Feel Guilty about leaving the Family Pet home?

cruzzers

No offense, but when the day is done your dog is still just a dog and it will always be just a dog. You should be the center of each other's lives.

My dog just read that and says pfffft to you.:p

Seriously, I don't have human kids, I have 8 kids with four legs and fur. We hire a housesitter (she used to work for our vet and is fabulous witgh people and animals) to stay with them, and they love her. It's money well spent in my book. I have told her that she's not allowed to graduate from college, get married or move away.

I've found the best way to avoid kennel and boarding problems is to have the pets 'put down' just before each cruise. At first my children were upset by it, but they're used to it now and since we cruise at least once a year they now enjoy the 'rotation'. We don't even use a vet anymore, the children take care of the pets start to finish!

My children are also EXTREMELY well behaved on board now, and well liked by seniors. The kids know to follow all the rules and guidelines to the letter or next cruise they "stay" - or go - with the pets! ;)

Good child rearing and pet care is important to me! :)

No offense, but when the day is done your dog is still just a dog and it will always be just a dog. You should be the center of each other's lives.

I have a great dog, but she is a PET, not a person.

Sorry, just my two cents.

To each his/her own.

Ahhh, the dilema.

DW and I have a 16 year old Yorkie. He's been a great dog and we've been fortunate enough to have a DD take care of him when we're gone....that is until last fall when we we're leaving for 16 days. For the most part, kennels (at least in our area) won't take a dog that age. Luckily for us, DW's brother and his wife are vets and own their own clinic and boarding "house" about 1.5 hours away. Since my DW is the oldest, and her DB is the youngest, all she had to do is remind him how she watched out for him when he was younger. ;)

Boy that dog lived like a king for those 2.5 weeks. A little squirt in the biggest cage with all his toys and the ladies at the clinic doddling over him. Come to think of it, maybe I should have stayed at the kennel. :D

Houstoncruiser....You are right about the dog being a dog. We love ours and he is a big part of our family but you have to put things into perspective. When he is gone, there won't be another. We will go volunteer at one of the local animal shelters close by and be a member of the ASPCA. We love animals but they are as much of a worry as a kid sometimes. If the truth be known, our mutt would probably say he enjoys the kennel to break up the everyday boredom of eating and sleeping all day.

Have enjoyed the humor and animal compasion everyone has expressed here.

PS. I just made reservations for a 17 day visit (during our cruise) for our pooch at the kennel and they suggested I be sure to come in and talk with the kennel manager to make sure our mutt gets some extra attention for that lenght of time. Toys and bedding welcome. Extra outside time not a problem.

is terrific! Amazon and other book sellers have books with terrific recipes. I've already got a couple ear marked for the current 'rotation'. Most of the recipes can be adapted to feline too, as can most South Asian specialty meat recipes.

Once you develop a taste for these specialties you can recognize them anywhere, and in more places than you'd ever have expected previously. For this alone, I'm REALLY looking forward to the Horizon Court on our next cruise. Mmmmm....

My little Chico will probably go to his "Granny's" house for our cruise....but Dh says he would prefer a kennel as the little man always comes home terribly spoiled from my moms and it takes weeks to get him back to his regular obedient behavior. I left him at the kennel once for a few days and he was miserable.....I have 6 weeks to figure this one out.

I'm puzzled why do so many people feel that it is so sad to put a dog in a kennel? Yes some dogs don't like it, but I would say that over 95% of the dogs that visit my kennel have a good to great time. They are interacting with other dogs which many can't do at home. They have play time with humans which show them care and love. Is it just the idea that they are in a "cage" "jail" what? We call our runs rooms to try to take that idea of "jail away. Isn't it more peace of mind knowing that your special kid is in a safe place and has human contact while you are away? Or always wondering while you are gone did your dog dig under the fence because it was bored and now is in danger of being lost forever due to a car?

For those of you that think that dogs are sad and depressed in a kennel, go and visit kennels and really look at the DOGS and see if they are drooling from stress or just laying around and sad. I will bet for the most part you will see excited dogs. If you drive up to a kennel and you hear it very loud (not exercise time or feeding) for more than five minutes then yes it might be a stressful kennel. I would go crazy if my kennel was loud all day. Most of the dogs nap in the day as they do at home. Exercise time is a whole other story. Sorry I didn't mean to go on and on

Kenelmom....It is likely more sad for the owners than the dogs. As you say, most seem to enjoy the experience. Our dog never seems to mind, we just feel guilty about leaving him for 17 days in a row. Once we are onboard the ship, I doubt we will give it much thought and we will have something to look forward to when we return.

It's not hard to figure out why people feel the way they do about leaving their dog in a kennel. Geeze, no one and I mean no one can care for that 16 year old Yorkie like I can (and boy did he have it made with BIL and wife). That kind of thinking is human nature. How many feel the same way about leaving anyone behind.

As the old saying goes....there's no place like home....there's no place like home..... :)

I do agree kenneling is hard on the older dog, I deal with many senior dogs and I do have to say "no" to clients if their dogs as a senior has problems that no kennel should handle. I have a 16 year old Min Pin in the kennel right now that is having a ball but he is in wonderful shape for his age and only has minor medical issues. Owners and kennel operators need to know the issues of any dog and talk it over to make sure the right choice is made for the pet. I try to point out to any client that there are other choices to kenneling.

The main point I wanted to make is that not all dogs are sad in a kennel. I'm not a jailer I'm a care giver.

So sorry your dog doesn't give you what most of our dogs do. Our dog is more of a person than many people I know and she gives us that unconditional thing that humans aren't capable of providing. ;)

No offense, but when the day is done your dog is still just a dog and it will always be just a dog. You should be the center of each other's lives.I have a great dog, but she is a PET, not a person.Sorry, just my two cents.

So sorry your dog doesn't give you what most of our dogs do. Our dog is more of a person than many people I know and she gives us that unconditional thing that humans aren't capable of providing. ;)

...she isn't a person no matter how hard you want to believe it.

My dog is everything anyone would want in a dog, but a dog, is a dog, is a dog. In fact, this is the defination of dog as per dictionary.com:D

1. A domesticated carnivorous mammal (Canis familiaris) related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds.

Who started this thread anyway? It's going to the dogs.

We have a bird and a cat. The bird stays with my niece and she spoils him rotten and the cat is a outside cat and lives in our patio so my neighbor comes over and makes sure she has food and water. Long long time ago I used to feel guilty but no more as I know that those two animals are getting the best of care.

marilyn

I understand how many people feel about their pets. As a veterinarian we offer boarding at my practice and most do very well. I will recommend if you have a high anxiety dog it is best you get a pet-sitter. Cats almost always do best at home- a few days not eating in cats under stress can cause serious liver damage.

To find a good pet-sitter ask your vet or staff at the vet, many have techs or kennel staff who do pet sitting on the side. Also if you live in a city with a vet school, contact the school and many vet students love to pet-sit. Who could be better than a poor vet student to care for you pets.

From a medical standpoint if your pet has any medical conditions (diabetes, hyperthyroid, or immune-mediated disease) always have them board at a vets- there are several small signs which may indicate a flare-up that would not be recoginized by an ordinary kennel. Also, always bring there normal dog food to the kennel, a change in diet with added stress can cause terrible diarrhea.

With all this said and my pets staying at my hospital when I am gone- I still feel guilty and make sure they get lots of treats when I get back.

I've found the best way to avoid kennel and boarding problems is to have the pets 'put down' just before each cruise. At first my children were upset by it, but they're used to it now and since we cruise at least once a year they now enjoy the 'rotation'. We don't even use a vet anymore, the children take care of the pets start to finish!

My children are also EXTREMELY well behaved on board now, and well liked by seniors. The kids know to follow all the rules and guidelines to the letter or next cruise they "stay" - or go - with the pets! ;)

Good child rearing and pet care is important to me! :)

This is probably just a wild stab in the dark, woodofpine, but do you wear jeans to formal nights...?:eek:

AnimalDoc...Thanks for the advise. Do you think 17 days it too long to board a dog? We have a nice vet/kennel close by us here at the Lake of the Ozarks with big kennels and a nice staff. I just hate the idea of leaving him for so long, even though I think he will get plenty of attention and alot of time in the outside run. Since you are close to us, you may be familiar with the facility located on 54 highway, just a couple of miles north of Camdenton.

Cruzzers- I think I am aware of the place, but don't know it personally. If you dog is fairly adaptable and has time outside and human contact it should be fine. Bring his own food, bed, toys from home and make a specific effort to talk to the kennel staff or manager. Ask who is taking care of the dog primarily and a $20 tip may go a long way at some extra attention. Good Luck and have fun on vacation.

I will preface this by saying that I have not read the rest of this thread (sorry - I'm just very behind in life in general!!)

I have NO SYMPATHY for my pets!! Our lovey dog (110 lbs. of pure dog joy) stays with our friends and is spoiled completely and utterly rotten!!! We're beginning to think he likes our friends better than us!! They also spend boatloads (no pun intended) of time with our kitty.

In my next life, I should be so lucky as to come back as my pets:D !!!

We have a rule about dogs...

When we are unable to travel anymore, we'll get one.

That's our rule too. :D When our kids grew up and left, they took their pets with them. Those left behind (like by bird dog) died off and we just chose not to replace them. When we end up in our rocking chairs and wheel chairs, then we'll get a lap dog and probably some cats too. :D

...she isn't a person no matter how hard you want to believe it.

My dog is everything anyone would want in a dog, but a dog, is a dog, is a dog. In fact, this is the defination of dog as per dictionary.com:D

1. A domesticated carnivorous mammal (Canis familiaris) related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds.

.....and sometimes drinks from a toilet.................:)

Archived