Mayan ruins options?

katjoeus

I understand there are a bunch of different locations, some closer to the port than others; as far as interestingness, if anyone has done them, I'd love to hear from you! We're trying to figure out what to do during our day in Belize (we'll be docked in Belize City on September 19).

I've seen some excursions that include a boat ride on a river, which I think we'd enjoy. Again, recommendations and information much appreciated!

Also if you could recommend tour operators.

Thanks in advance!

Xunantunich is a long 2 hour bus ride each direction...but...it is worth it. Beautiful country, beautiful ruins, great lunch at a little restaurant on way back. We did this one, and loved every minute, even in the heat of August.

Lamanai has the boat ride as part of the tour, on the way to the ruins. Haven't done it yet, but plan to next time.

Altun Ha is the smaller ruin that is closest to Belize city.

These are the ones most cruises offer. Some also offer a trip to another ruin, near Xunantunich, can't remember the name. Someone on our cruise did it and said it was great.

You can get to Altun Ha via a River Wallace trip too.

Lamanai is the furthest away and should be considered an all day venture.

I think the other site near Xunantunich is Cahal Pech. There's a resort near there, but not sure if there which vendors may be offering day trips.

My sense is for very excavated ruins with clean grounds and a relatively short trip, leaving time for other things, do Altun Ha. River Wallace tour will take a little longer. boat up bus back.

For good set of high ruins with views from top of temples, do Xunantunich. Probably closer to how the city was during Maya times.

For a less excavated, quasi- Indian Jones, feel and a sense of what Catherwood and Stephens in the 1800s might have seen, travel to Lamanai.

We went to Lamanai and enjoyed it. Make sure you have a long port time if using an Independent excursion. Otherwise, book through the ship to ensure the ship waits for you if there are any delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums