!!! HAL Amsterdam !!! To Alaska ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Love, love, loving the blog. Especially the pic's on the promenade deck, we booked a Lanai cabin for our cruise and I've been a bit concerned about it, but after seeing the pic's I'm quite excited.

Great fluke picture! I compared it to the Juneau catalog (they track the whales in the area with it) and didn't see it. Which means it may be a new whale in the area and you can submit your picture to them. When they update the catalog if they include your picture they will include your name as the photographer. The pictures are in order of the amount of white on the fluke, which makes it easier to tell if its a new whale. You can see them at https://www.juneauflukes.org/juneau-catalog.html The picture I submitted a few years back is number 221. :D

Thanks for all the time you have spent typing and documenting your tour to Alaska. Your review is awesome. We are looking forward to another trip to Alaska, but just can't decide on an itinerary and ship. We are looking for a smaller ship than the Celebrity ones we've been on. The Amsterdam seems like a great size. I'm going to check out when it will be in Ak. and where. Thanks again

Thanks for another fabulous review, Gambee! I did this trip in 2016 on the HAL Westerdam [slightly larger ship than the Amsterdam but still less than 2,000 people]. I agree that HAL is the perfect size for Alaska. They are a wonderful line all around; even though we are not loyal to one single line, HAL remains my favorite. I can't wait to hear what you thought of Sitka; that was my favorite port of the trip.

I wanted to do that excursion 3 years ago but the weather was bad and the trip was cancelled. I was crushed. We took a whale watching trip from a vendor on the pier which was ok. Looking forward to trying again, hopefully next summer. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us.

Aloha! We're glued to your posts. Really terrific! My husband and I will be on the MS Amsterdam for the Alaska Seattle round trip in a couple days. It will be our first cruise. We've found your pics and perspectives not just entertaining, but also so helpful to get us prepared. Thank you. (My husband, the photog, especially appreciated that you shared what photography equipment you're using on the cruise. I think he even edited what he'll be taking along after seeing your posts.) Safe travels!

Love, love, loving the blog. Especially the pic's on the promenade deck, we booked a Lanai cabin for our cruise and I've been a bit concerned about it, but after seeing the pic's I'm quite excited.

Great fluke picture! I compared it to the Juneau catalog (they track the whales in the area with it) and didn't see it. Which means it may be a new whale in the area and you can submit your picture to them. When they update the catalog if they include your picture they will include your name as the photographer. The pictures are in order of the amount of white on the fluke, which makes it easier to tell if its a new whale. You can see them at https://www.juneauflukes.org/juneau-catalog.html The picture I submitted a few years back is number 221. :D

You're going to love that Lanai room, I would say they are arguably among the best cabins about the ship! I think I remember our guide saying that those whales were common on the area, ill check on that again. Thank for the info.

Thanks for all the time you have spent typing and documenting your tour to Alaska. Your review is awesome. We are looking forward to another trip to Alaska, but just can't decide on an itinerary and ship. We are looking for a smaller ship than the Celebrity ones we've been on. The Amsterdam seems like a great size. I'm going to check out when it will be in Ak. and where. Thanks again

X also takes their smaller millennium class ships to Alaska, but they are around 90k tons, much larger to the 60k from the Amsterdam. Maybe as the review continues, it will give you a better idea if this is the cruise and itinerary for you. Thanks for following along.

Thanks for another fabulous review, Gambee! I did this trip in 2016 on the HAL Westerdam [slightly larger ship than the Amsterdam but still less than 2,000 people]. I agree that HAL is the perfect size for Alaska. They are a wonderful line all around; even though we are not loyal to one single line, HAL remains my favorite. I can't wait to hear what you thought of Sitka; that was my favorite port of the trip.

I had no idea that the Westerdam stopped in Sitka, interesting. Yeah, the Westerdam is definitely a larger ship, but still small when compared to newer ships. Like you I am not loyal, I really don't see the point of being loyal a cruise, well aside from your status going up and getting more perks. But I enjoy trying all the lines, and seeing what they have to offer. The next one should be Princess, but they don't have smaller ships, and I want to do Alaska again.

What an amazing day! And I love the last pic of your Mom all wrapped up and covered up in the lounge chair. She's a trooper!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She looked like a burrito, that sight of her was quite common. Actually at one point a few asked If she was seasick, and if that is why she had to be aside all wrapped up. :');p:p

I wanted to do that excursion 3 years ago but the weather was bad and the trip was cancelled. I was crushed. We took a whale watching trip from a vendor on the pier which was ok. Looking forward to trying again, hopefully next summer. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us.

The weather must of been awful for them to cancel. What a shame it was a magnificent excursion for us. Hopefully all goes well on your next cruise.

Aloha! We're glued to your posts. Really terrific! My husband and I will be on the MS Amsterdam for the Alaska Seattle round trip in a couple days. It will be our first cruise. We've found your pics and perspectives not just entertaining, but also so helpful to get us prepared. Thank you. (My husband, the photog, especially appreciated that you shared what photography equipment you're using on the cruise. I think he even edited what he'll be taking along after seeing your posts.) Safe travels!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! It will spoil you, we absolutely love Alaska! Glad your husband took benefit from the info that I shared so far, that is why I include so much information on all my reviews. Just trying to help fellow cruisers :)

I had no idea that the Westerdam stopped in Sitka, interesting. Yeah, the Westerdam is definitely a larger ship, but still small when compared to newer ships. Like you I am not loyal, I really don't see the point of being loyal a cruise, well aside from your status going up and getting more perks. But I enjoy trying all the lines, and seeing what they have to offer. The next one should be Princess, but they don't have smaller ships, and I want to do Alaska again.

The Westerdam did the exact ports of your cruise back in 2016 when we went but I'm not sure if she still sails the same itinerary. We went to Glacier Bay though, not Hubbard. I just caught up on your review and the pictures are amazing [as usual for you!]. Wasn't it so cool to be on the bow? Alaska was my first experience with that as well; did you try the Dutch pea soup that they bring out for the passengers during the glacier viewing? It's quite delicious.

Princess is wonderful as well [i've only sailed the Regal so far but she is a gorgeous ship...huge but beautifully decorated]. My next cruise is on the Ruby Princess in January though so I'll be sure to post a review

That was a great tour you did in Juneau -- we have done several whale watching excursions in that area.

Just got caught up with the latest chapters.

Love your review with pictures.

Yeah, that excursion was just incredible! thank you for following along and commenting :)

The Westerdam did the exact ports of your cruise back in 2016 when we went but I'm not sure if she still sails the same itinerary. We went to Glacier Bay though, not Hubbard. I just caught up on your review and the pictures are amazing [as usual for you!]. Wasn't it so cool to be on the bow? Alaska was my first experience with that as well; did you try the Dutch pea soup that they bring out for the passengers during the glacier viewing? It's quite delicious.

Princess is wonderful as well [i've only sailed the Regal so far but she is a gorgeous ship...huge but beautifully decorated]. My next cruise is on the Ruby Princess in January though so I'll be sure to post a review

The bow was unforgettable, no question about that. Funny you mention the pea soup, I have something about it on the next chapter, lol. As far as princess goes, we will see, I would love to do Alaska again so we might need to look for one of their smaller ships. But yeah, Princess is in our sight.

Another couple of great reports with wonderful pictures.

We love Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay as we think the ice is bluer there.

We were on either the Ryndam or Statendam when the captain and a ranger came over the PA system and warned everyone that a calving was taking place and the wave that it would be creating would really rock the boat. I quickly sat down and sure enough the ship rolled from side to side. It was a huge calving. The ranger commented that he had never seen one that large.

Before long all the washers and dryers will be gone from the R and S class ships.

We'll be back in Alaska briefly on the Westerdam re-positioning cruise, boarding two weeks tomorrow, naturally our excitement is building and your review has heightened that excitement. If you get the opportunity there are two other HAL itineraries that offer similar scenic beauty as Alaska. A New Zealand itinerary that includes the south island, typically Noordam, and the one that we thought actually exceeded Alaska, an itinerary that goes around the Horn of South America, typically Zaandam. Patagonia and the South American Fjords of Chile and Argentina are spectacular.

I've attached one typical photograph from each location to tempt you.

1317254940_NewZealand2.thumb.jpg.4c6a9d91297a17aa73a10f4e6971f0d4.jpg

295633810_SouthAmerica2.thumb.jpg.c8d9bf463a516adb0854f234d412f3de.jpg

Another couple of great reports with wonderful pictures.

We love Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay as we think the ice is bluer there.

We were on either the Ryndam or Statendam when the captain and a ranger came over the PA system and warned everyone that a calving was taking place and the wave that it would be creating would really rock the boat. I quickly sat down and sure enough the ship rolled from side to side. It was a huge calving. The ranger commented that he had never seen one that large.

Before long all the washers and dryers will be gone from the R and S class ships.

Our Calving was definitely not that large, that would be awesome to see.

We'll be back in Alaska briefly on the Westerdam re-positioning cruise, boarding two weeks tomorrow, naturally our excitement is building and your review has heightened that excitement. If you get the opportunity there are two other HAL itineraries that offer similar scenic beauty as Alaska. A New Zealand itinerary that includes the south island, typically Noordam, and the one that we thought actually exceeded Alaska, an itinerary that goes around the Horn of South America, typically Zaandam. Patagonia and the South American Fjords of Chile and Argentina are spectacular.

I've attached one typical photograph from each location to tempt you.

I am 100% tempted, lol. Those are amazing photos, I will add it to my list of must do cruises. Thank you for sharing them =)