Evening dress

how many men were evening dress on Marcella dream

Although not quite what it used to be there is still a 'Captains Night' on Dream instead of the less formal 'Dress To Impress' nights on the Discoveries. Although many people prefer to dress 'smart casual' there is still a good number that enjoy the cruising tradition of 'dressing up' and, on Dream in December, my husband will be wearing his DJ (as he did on Discovery in May and will be on Spirit in October).

On Dream in June about 60% of men attending the MDR Gala night wore DJs or kilts the rest wore either suits or jackets and trousers but all wore ties However I would say that the number attending was less than previous years approx 55% of passengers - the rest eating in the buffet most of whom dressed very smartly with 5% making very little effort as they did the rest of the time - complete slobs!!!

I can't say that I understand the need that some people have to dress up on a cruise ship. you wouldn't put on a kilt or a tux/ballgown and queue to have your photograph taken with the captain of the aircraft that got you to your embarkation port or the bus driver that takes you into town. I always dress to suit myself.

P.S I had work colleagues that were suited and booted most days of the week so when they went on holidays their suits never got near to the suitcase. You are on holiday relax, enjoy yourself.

I don't possess a tux, and wouldn't dream of taking a suit on holiday, but I always wear smart shirt, tie/dickie, waistcoat and trousers for the captains evening. Being a sceptic, I see it as more of an income generator (photos) for Marella rather than something special for the passengers, and the meal is usually compromised by large numbers arriving in the MDR all at once.

Its just part of cruising, if you don't want to dress in a Tux just don't cruise, if you were on P&O you would not have the choice of dress in the MDR

Hence why I wouldn't go P&O I've done my share of Tuxes and had my fill. I see a Caribbean cruise as laid back, chill out destination and will dress accordingly. The only concession I make will be a jacket and pants/ jeans for evening meals.

Its just part of cruising, if you don't want to dress in a Tux just don't cruise, if you were on P&O you would not have the choice of dress in the MDR

It's only part of cruising with the budget cruise lines - mid and premium lines are mostly country casual these days.

Absolute rubbish!!!

I wouldn’t wear a tux for a pension. If they want to have a penguin night then I’m quite happy to book into a speciality restaurant.

That is rather a sweeping statement, I enjoy the cruise ship vacation experience but because I don't want to participate in the fancy dress competition you say don't cruise ? the fact that those of us that don't wish to play at "Look at me" are banished to the buffet is laughable in itself but to say dont cruise is unbelievable.

We all pay to use all of the facilities as and when required and I can imagine your reaction if they told you the MDR is off limits.

P.S Quite surprised that a lot of people avoid the dress up night, I think it is an older generation thing that keeps it going.

Or cruise on a cruise line that does not demand a tux, like P&O where suits are acceptable on formal nights and a more flexible option than a tux.

edit - idiot me, I thought I was on the P&O forum. Of course Marella does not demand a tux or a suit, just dress nicely, like on the really expensive cruise lines.

Surely we can all dress as we please without getting snide comments??? We like to dress up - it is our choice; others of you prefer not to - also your choice. Meeting people with different tastes and experiences is what we love about cruising. So please - lets all just enjoy our holidays in our own way.

Surely we can all dress as we please without getting snide comments??? We like to dress up - it is our choice; others of you prefer not to - also your choice. Meeting people with different tastes and experiences is what we love about cruising. So please - lets all just enjoy our holidays in our own way.
Well said but its the old can of worms opened up again[emoji15]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Absolutely, well said.

Just printed off boarding passes, tux pressed think it would be very upset if I went without it and its something I really look forward to wearing. Fortunately we are all different which is one of the things we love about cruising. Just hope the original poster has not been put off. Go with what you are comfortable with.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Some of us also 'slob' all the time and do enjoy the opportunity to 'dress up' once in a while. If you have the long dress or the tux why leave in moth balls however with Marella it would not be necessary to buy a tux just for the trip unless you want to as a suit or apparently smart trousers and shirt and tie would do.

Last cruise the only eyebrows raised were for a couple 'of a certain age' dressed to the 9's for breakfast!