Feel Guilty about leaving the Family Pet home?

cruzzers

Just wondering what everyone does with their spoiled dog or cat while they cruise. We will be leaving our very spoiled dog at the kennel this next cruise and feel a bit guilty about him being there for 17 nights. We were just curious what most of you do with your animals while you are cruising.

Our two dogs and one cat go to the kennel (which is actually part of our vet's practice, so we know they'll be well taken care of). As much as we love them, they never have volunteered to go to work in my place, so I don't feel too badly about leaving them behind when we go on a vacation. Any pet that has my wife for an owner has the best deal going, regardless of species (humans included).

We left our mini dashunds (Petey and Patti) home, and had our next door neighbor take care of them. They were outdoor dogs with their blankets and doghouse.

Of course we had to take care of their dogs, when they were gone, worked great, dogs were in their homes and we saved a few bucks........:)

We have a house sitter who stays at our house and lets the dogs sleep in bed with her while we are gone. We go on 3 or 4 week long trips a year and she is always willing to hang out at our house. In return we give her small amount of cash lots of cable stations and a frigdge with all of her favorite foods. She has been a lifesavor for guilt free cruising :)

Well, we leave next Friday so the suitcases came out today. My cats are already giving me "the look'. You know the one. We have been really lucky the last few vacations. My nephew lives here in town and is a poor college student, so we pay him to housesit and take care of the kitties. He's a good kid...no wild parties or anything and his folks live here in town too and they keep a constant eye on him. The poor kid couldn't get away with anything if he tried...LOL. Anyway, we like having someone at the house while we are gone for the pets and the security and he likes the money, so it works out well for everybody. He loves animals and I know he spoils them as much as we do.

We know the feeling! We have a Rat Terrier that considers me the other woman in my husband's life. To say she is spoiled is an understatement. When we vacation our neighbors come over and take care of her. She is fine with them when we are home, when we leave she becomes the "devil dog" and wants to eat them. They are always so patient and we apologize for months ahead of time and after our return.

Of course we just bought them a Cocker Spaniel puppy so I have a feeling we will be happily returning the favor.

Do you know of any neighborhood children that could check in and take care of your four legged friend? Or a neighbor you could trust to walk, water and feed fido? Good Luck. Keep in mind dogs have very little concept of time. When you are gone they really don't know if you have just been out shopping for four hours or on vacation for a week. They tend to forgive and forget very quickly. :D

We have a wonderful kennel with large individual runs. We were very nervous leaving our dog there when we first got her since she was very nervous being a rescued dog. We had used this kennel for 10 years with our previous dog who loved going there...he thought he was going to camp. They treated our current baby very tenderly and she now does very well....going to the attendant willingly. We do pay a bit extra for her to have an hour of individual play time every day.

In the past I've had my step-daughter stay with my daughter (who turned down the offer to cruise). They would both watch our two Jack Russell Terriers. Now my daughter attends college in another state, so I checked into kennels. Needless to say, I just couldn't do it. It seemed to be a great kennel and they have a good reputation, but I decided I would cancel the cruise before I left them there. I called my step-daughter asked her if she'd be willing to just stay with the girls. As an incentive I offered to make her car payment that month (which was significantly cheaper than the kennel) , it worked, she stayed.

In September when I booked my next cruise on the Island I called her again and asked her what she was doing for two weeks in February of 2007. I told her that I had booked another cruise and she asked, same deal as the last time? I replied-absolutely. She said, I'll be there.

My DH spends a fair amount of time on the road and these girls are my buddies when he's gone. I'm grateful that I can still vacation and they can still stay at home.

Just wondering what everyone does with their spoiled dog or cat while they cruise. We will be leaving our very spoiled dog at the kennel this next cruise and feel a bit guilty about him being there for 17 nights. We were just curious what most of you do with your animals while you are cruising.

My Westie goes to grandma's and grandpa's while we vacation. Like her two legged grandchildren my mother spoils her "granddoghter" a lot (even more than we do!). Unfortunately we have to pack in secret so she doesn't catch on that she's not going to be with me (she's very, very attached to me). Until my mom began to really spoil her she would cry for an hour when I dropped her off for a "visit".

Eileen

We have three cats and leave them in a kennel (called a "cattery" in the UK). It's owned by a retired vet so we feel that they are very safe in her care, but we still feel guilty leaving them!

We don't have anyone who could "babysit" the cats, but I wouldn't trust them with anyone in any case. I like to know they are secure in the cattery. I did read an article that said it's more stressful for pets to be in their own homes when the owners are away than to be left at a good boarding place, because they can't understand where the owners are and why someone else is living in the house.

My brother has a regular pet-sitter that he has come and watch his cats (or has he puts it, his "kids") when he is gone more than overnight. She doesn't actually stay at the house overnight, but comes twice daily and feeds them, checks their water, makes sure they get their "exercise" and some love and attention.

A friend of his actually operates a pet-sitting service in San Francisco and my brother has thought of starting his own service where he lives in San Diego.

we're back from 19 nights on the Diamond and have arrived home to a 'demented' siamese cat - our grown kids (25 and 27) begrudgingly looked after him as he didn't stop whinging the whole time. He also fell into our pool which was a bit scary.

It is never easy to leave a loved pet and we e-mailed almost every day to make sure they didn't forget to feed, water and most of all give him the love he needs:)

When I leave on February 23rd, my cat will be spending his "vacation" at his "condo" in the country. It's a very nice boarding facility - the cats have their own three-level unit - the bottom level is the bathroom, "dining" room, and access to an fully enclosed outdoor area - the second level is for sleeping and the top level is the "sun deck" - there's a window where the cats can soak up the rays and look outside and sometimes be entertained by the wildlife, such as rabbits. While I know he will be well cared for while I'm away, I will get to know how he felt about the experience a few days after I return. The last time he was boarded he waited about four days before he got "pay back" - he tried to trip me as I was walking around the house!

We bring our dog and 4 cats to our animal hospital where they go for routine checkups/shots etc. They also board animals which are registered at that hospital. It's a bit pricey. We are super good to our pets for 358 days a year. For that 1 week that we're away they are in good hands. We do not worry about them (we do miss them though) :)

Cruzzers don't feel guilty about putting you dog in a kennel, most of my clients "kids" (dogs) have a great time at the kennel. I have owned and operated a dog/cat boarding kennel for over 40 years now and would be glad to help answer any kenneling, vacation planning for your pets. It is very very important to research the kennel, vet clinic, pet sitter, friend, etc. that you want to entrust your pet with. Feel free to ask.

Donna

Kenelmom

Holiday Kennels

Porter, TX

I have four schnauzers who are of course spoiled like all of your pets. I feel awful when I board them. I just rescued a Hurrican Katrina dog 3 months ago and just now she's getting over it. The only comfort I have is that they have each other while I'm away. Just booked the kennel two days ago, not crazy about it, so I'll be doing lots of research the next couple of weeks. Can anyone recommend a good kennel on Long Island?

I don't know of kennels on Long Island, but you should ask your vet, grooming shop, rescue group that you got your Katrina pup, (thank you for sharing your home with this rescue dog) for their thoughts on the kennel you have booked. Don't just talk to the kennel on the phone! Go and look them over. You should not have to make an appointment to do this. Remember ANY kennel can be clean if they know you are coming. Treat all kennels like day care for children pop in to have a look. Later today I will post a "what to ask a kennel operator" and that might help you.

I have a sad story. Our neighbor four houses down was gone on vacation. Left his Australian shepherd at the neighbor's house and his cat in his own home. There was talk of leaving the dog in the house as well and just have the neighbor come over to feed and walk. At any rate, on Saturday night his house burned to the ground. No more cat....but one lucky dog. I always leave my pets with family or a good kennel.

I have four cats and a wonderful cat sitter. She comes twice a day and leaves a "dear diary" of who she saw, who did what, etc. Each time she comes, she stays at least half an hour, feeding and playing with them. It's expensive but less expensive than putting four cats in a kennel and I have the peace of mind to be able to leave for extended periods of time and not worry about my cats.

Most cats hate being in a kennel. If you have a good petsitter for a cat all the better. IMO the only reason to put a cat in the kennel is for a safe location. I tell my clients if you are only going to be gone for a long weekend a cat will do fine at home. Dogs need more inter action with people and for the most part are not safe left at home. That being said I do feel smaller breeds do better in the home with a good petsitter that will make at least two visits a day.

We live in a two-family home, so our dog just stays with her grandparents, where she also spends days while we work. She watches for us in the evenings but is otherwise ok. We call home every day to make sure she is ok (and oh yes, to check on my elderly parents) ;) .

DH and I were supposed to go to WDW Jan 1-8. We left on the 1st (Sunday). Monday night my mom told me they'd had to take the dog to the vet because she was listless. Turns out her liver is acting up (she's had liver disease for some years, under control). Tuesday morning we talked to the vet, he said everything's fine, stay there, all's under control. DH and I debated whether to come back, but decided to heed the vet's advice. Tuesday night and Weds. morning everything's fine. Weds. night my mom was beside herself with worry because the dog wasn't responding well to the treatment. So there I am, at 10 pm, calling AA to change our flight for the 8:00 am one the next day. Ended up paying (gasp, gulp) $1,220 :eek: for the change because all flights were fully booked and only business class was available. But we were home at noon on Thursday. We've had to take her to get shots every day and she's spending the day at the vet's today for a bile acid test and sonogram. Our April cruise is in jeopardy because (1) we don't know what her liver will be doing in a couple of months and we reallly can't leave my parents in charge if she's going to be in a very delicate state and (2) we're throwing money at the vet like it's confetti, not to mention that the $1,220 is the fare for one person on our cruise! I'm not removing it from my siggy yet... one can hope :)

amapola, It sounds like you need to sit down and have a heart to heart talk with your vet. If this is an old kid, he needs to tell you what he/she is going to have to go thru. Ask your self what is fair to put this dog thru. I have my fingers crossed for you that this is a young dog that's liver will come back to full function.

We've always left our animals with a trusted housesitter or kennel and only felt guilt once.

Our daughter was 6 years-old and it was our first big family vacation. Disney. We were enjoying sights when suddenly she burst into tears. We asked what was wrong and she said, "I was counting my family and then I remembered Smitty (the cat) wasn't here." She was inconsolable for most of that day.

I *have* felt some guilt about leaving the kids behind. :) We've cruised a couple of times as part of a business group my husband belongs to. No kids. If you think the face of sad pet renders guilt, you should be at the receiving end of you're-leaving-us-behind look from a kid.

Here is what I do for my "little people" clients I give them a addressed post card with their pet's "room number" on it and tell them I will read the post card to the pet when it comes to the kennel. I really do because I won't lie to a child. I pin the card to the run so when the child comes to get the pet they will see "their" postcard. Very important to let the child see where the pet is going to be and reasure them the they are at camp having fun with new friends. The same could be done by mailing card to the home for the pet sitter. This real seems to help the kids a lot.

Archived