Tell me about your spa treatment experience

megbowlstrike

Hi! I've only used the spa once--I had a pedicure on my first cruise in 2005. I'm interested in treating myself to a service on one of my upcoming Vista cruises. I know it's more expensive than on land, and I've read about the salesman stuff at the end of the treatment. I was thinking about maybe a facial, salt scrub, or massage (though, I'm pretty ticklish). What spa services/treatments have you done and enjoyed?

Last cruise I had the Thai Herbal Poultice massage, it was wonderful and you get to keep the poultice (kept it in the bathroom cuz it smelled so good), there was no attempt to sell me anything at the end. I liked it so much I have it booked again for my upcoming Horizon cruise.

It is expensive, but for me it is a vacation treat that I treasure!

We get a spa pass unless we are in a spa cabin! If you like steam rooms and warm loungers ... it is totally worth it. I normally stick with the massages and manicures and pedicures. A lot of the other treatments are items that work better long term over many treatments ... so save those for a spa at home. Do the relaxing items!!! : -) Love walking into the massage rooms and looking out at the ocean!!!!

Yes, the services are pricier; however, I love the spa services as do my young adult children. I won a day pass (used it on the final sea day) some years ago: those tiled, heated loungers are just my style, I discovered. The relaxation room with lemon-infused cold water and seats with sea views - ahhh, I could stay there for hours. Almost any sort of massage or seasalt scrub is great...except for one demo'd on my husband at the Spa Tour....a person would have to be made of iron to withstand that treatment! [it wasn't hot stone but it was very, very deeply-kneaded/vigorous...she used some kind of "tool" for the demonstration.] My daughters began going to the spa at about age 16 - and they still love it now! Go to the Spa tour - and then you will begin receiving full-page ads for special-pricing packages in your cabin.

I have gotten a hot stone massage a couple of times. I always tell them up front that I don't want to buy anything so I don't want a sales pitch at the end. If I get one I'll lower their tip for sure. So far I haven't had to tho. Massages have been good, not quite as good as the ones I get monthly but she has learned what I like and don't like. Yes, the ship's are much more expensive, but heck, I'm on a cruise.....

I tell them right away that I don't want to buy anything but they still sometimes give me a list of the products they used on me. My favorites are the combo treatments where you get a facial and a massage, with the full-body salt scrub.

Is there a special price for a combo treatment? How did you book that combo? I looked on the online spa offerings and didn't see it--maybe it's an onboard offering?

Used to, we'd get fliers in the room with spa specials, like 6 short treatments for $100. I haven't seen those lately--do they still offer those specials? Also, I haven't seen much info about port-day spa specials on my last few cruises. Do you have to sign up or tour the spa to receive info on specials?

Used to, we'd get fliers in the room with spa specials, like 6 short treatments for $100. I haven't seen those lately--do they still offer those specials? Also, I haven't seen much info about port-day spa specials on my last few cruises. Do you have to sign up or tour the spa to receive info on specials?

My last cruise I wasn't planning on getting any spa services like the rest of my family, but a lady from the spa had a table set up on the promenade and was offering specials and I managed to get a pedicure, facial and massage for the same price as just the massage.

I know from pre-booking for the the others that the port day prices online were cheaper than those on sea days.

Is there a special price for a combo treatment? How did you book that combo? I looked on the online spa offerings and didn't see it--maybe it's an onboard offering?

Yes, if I remember correctly, the prices are anywhere between $99 and $169, depending on the day and what's included. There's a combo listed on their main menu but it's almost $300 (!!!). I've only booked the thermal suite pre-cruise, I have only found these deals onboard. On my last cruise I found that if you go to the "women's pamper party" offered a few times during the week, you can get even better price reductions :D

I've had my hair cut at least 5 times, have had manicures, pedicures, and DH almost always gets a massage and has had facials, manicures, and pedicures. We both enjoyed the services and book them on port days when less expensive. DH goes up to the Spa on embarkation day to see about any specials and has gotten massage/facial deals for that evening or the next morning. So what if they cost more than on land? We're on vacation and it's all part of the cost of the vacations.

I don't think ANY of the treatments are worth the price....but it is your vacation...so do what floats your boat!

Wow! Lucky you...you have tried all the spa services on all the ships. Sorry you didn't think ANY of them were worth the money. :rolleyes:

Wow! Lucky you...you have tried all the spa services on all the ships. Sorry you didn't think ANY of them were worth the money. :rolleyes:

Some people are just not into spa treatments and/or cannot justify the money. Makes it easier for us to get a good appointment time! :D For me it's a "must do" on every cruise.

Here is my review of the treatments we had on our last cruise:

Elemis Pro-collagen grooming treatment w/ shave. DH rates this an A-. He said it was nice and he booked it during our tour when the barber was offering a free haircut with purchase. He like his haircut and he came back with an expensive Elemis moisturizer because he has a hard time saying no....he has used it every day though and he really likes the moisturizer.

Thai Herbal Poultice massage--DH got this and would give it an A-. He though Wachi, the massage therapist, did an amazing job and he loved the use of hot stones that this included. He didn't really think the extra charge for the Thai poultice part was worth it although he liked the smell of the herbs. They give you the poultices to take home if you wish, but I asked DH to throw them away because I did not care for the smell at all. He said next time he would book a hot stone massage.

Elemis Aromastone massage--I got this and would give it an A-. My massage therapist was Julie and she was great at adjusting the pressure since I'm a wimp. It was really nice, but I felt that it was overly product-focused and next time I would just book a regular Swedish massage and add hot stones. We were able to book our massages together as a couple's massage in the same room even though we had different types of massages. We liked that.

14-day Shellac manicure--I give this an A. I wasn't planning on getting a manicure. I usually only get my nails done for special events or vacations. I had them done a couple of days before we left home. I realized that my nail person must have forgot to prepare the nail beds with bonder because the shellac polish started popping right off in the shower. Since I was down to only 4 painted nails two days into the cruise, I decided to get a manicure. Chloe from England was the nail tech and she did a really great job, even though she was kind of stabby with my cuticles and that part was not comfortable. Usually shellac lasts 10-12 days on my nails so we'll see if I can really get 14 days out of this.

Reflexology--I give this an A+. I was complaining to DH after all of our ports that my feet were tired from all the walking we had been doing. He mentioned it to Wachi in passing and she said she would give me 20% off this treatment. That was a pretty good deal I thought. I didn't know what to expect because I had never had a reflexology massage before; it was basically a really in depth calf and foot massage. It was seriously amazing and I would book this on every cruise after days of walking!