ItalyXP.com! Full day Tour by high speed train from Rome to Florence, anyone take th

wendyp247

First of all, I assume you are thinking of doing this from Rome on a pre- or post-cruise visit right? I don't think it would be possible to do it when you're in Rome on a port day from Civitavecchia. (I'm asking for clarity's sake since you mention it as an "excursion").

Honestly, you can just as easily to this on your own. The high speed trains run frequently and you can reserve in advance at trenitalia.com. This tour only seems to include an inside visit to the Accademia, which again, can be pre-reserved. And Florence's historical center is small enough and easy enough to navigate on foot with a good map.

Yes pre cruise.We'll be in Rome 3 1/2 days prior to sailing. We are newbies to European travel and feel more comfortable with a tour. I was just wondering if anyone has personally experience one of their tours. At this late date all the other tours to Florence that we want via high speed train are already sold out. There are some that use buses, but the bus is 3-4 hours each way. Too long of a time on a bus for a day trip to be worthwhile.

They do provide a ride to the train in the morning, tour in Florence and lunch. It also included skip the line admission to the museum. For us the extra money is worth it. I checked on a cab and early morning the cab ride from hotel(2.5 miles) is 54 euros. We don't want to stress out trying to get to station, buy tickets,etc.

I appreciate your input.

Yes pre cruise.We'll be in Rome 3 1/2 days prior to sailing. We are newbies to European travel and feel more comfortable with a tour. I was just wondering if anyone has personally experience one of their tours. At this late date all the other tours to Florence that we want via high speed train are already sold out. There are some that use buses, but the bus is 3-4 hours each way. Too long of a time on a bus for a day trip to be worthwhile.

They do provide a ride to the train in the morning, tour in Florence and lunch. It also included skip the line admission to the museum. For us the extra money is worth it. I checked on a cab and early morning the cab ride from hotel(2.5 miles) is 54 euros. We don't want to stress out trying to get to station, buy tickets,etc.

I appreciate your input.

I understand, but just in case will also say that my sister and BIL a few years ago, with no experience, navigated the train to Florence from Livorno port, did sightseeing in Florence and took the train back to the ship -- no problems. Also, any prepurchased tickets to the Accademia are "skip the line" tickets....

One thing you said does concern me. It can't be right that a taxi from your hotel to the train station would be 54 euros -- that is outrageous for a distance of 2.5 miles! Taxis only charge 48 euros from Rome to the airport.... Can you point out where this info comes from?

I understand, but just in case will also say that my sister and BIL a few years ago, with no experience, navigated the train to Florence from Livorno port, did sightseeing in Florence and took the train back to the ship -- no problems. Also, any prepurchased tickets to the Accademia are "skip the line" tickets....

One thing you said does concern me. It can't be right that a taxi from your hotel to the train station would be 54 euros -- that is outrageous for a distance of 2.5 miles! Taxis only charge 48 euros from Rome to the airport.... Can you point out where this info comes from?

Yes. Thought 54€ was outrageous too that came from cab company . See their response below

Buongiorno,

from Hotel poli to piazza della repubblica it take only 5 minutes by car.

Our rate at 6am in the morning is € 54,00.

Regards

logo.jpg

Marianna

Yes. Thought 54€ was outrageous too that came from cab company . See their response below

Buongiorno,

from Hotel poli to piazza della repubblica it take only 5 minutes by car.

Our rate at 6am in the morning is € 54,00.

Regards

logo.jpg

Marianna

This is not a regular taxi service, it is a private shuttle/car service that probably has a minimum charge.

You should be able to arrange, through your hotel, a regular taxi pickup to take you to the train station. Yes, there will be a SLIGHT upcharge for an early morning trip, but for a 5-minute ride you shouldn't be paying anything like the price quoted -- maybe a fifth of that!