Feel Guilty about leaving the Family Pet home?

cruzzers

Folks that wildly 'stab in the dark' really excite me! For just that reason, I'm trying to look up this young fellow traveler Jennifer Hegel-Smith. Between cruising and wild stabs in the dark, I think I'm in LOVE! I could teach that little minx a thing or two!

As to your question about formal night... jeans!, certainly not! I usually wear a tailored snakeskin tux with a stunning matched cummerbund and shoes that are extremely comfortable. I won't tell you what they're made of, but I'll give you a hint... Good shoes should always have a nik-name, so I call them "Rover"...

Rocky (our miniature schnauzer) gets to spend a week or 2 with my 82 year old mother, who just loves him.

The unfortunate thing is every time he comes home from her, he appears to have gained a few pounds:rolleyes:

(hey that's just like us coming off the cruise)!:eek:

Animaldoc....Good idea about the tip for the kennel manager. They do a pretty good job anyway and that would make it even better. It is great having you and kennelmom on here to tell us all how to make leaving our pets at behind a bit easier.

No offense, but when the day is done your dog is still just a dog and it will always be just a dog. You should be the center of each other's lives.

I dont see how I can avoid being the center of my dogs life

She wakes me up every morning by licking my hand to tell me she wants to go out, I get up and let her out, I feed her, I walk her (well I hold the lead while she decides if she wants to go the the park or just for a quick walk - I just let her lead the way) , I brush her, I bath her (not every day of course), I clean her teeth.

When Im working (I work from home) she sits in my office, when im watching TV she sits with me, I buy her toys and play with her, when I go into the kitchen for a drink so does she.

If I sit in the garden she sits in the garden (usually in the steam chair next to me:rolleyes: ), when I go to bed, she goes to bed.

She has a small treat at 11am, 3pm and 10pm. If I am distracted and miss any of those times she reminds me - I could probably set my watch by her.

Now unless I am going to be a irresponsible owner and let her out to roam the streets by herself, or lock her away in another room by herself then her life does revolve around me and what im doing.

As for feeling guilty - I have more day to day interaction with my dog than any human. I have unconditional love from my dog. She is obedient, never argues or chats back and does something that makes me laugh outloud at least 3 times a day. She brings life and joy to a day that would otherwise be boring and dull.

In fact if I had the choice I would take my dog on holiday and leave DH at home :D

We leave our dog at a really nice Kennel. We started with leaving her over a few weekends so she could get use to it and we could gauge the service. She doesn't seem to mind it at all and there are lots of add on services: walks, play time, snack and snuggle sessions ( yes t's true). At the end of the week we get her "report card" which is filled out by all the high school kids who work there and walk and play with the dogs.

Sure the dog would probably rather stay home but taking her to the kennel works out well and it doesn't require asking a friend or family member to care for her.

Ask your vet or friends for the name of a good kennel. The visit and check them out, maybe try it for a weekend and see how it goes.

Folks that wildly 'stab in the dark' really excite me! For just that reason, I'm trying to look up this young fellow traveler Jennifer Hegel-Smith. Between cruising and wild stabs in the dark, I think I'm in LOVE! I could teach that little minx a thing or two!

As to your question about formal night... jeans!, certainly not! I usually wear a tailored snakeskin tux with a stunning matched cummerbund and shoes that are extremely comfortable. I won't tell you what they're made of, but I'll give you a hint... Good shoes should always have a nik-name, so I call them "Rover"...

ROFL!:D

Make sure you research your prospective kennels thoroughly and EARLY. We never had a problem boarding our pets until we adopted an American Pitbull Terrier from the local pound. Our cruise was already booked before we tried to make reservations for the kennel. Not only would the kennel we used for years not take him, but about a dozen others we tried wouldn't either. Our vet recommended a kennel run by a guy who breeds German Shepards and trains them as guard dogs. He was glad to take Max and said Pitbulls are the easiest dog to board because you know exactly what they are thinking (unlike German Shepards). He has his kennels set up with a 4 foot cement walls between them so dogs can't fight through the fence. They are let out twice a day into a large area where the police dogs are trained, one dog at a time, no playing with other dogs allowed.

This is not the first time a thread like this has come up. We have three cats, one of them diabetic, so we have to have consistent care since our diabetic boy needs his insulin shots every 12 hours. We have a pet sitter who is wonderful, and the kitties all adore her. She leave us detailed info of went happens during her twice a day visits. Of course they are very spoiled when we return.

We have a great service here, called "PETS ARE INN" It's a service where your pet is "matched up" with a family/person who loves pets and they stay in a real home. We have been using them for over 5 years and we know she goes to one of two homes each time as they send a "report card" and photos. One guy is a runner and he takes our dog jogging EVERY DAY we're gone. We don't know their names or addresses, but know when she's been with this particular family as she's exhausted when we get back! We send her food, bowls, toys and any special instructions. They pick her up and drop her off. She loves it! When she sees our suitcases, she plants herself in our picture window, waiting for that white van to come for her and goes nuts when they pull in the driveway. For emergencies, they have the number of our vet and emergency contacts. It's great!

Pat in Minnesota

I am not trying hard to believe my dog is a person. Of course, I know she is a dog, I am not delusional. However the "definition" doesn't change how I feel about her. ;)

...she isn't a person no matter how hard you want to believe it.My dog is everything anyone would want in a dog, but a dog, is a dog, is a dog. In fact, this is the defination of dog as per dictionary.com:D A domesticated carnivorous mammal (Canis familiaris) related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds.

Who started this thread anyway? It's going to the dogs.

I love the "Pets are Inn" idea. Never heard of such a thing but I would love to have something like that as an alternative to the kennel. I am sure no matter what we do, the mutt will just be real happy the day we come back to pick him up and bring him back to his little world with us.

My problem is just a little different. Not only do I have a dog but my 86 yo Mother In Law lives with us. So we take her and the dog to my Brother In Law in OK City while we are gone. NO PROBLEM RIGHT? They always want to give Mom back but want to keep my dog. Sister In Law cries.

I don't have a pet at the moment but have in the past. I really think the best option is to leave the pet in its own house, with familiar sights and smells. If you live in a college town, you might check to see if a poor and hardworking college student will live in while you are gone. This also gives you more security for your house and gives the student a quiet place to study for a week or two. The next alternative is to seek out a middle school/high school student in your neighborhood who would come in every day to feed and play with your pet. In both cases, I would ask for references from a guidance counselor, etc. and specify NO PARTIES or guests, or you will see to it that they never work again! I think a middle school student is a somewhat safer bet, as the temptation to party will be somewhat less. Someone whose parents you know is your safest bet. I also think that leaving your pet an article of clothing with your scent on it near their sleeping place is comforting

If you need to go the kennel route, the previous advice is well-taken.

Archived