Historical tour with not much walking?

jebridan

We want to do some sort of historical tour when we are in SJ but I have arthritis in my knees and can’t walk long distances or climb a lot of steps. He can though. We will be on a Carnival ship. I’ve looked at their excursions and the ones through shoreexcursioneer.com. I know the forts and such will require lots of walking and stairs so I can always stay behind. Does anyone know of a specific tour that will meet our needs? Thank you so much.

We want to do some sort of historical tour when we are in SJ but I have arthritis in my knees and can’t walk long distances or climb a lot of steps. He can though. We will be on a Carnival ship. I’ve looked at their excursions and the ones through shoreexcursioneer.com. I know the forts and such will require lots of walking and stairs so I can always stay behind. Does anyone know of a specific tour that will meet our needs? Thank you so much.

Your most likely bet is to hire one of the many tour bus drivers that will be waiting at the pier for passengers to debark. They will most likely do a loop around the city and give you some historical info but I don't think they drop you off at the forts and wait for you to return. You could also get a regular taxi to the forts since there's always a few waiting to bring passengers back, at least in front of El Morro. That fort would be ok for you to visit since the entry path from the street is a bit long but mostly flat with no stairs and it leads you to the main level of the fort which you can explore leisurely while your husband goes to other parts of the fort.

San Juan’s fort is a rather lengthy walk from the street. The weather is oftentimes hot and muggy. If I remember correctly a shuttle is available to hop on and off on the short route around a part of the city. But it doesn’t take you up the roadway to the fort, but drops you off at the curb.

Of course since the hurricane I don’t know what is available.

So I’m checking out CC to ge info.

Ann