Port excursions - Edinburgh vs Glasgow?

We have a British Isles cruise booked for September 2019. The ship will dock at Greenock from 8 am - 7 pm.

The excursion offerings are a little disappointing in that the time is so short. We are considering Edinburgh On Your Own for $84 which involves 2 hours on the bus each way and 4 hours to explore. Our other option is Glasgow On Your Own for $57, with a 45 minute bus ride each way and 3 hours to explore.

We have never been to Scotland. We originally thought Edinburgh was a sure bet as there is plenty we want to see there but only 4 hours to sightsee is ridiculous.

Has anyone here done either of these as port stops from Greenock and can tell us about your experience?

Thank you!

It depends what you like. I really enjoyed Glasgow because I am interested in Charles Rennie Mackintosh and art. We did the HOHO one day we were there and it was very good as it had live commentary.

I have visited Edinburgh, but can’t remember much about it. If I were to choose it would be Glasgow as it’s closer and there’s lots to see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You should check out private tours. We did a tour with Clyde Coast Tours this past August. It was an all day tour to Edinburgh for the Tattoo from Greenock. It was my favorite tour, not just for the Tattoo. The guide did an excellent job. Check them out for their tours; they do others that do not go to the Tattoo (closed now).

I arrived jet lagged in Glasgow on Tuesday and did the HOHO so that we could stay awake. While the commentary was good, there wasn’t anything that I would say was a must see. I have made my way to Edinburgh via a day in St. Andrews and have spent the day at Calton Hill and the downtown area and am looking forward to the next 2 days here before boarding in Southampton for our UK cruise.

Edinburgh has such a wonderful vibe that I didn’t get in Glasgow.

Definitely look into private tours in Greenock. We used Discover Scotland and had a great day. Stirling Castle is beautiful! .

If your ship calls at South Queenferry as ours did in June it is much closer to go to Edinburgh from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glasgow, (my home town) does not have the historical past of Edinburgh. It was more of a commercial and industrial city, therefore there is no castle etc.

There is however plenty to do and see.

There is a HOHO bus which leaves from George Square and takes you round most of the places.

In George Square itself, you will find the City Chambers (town hall). Tripadvisor clients voted this the No1 attraction in Glasgow. It really is a stunning building.

If museums and art is your thing, about 100 yards from George Sq., in Queen St, there is the Museum of Modern Art.

Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery is world class. There is so much to see in the museum and the Art Gallery boasts many originals from eg Picasso, Dali, Monet, Degas, Rembrandt etc.

The Peoples Palace at Glasgow Green (city centre park) focuses on Glasgow history.

Entrance to all museums in Glasgow is free.

Glasgow Cathedral is a magnificent Gothic building, parts of which date back to the 1200s. Beside this there the Religious Museum and Provands Lordship which is the oldest house in Glasgow (1471)

The Glasgow School of Art was designed by Charles Rennie MacKintosh and is a popular attraction. ( since I posted this originally GSA has been badly affected by 2 fires)

Glasgow is also a fantastic city for shopping with Buchanan Street the most popular area.

The city centre is fairly compact. It is also safe ( as long as you take normal precautions)

If I can be more specific about anything, please let me know.

Having said all that, I would admit that Edinburgh is more interesting for tourists

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Edited by scottie99
Information

Edinburgh Castle or the Britannia?

4 hours is not long and keep in mind the need for toilets and refreshments. Depends where you get dropped off but the castle will be nearest and by the time you have done that (don't forget the one o'clock gun) and wandered the Royal Mile area and the souvenir shops, listened to the bagpipe players you will have used up most of your time. The Britannia is just over 2 miles away in Leith and unless your really interested in an old ship I would give it a miss as you just don't have time.

Edinburgh Castle or the Britannia?

4 hours is not long and keep in mind the need for toilets and refreshments. Depends where you get dropped off but the castle will be nearest and by the time you have done that (don't forget the one o'clock gun) and wandered the Royal Mile area and the souvenir shops, listened to the bagpipe players you will have used up most of your time. The Britannia is just over 2 miles away in Leith and unless your really interested in an old ship I would give it a miss as you just don't have time.

It is going to be tough having only 4 hours in Edinburgh but we will go into this knowing it will be a rushed day. We don’t normally take the ship’s excursions but we will for this one for the insurance that we will be back to Greenock in time.

The ship excursions, at least for this year, were Edinburgh with tours of the castle and Holyrood Palace or the castle and Brittania. We decided against the “on your own” option because of time constraints. My daughter is a huge fan of the royal family, especially Princess Diana, and she really wants to see the Brittania for the historical significance.

We will consider this short trip a sampler of Edinburgh. We can always return for a few days on a future land-based trip if we love it.