Silver Wind makeover

rosepark

Sunprince, see my post below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Stumblefoot I saw your post, but to me the Cloud looks different than the Muse decor and if the Wind eventually becomes an Expedition ship I was wondering if it would look more like the Cloud vs the Muse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes Stumblefoot I saw your post, but to me the Cloud looks different than the Muse decor and if the Wind eventually becomes an Expedition ship I was wondering if it would look more like the Cloud vs the Muse.
But your original post specifically referenced the gap in the Wind schedule from Nov 25 (Ft Lauderdale) to Dec 21 (Barbados) of 2018 and wanted an idea of the extent of the makeover. So, I referenced what the company is doing this year, not what they “may” do in 2020 since nothing has been announced for 2-years from now. What we know for sure is that the Wind will be Musified.

But your original post specifically referenced the gap in the Wind schedule from Nov 25 (Ft Lauderdale) to Dec 21 (Barbados) of 2018 and wanted an idea of the extent of the makeover. So, I referenced what the company is doing this year, not what they “may” do in 2020 since nothing has been announced for 2-years from now. What we know for sure is that the Wind will be Musified.

Stumblefoot, my question is quite simple....will the Wind look more like the Cloud in decor or the Muse? The two are quite different. If the answer is “don’t know” then that is fine. Not looking to get into a major debate of the subject!

Stumblefoot, my question is quite simple....will the Wind look more like the Cloud in decor or the Muse? The two are quite different. If the answer is “don’t know” then that is fine. Not looking to get into a major debate of the subject!
No debate here. I just don’t understand why you keep asking the same question over and over when I’ve told you each time it will be like the Muse. Don’t know how to be any clearer, so I’ll stop trying to answer your question from here on out. Best wishes to you.

I just booked a Caribbean cruise on the Silver Wind for March 10,2019. Although I have cruised several times before, not on Silversea (mainly Oceania.) I have been reading some negative reviews about the age and condition of Silver Wind and now am seeing some concerns about a complete makeover for an expedition style of cruising. I can still cancel this reservation and hope I have not made a mistake. Is there another refurbishment due later this year? Please advise if this ship is the luxury cruise I am anticipating. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

The decor of the cloud is similar to the Muse. Or are you referring to the blue exterior and ice breaker class strengthened hull?

The interior decor on the Wind will be made similar to the Cloud / Muse / Spirit. No official announcement has been made yet for the transformation of the Wind into an explorer class vessel, but given the new itineries just published and previous chatter, it would be a brave man to bet against this transformation to be starting in August 2020. I would expect that to include the only visual change and blue hull. But in truth, much is just speculation.

Watergirl1123... I’m on the Wind (again) a month after you and thoroughly looking forward to the decor upgrade. (The expedition talk will not effect your sailing as any plans are after that.) I expect you will enjoy the new refit and will be wondering what the fuss was about. But to be fair, she is not a new ship and doesn’t come with some of the glitz some of the newer larger ships have. That’s not a bad thing in my opinion and keeps that feeling of sailing on an exclusive larger private yacht. Well that’s what it’s like for us anyway. Enjoy your trip.

I do not see how there can be any doubt about the Wind's conversion to a Cloud clone expedition ship after the schedule sent by Silversea last week. The Wind will be out of service for nearly six months after August 2020, and its next cruise in late February 2021 is a 21 day Ushuaia to Capetown cruise with virtually the same itinerary of a Cloud 21 day cruise in late February 2020, from Ushuaia to Capetown. Could they make it any clearer?

I do not see how there can be any doubt about the Wind's conversion to a Cloud clone expedition ship after the schedule sent by Silversea last week. The Wind will be out of service for nearly six months after August 2020, and its next cruise in late February 2021 is a 21 day Ushuaia to Capetown cruise with virtually the same itinerary of a Cloud 21 day cruise in late February 2020, from Ushuaia to Capetown. Could they make it any clearer?

Hi, Wellseasoned, see the quoted brochure text in post #18, which distinguishes post-refurb Wind from the expedition fleet. Seems to me they are saying quite clearly that Wind will be ice-reinforced, but not an expedition ship. Interesting, isn't it?

Hi, Wellseasoned, see the quoted brochure text in post #18, which distinguishes post-refurb Wind from the expedition fleet. Seems to me they are saying quite clearly that Wind will be ice-reinforced, but not an expedition ship. Interesting, isn't it?

Wait!!! Nevermind -- I just looked more closely at the itineraries, and the Iceland circumnavigation is pre-refurb. Sorry to throw a red herring into the discussion.

The decor of the cloud is similar to the Muse. Or are you referring to the blue exterior and ice breaker class strengthened hull?

The interior decor on the Wind will be made similar to the Cloud / Muse / Spirit. No official announcement has been made yet for the transformation of the Wind into an explorer class vessel, but given the new itineries just published and previous chatter, it would be a brave man to bet against this transformation to be starting in August 2020. I would expect that to include the only visual change and blue hull. But in truth, much is just speculation.

Watergirl1123... I’m on the Wind (again) a month after you and thoroughly looking forward to the decor upgrade. (The expedition talk will not effect your sailing as any plans are after that.) I expect you will enjoy the new refit and will be wondering what the fuss was about. But to be fair, she is not a new ship and doesn’t come with some of the glitz some of the newer larger ships have. That’s not a bad thing in my opinion and keeps that feeling of sailing on an exclusive larger private yacht. Well that’s what it’s like for us anyway. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Les37, thanks for your kind response. I’m not referring to the exterior, but the interior of the suites. The Cloud is different in some ways than the Muse decor, although both are lighter in colour scheme than previously. For example, the carpet in the suites on the Cloud is different than Muse as is the colour of the sofa (blue vs beige), drapes (green vs beige) etc. So when one refers to “musification” is it specific to the Muse/Spirit/Dawn or the different choices made for the Expedition Cloud?

So my question was...how will this all translate into the refurb of the Wind? Will the Wind follow the Cloud suite design or the Muse design? A previous response was clear that the Wind would follow the Muse design, but does “musification” truly mean the Wind will look exactly like the Muse of perhaps the Cloud?

I have just received the itineraries for 2020, from which I see that the last Wind voyage that year is in August. There is then a huge gap until 15 February 2021 when she departs Ushuaia.

Looks like she will be turned into an expedition ship during that period.

Rosepark

Can you please tell me where you see that the Wind departs Ushuaia on 15th. Feb. 2021

It is not shown on the itineraries that I have received or on the website

No debate here. I just don’t understand why you keep asking the same question over and over when I’ve told you each time it will be like the Muse. Don’t know how to be any clearer, so I’ll stop trying to answer your question from here on out. Best wishes to you.

Sorry Stumblefoot but the Wind is being refurbed this year because they know Ann and I will be onboard the Wind next year.The announcement was made a couple of days after we booked.:cool:;)

I'm currently on board the Spirit and had a long chat yesterday with Lester, the HD, and I asked about the future of the Wind. He said that although no official decision has been announced, he believes it is inevitable that the Wind will be 'Cloudified' and become an expedition ship to replace the Discoverer. Apparently, quite a lot of Venetians who had not previously been interested in expedition cruising on the smaller ships, are giving the Cloud a go and are loving it and are coming back for more.

Classic cruisers have the Moon and the Dawn coming along with their economies of scale.

Follow the money ...

Thank you for the info Jolly Jones. I can understand the Cloud appealing to more as an expedition ship, more to do on her than on the Explorer if you want a cruise as well as an expedition experience. Follow the money,indeed

Beaujolais, the information re the Feb 2021 Wind cruise was in the itineraries which I received from a travel agent, a couple of days before the 2020 itineraries were released to passengers.

Rp

Concerning the phantom Wind cruise from Ushuaia in February 2021,this itinerary is not included in the 2020 hard copy brochure I received on Saturday, it is not on the SS website, and finally the London office knows nothing about it.

I have picked up a number of errors in the printed brochure and in the advanced email received on September 14. Most notably, that Norfolk (Virginia) is shown as Norfolk (East Anglia – UK)! So this Wind cruise appears to be yet another administrative error.

Though much loved, not least by me, as my favourite, I would speculate that the Wind will be pensioned off after August 2020. My reasoning for this is that it is not and cannot be made to be, a 6* luxury ship, and in the light of the RCI acquisition, money will be found to replace the Wind, rather than “tart” her up.

A friend who was on the Wind in August reported that many first timers to SS regarded the ship as substandard, and not what they were led to believe of SS. Expectations of *6cruising have moved on in the industry, with larger cabins and balconies as well as, baths and separate shower enclosures. The Wind cannot be modified at a sensible cost to deal with these deficiencies.

There was much debate on these boards when some of the Cloud’s cabins had the bath removed in favour of just a shower enclosure. This proves my point, passengers want both, not either or.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Though much loved, not least by me, as my favourite, I would speculate that the Wind will be pensioned off after August 2020. My reasoning for this is that it is not and cannot be made to be, a 6* luxury ship, and in the light of the RCI acquisition, money will be found to replace the Wind, rather than “tart” her up.

A friend who was on the Wind in August reported that many first timers to SS regarded the ship as substandard, and not what they were led to believe of SS. Expectations of *6cruising have moved on in the industry, with larger cabins and balconies as well as, baths and separate shower enclosures. The Wind cannot be modified at a sensible cost to deal with these deficiencies.

Hi ME...... Yes the hard copy and bulk email sent by SS (same as what everyone received no doubt) are the same and without this voyage - and neither did the original one I'd source which Stumblefoot mentioned had a few changes.

I too noticed a "typo"... On a Singapore to Shanghai cruise I think. It showed HCMC to Chan May having 2 sea days, but Chan May to Hong Kong only having one! (Unless the engines have been beefed up of course! lol)

Its inconceivable that the Wind isn't being Cloudified, not just for what you've said, but also because the explorer cruises are presumably more lucrative.

I rather suspect given the obvious, the only reason SS haven't made an announcement is because maybe RCL haven't rubber stamped it yet officially or there are some things in the changes they really haven't made the final decision on. (I did see someone suggest the hull would be strengthened but not to an icebreaker class .... maybe that's the indecision?)

What's for sure.... the 1st August 2020 Copenhagen to Tower Bridge will be the last in its current format... Something that wont be lost on "Wind fans" (that just doesn't sound right! lol) so I expect this'll be sold out quite quickly. I've got my place booked. :DHaving seen Silver Wind arrive and depart so many times to Tower Bridge, it would be crazy to miss out on this one .... Plus its my birthday while onboard... An omen if ever there was! ;-)

As there appears to be doubt in the minds of some about the veracity of my original post and the "phantom" cruise, I attach an extract of the itinerary which I received, though mine was a colour e-brochure and had headings which have disappeared . The " phantom" cruise is the last entry and the emboldening and highlighting are mine.

Should Master Echo, or anyone else, require a statement of truth, that can be arranged.

Rp

SILVER WIND 298 GUESTS

DATE DAYS PORTSRIBBEAN & CRAL AMERICA

07 Jan 20 9 FORT LAUDERDALE > Day at sea > Grand Turk > Day at sea > Gustavia > Roseau > Castries > Charlestown > Road Town > SAN

JUAN

16 Jan 20 11 SAN JUAN > La Romana > Day at sea > Willemstad, Curaçao > Kralendijk, Bonaire > Day at sea > Port of Spain > Bequia > Roseau >Castries > St George’s > BRIDGETOWN

27 Jan 20 12 BRIDGETOWN > Castries > Bequia > Day at sea > Willemstad, Curaçao > Oranjestad, Aruba > Cartagena > Day at sea >

Kralendijk, Bonaire > Day at sea > St George’s > BRIDGETOWN

08 Feb 20 11 BRIDGETOWN > Bequia > Castries > Les Saintes > Little Bay, Montserrat > Philipsburg, St. Maarten > Road Town > Day at sea >

La Romana > SAN JUAN

19 Feb 20 7 SAN JUAN > Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda > Falmouth, English Harbour > Roseau > Castries > Gustavia > St. Thomas > SAN JUAN

26 Feb 20 7 SAN JUAN > Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda > Charlestown > Roseau > Philipsburg, St. Maarten > Gustavia > St. Thomas > SAN

JUAN

04 Mar 20 7 SAN JUAN > Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda > Philipsburg, St. Maarten > Falmouth, English Harbour > Roseau > Basseterre >

Gustavia > SAN JUAN

11 Mar 20 7 SAN JUAN > St John Cruz Bay > Basseterre > Roseau > Castries > Gustavia > Road Town > SAN JUAN

18 Mar 20 9 SAN JUAN > St. Thomas > Philipsburg, St. Maarten > Les Saintes > Fort-de-France > Bequia > St George’s > Castries >

BRIDGETOWNCEAIC

27 Mar 20 10 BRIDGETOWN > 6 Days at sea > Ponta Delgada > 2 Days at sea > LISBONDITERRANEAN

06 Apr 20 10 LISBON > Portimao > Sevilla > Gibraltar > Motril > Day at sea > Valencia > Porto Mahon > BARCELONA

16 Apr 20 12 BARCELONA > Valencia > Day at sea > Casablanca > Day at sea > Arrecife, Canary Islands > La Estaca, El Hierro > San Sebastian, La

Gomera > Santa Cruz de La Palma > Funchal > Day at sea > LISBON

28 Apr 20 12 LISBON > Leixões (Porto) > Day at sea > Bilbao > St Jean de Luz > Bordeaux > Day at sea > Saint Malo > Honfleur > LONDON

(TOWER BRIDGE) THERN EUROPE

10 May 20 12 LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE) > Falmouth, England > Cobh > Foynes > Galway > Killybegs > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Dublin

> Fishguard, Wales > Day at sea > LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE)

22 May 20 12 LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE) > Day at sea > Fishguard, Wales > Dublin > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Oban, Scotland >

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland > Invergordon, Scotland > Leith (Edinburgh), Scotland > Day at sea > LONDON (TOWER

BRIDGE)

03 Jun 20 14 LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE) > 2 Days at Sea > Flåm > Gudvangen > Nordfjordeid > Trondheim > Åndalsnes > Molde > Ålesund >

Geiranger > Hellesylt > Bergen > Oslo > 2 Days at Sea > LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE)

17 Jun 20 12 LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE) > Day at sea > Falmouth, England > Cobh > Dublin > Belfast, Northern Ireland >Greenock (Glasgow),

Scotland > Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland > Klaksvik > Day at sea > Heimaey, Westman Islands > REYKJAVIK

29 Jun 20 9 REYKJAVIK > Grundarfjordur > Patreksfjordur > Siglufjordur > Husavik > Seydisfjordur > Djupivogur > Heimaey, Westman Islands

> REYKJAVIK

08 Jul 20 12 REYKJAVIK > Isafjordur > Akureyri > EskiFjordur > Day at sea > Tórshavn > Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland > Kirkwall, Orkney

Islands, Scotland > Invergordon, Scotland > Leith (Edinburgh), Scotland > Day at sea > LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE)

01 Aug 20 12 COPENHAGEN > Oslo > Day at sea > Flåm > Gudvangen > Ålesund > Trondheim > Åndalsnes > Hellesylt > Geiranger > Bergen

> Day at sea > LONDON (TOWER BRIDGE)ANSOCEANC

15 Feb 21 21 USHUAIA > Day at sea > New Island > West Point Island > Port Stanley > Day at sea > South Georgia > 3 Days at sea > Gough

Island > Tristan Da Cunha > Nightingale Island > 4 Days at sea > Cape Town > CAPE TOWN

S

Copenhagen,

Rosepark,

The original pdf has posted has the phantom cruise on it. Stumblefoo spotted there had been changes too it... I guess this was one of them. (Several Alaskan voyages have been changed too.)

The big mystery is the Cloak and dagger stuff. It reminds me of the Spirit expansion. Everyone on here knew it was coming... and no announcement made. Actually I was never officially informed. I learned on here and phoned. I never got a letter or email informing me. Comms never have been a strong point.

The latest unsubstantiated rumor I have is from the Cruise Consultant here on the Spirit.

She has heard from SS marketing that RCL intend to move one of their other ships to SS to replace the Discoverer when her lease runs out, which I think is before the Wind even completes her published itineraries.

The only expedition ships RCL has are in the Celebrity fleet and it may possibly be true because, altho' the Xpedition (94 pax) is showing itineraries till end 2020, the new build Flora (100 pax) is coming in May 2019, and there is much muttering on the Celeb board about the unexplained disappearance of the Xperience and the Xploration (these are small and old, however).

Whether RCI is planning to rebrand one of these to SS, or just loan one till the Wind has been Cloudified, or none of the above, who knows?

The latest unsubstantiated rumor I have is from the Cruise Consultant here on the Spirit.

She has heard from SS marketing that RCL intend to move one of their other ships to SS to replace the Discoverer when her lease runs out, which I think is before the Wind even completes her published itineraries.

Whether RCI is planning to rebrand one of these to SS, or just loan one till the Wind has been Cloudified, or none of the above, who knows?

Oh boy, this is going to be fun to follow over the next 18 - 24 months.

I do agree JJ there is an indecision in the background still to unfold.

On the Wind right now and won’t bother to ask... not even the Capt. would have a clue I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hope you had a great lunch Les, looking forward to some photos.