Hurricanes, where do they re route you for a bermuda cruise?

LSauls7537

Wow, I understand that there is a risk with Hurricane season cruises, but I will never ever schedule a Bermuda cruise during that time. If I had to switch from Eastern to Western Carribean and vice-versa, no harm, no foul. Bermuda to Canada? That ruins everything.

Also, do all cruise ships sail along the coast line then head out to Bermuda? Or if leaving from New York, would they head east into the Atlantic and turn south to Bermuda?

They sail south east route.. This is from my norwegian escape cruise in may:

DSC00637.jpg

And keep in mind that the ships usually can vary their route if needed to avoid the worst of a storm - for example, in that NY-Bermuda sailing, the ship could have done a more easterly route at first then swung south if there was a chance of annoying swells or squalls if they took the direct route. The only time that might not be possible is if the direct route represents top speed (usually not) and they have no wiggle room in arrival/departure times in Bermuda (also usually not).

The only time that might not be possible is if the direct route represents top speed (usually not) and they have no wiggle room in arrival/departure times in Bermuda (also usually not).

on the typical Norwegian sailing, there is 2 sea days to Bermuda with the ship sailing at half speed, around 12 knots. There is wiggle room with the arrival side, On the ride back to NY from Bermuda, there is only 1 sea day with the ship traveling at full speed of 23 knots. no wiggle room there.