the 3rd floor. Our other groups were on different floors of this hotel and did not have these problems. Makes me wonder if it is just the staff on the 3rd floor?? I also complained via the internet to Choice Hotels of the odor, etc., and heard not a word back from them.

I stayed in room 323. It was only the smell of the cleaning items when I first checked in. But when I returned to the room 30 minutes later, the smell was gone. Otherwise no problem with the room. I guess that I just lucked out.

Any one with any info on the property??? Safe area??? Dining nearby???

Thanks

Dan

Stayed there last week. Super safe area. Lots of dining choices (Sports bar/Steak house, Outback Steakhouse, and others) and all kinds of shopping (Publix, Yacht store, other high end, etc.) right out the back door. Try to stay on a high floor because they have been renovated already. Rest are being renovated later this year.

They offer a cruise package which includes a free shuttle to the pier, if you call in your reservation. But I heard them asking the other day if anyone else was going to the cruise terminal...so, they must have had available seats. They do NOT offer a shuttle from the airport or the pier because they can't have the shuttle sitting around waiting. ...the cab costs about $10. If you stay after the cruise they will bring you back to the airport for free.

Jeff says they made the best omelets he has ever eaten.

This is where Regent puts their people up. Very nice. Free internet kiosk with 3 terminals. Gorgeous pool area!!! The italian restaurant in the hotel was very good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Need suggestions for PreCruise Hotel/motel near airport and port in

Fort Lauderdale. Sail 2/29/08. Not having much luck in finding place that is not already sold out. Not sure what is happening in Ft. Lauderdale that time of year. Looking for place that has free shuttle from airport and to port.

Ft. Lauderdale is on the east coast of Florida, you will find many posts about your question on the East Coast Departure board.

Also, February is peak tourist season for South Florida. You should expect to pay a minimum of $125 for a decent (budget) motel. Yes, you can find bargains, but exercise caution. I am in the hotel business in Florida, and I would be very suspicious of a much lower rate than that in FLL in Feb.. You do not want anything creepy or dirty, and those are the places who offer low rates just to sell rooms.

Ft. Lauderdale is on the east coast of Florida, you will find many posts about your question on the East Coast Departure board.

Also, February is peak tourist season for South Florida. You should expect to pay a minimum of $125 for a decent (budget) motel. Yes, you can find bargains, but exercise caution. I am in the hotel business in Florida, and I would be very suspicious of a much lower rate than that in FLL in Feb.. You do not want anything creepy or dirty, and those are the places who offer low rates just to sell rooms.

I have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale but this will be first time going in one

day early for cruise. Can you suggest a motel/hotel? What do you know about Comfort Suites - Airport (Fort Lauderdale)? Seems that something is going on

in Ft. Lauderdale that week as so many hotels are booked. I thank you for

your reply.

Hi Texkan,

Stayed here pre cruise in January of this year! Found it to be a bit worn but clean and comfy. Great staff, decent continental breakfast too. A good area within walking distance of about everything on 17th Street without spending high dollars for the other hotels close by. A bit of advice for the free shuttle though, VERY BUSY and seemed a bit unorganized. Save yourself a hassle and just ask the front desk to call you a taxi as it is only a $10 fare to the port. Any more info I can offer to you just post and I'll try to answer!

Has anyone stayed here? I am due to stay there pre cruise the end of Sept.

I stayed at the Yankee TRADER a few miles north of the Clipper...good hotel, remodeled restaurant (Shula's On The Beach)...about $175 pp...would stay there again.

Do not know what is going on in FFL but we stayed at the Harbour Beach by Marriot. A little pricey but super nice. We could see oour ship from our balcony. Happy Cruising:)

A LITTLE pricey? I just checked their site for our date (March 8) and ONE room is $500 for the night! Yikes.

I'm leaning towards the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. They have a shuttle to/from airport and to the pier. Rooms can be had right now for my night for about $210. I thought at first that was bad, but after seeing the $500 price tag, I'm reconsidering and thinking it might just be ok.

We are presently holding a reservation for Sleep Inn in Dania, but after reading some gross things about it, I'm a little nervous about staying there.

I might drive myself insane before I secure a hotel room for precruise. It's a shame, if you ask me, that you can cruise for $700 for a whole week but you can't get a decent precruise room for under $200. :mad: :confused:

Kim

Camperhawk- The Comfort Suites on 1800 S. Fed. Hwy are according

to the map about 1 mile from cruise terminal and 2 miles from airport.

We got a good internet price for the rooms we booked for Feb. 2008. Free

shuttle from airport and free shuttle to cruise terminal.

CAMPERHAWK & TEXKAN,

Yes, the location IS NOT next to the airport, it is on S. Federal Highway and 17th Street. It was CLEAN. though a bit worn as it is not a new hotel.(this compared to our post cruise stay at the Sleep Inn in Dania) and I would stay here myself again w/o hesitation. If you walk towards the Embassy Suites from out back of this hotel, you will run into a shopping mall area, liquor stores and restaurants within an easy distance. We ate at Ernies BBQ across the street in front of the hotel... all I can say is YUMMY!! Nice clod "refreshments"as well. As I posted above, the morning shuttle to the port is nothing short of a nightmare as they are taking people to AND from the port. As I recommended, I'd call for a taxi, why get to the ship already stressed out from that zoo!! Minimal cost, more pleasant experience. ($10.00 total PER taxi). As for the shuttle FROM the airport, it was easy and fairly quick, just use the bank of phones at the baggage area to call this hotel! I truly found it to be a bargain considering the other higher priced hotels in this area. If your room happens to be at the back over the parking lot, open your curtains and you will be able to see the port. Ramps up the anticipation level a bit when you can see your ship!!

As far as trip advisor, it wasn't highly recommended when I stayed there but having been there, I don't believe everything that this site has on it either! The Sleep Inn in Dania was highly rated and I WOULD NOT stay there again.

I just booked for December, wonder if the shuttle will be as hetic in the morning since we are sailing on a Thursday? I got tired of waiting to see if Amerisuites will be offered on Value trips since it changed hands. I got this hotel for the same price I paid last December for the Amerisuites. Anyone stayed at both these hotels and could compare? We were very satisfied with our stay there, and think I remember the Comfort Suites when we were on the trolley. Thanks

Archived