What’s Included? Differences between Regent and Crystal...

snuggarelli

Hi Jackie, yes the 3 penthouse categories on Crystal are PH (Penthouse), PS (Penthouse Suite) and CP (Crystal Penthouse). As you correctly surmised, I was referring to the CP which I was comparing with the MS on Explorer. The MS on Explorer is significantly lower in price than the CP on Crystal and, in my opinion, is pretty much comparable in terms of its amenities and comfort.

Hi Jackie, yes the 3 penthouse categories on Crystal are PH (Penthouse), PS (Penthouse Suite) and CP (Crystal Penthouse). As you correctly surmised, I was referring to the CP which I was comparing with the MS on Explorer. The MS on Explorer is significantly lower in price than the CP on Crystal and, in my opinion, is pretty much comparable in terms of its amenities and comfort.

Also, the Serenity CP has two full bathrooms. The Serenity CP is amazing. The Symphony has 1 1/2 bathrooms in the CP the cost for the MS on Explorer which seems equal is less and looks amazing as well. Space is very important to us as well.

DaisyUK - Master Suites on Voyager and Mariner have 2 1/2 bathrooms in addition to two bedrooms (Explorer has 2 bathrooms).

We think the MS on the Explorer will be just fine. Very similar to the Serenity CP. Who needs another 1/2 bath anyway when you have two full ones. On the Voyager the second bedroom was not used and we stowed are luggage in there.

DaisyUK - Master Suites on Voyager and Mariner have 2 1/2 bathrooms in addition to two bedrooms (Explorer has 2 bathrooms).

Thanks for the info. We only need one bedroom but prefer 2 baths (or 1.5). Still loved the MS on Explorer though!

J, we are on the Serenity now, and while the wi-fi speed is pretty decent when it is up, it has been maddeningly cutting out... frequently. It will come back after about 5-10 minutes, then a little while later, the same. Not sure if this is typical, or just a quirk.

Bob

Bob - This is one of the biggest factors we were comparing the two cruise lines. We'd like to be able to say good night every night to our youngest kids as well as check in with our pets. If Crystal has the same problems as Regent in terms of internet, it may be an equalizer rather than a major positive for us in the direction of Crystal.:(

Bob - This is one of the biggest factors we were comparing the two cruise lines. We'd like to be able to say good night every night to our youngest kids as well as check in with our pets. If Crystal has the same problems as Regent in terms of internet, it may be an equalizer rather than a major positive for us in the direction of Crystal.:(
Just to be clear, when the internet is up and running, it is fine. Sitting on the pool deck, on both lines, generally no problem. My issue is that here, (Serenity) I frequently am trying to upload photos, and get an "upload failed" message. When I check my connection, it isn't there. 5 to 10 minutes later, it is back, all is well for a while, then.....

I do have to say that in my cabin, I get a much stronger connection than I have ever with Regent, that may be purely a question of cabin location however.

Honestly, I wouldn't base my choice on this, the cutting out may just be a quirk, I still have 7 more days, I'll try to let you know if the problem persists.

BTW, we facetime with our grand baby every evening before we retire, (perfect timing w time difference), and have rarely had any issues.

Bob

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, when the internet is up and running, it is fine. Sitting on the pool deck, on both lines, generally no problem. My issue is that here, (Serenity) I frequently am trying to upload photos, and get an "upload failed" message. When I check my connection, it isn't there. 5 to 10 minutes later, it is back, all is well for a while, then.....

I do have to say that in my cabin, I get a much stronger connection than I have ever with Regent, that may be purely a question of cabin location however.

Honestly, I wouldn't base my choice on this, the cutting out may just be a quirk, I still have 7 more days, I'll try to let you know if the problem persists.

BTW, we facetime with our grand baby every evening before we retire, (perfect timing w time difference), and have rarely had any issues.

Bob

Hi Bob - would you say it's faster when it is working? I've heard it's faster, but since you are sending photos which we'd likely do as well, it'd be nice to have a general idea about the rumor/claim.

Hi Bob - would you say it's faster when it is working? I've heard it's faster, but since you are sending photos which we'd likely do as well, it'd be nice to have a general idea about the rumor/claim.
Hard to say for sure, but I do get the impression that when it is working, it is a bit faster here on the Serenity than I remember it being recently on the Voyager or explorer. But when you are getting a good signal, it is fine on both.

Bob

Hard to say for sure, but I do get the impression that when it is working, it is a bit faster here on the Serenity than I remember it being recently on the Voyager or explorer. But when you are getting a good signal, it is fine on both.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the clarification!

There are so many factors that affect internet connectivity on the ships. There have been multiple threads that are interesting but tend to get too technical for me.

The more people that are the internet at the same time - the slower the internet. So, when in port, many people are ashore and it is easy (most of the time) to get onto the internet. However, on sea days, it is slow quite slow. Very late at night and early in the morning typically works well.

Another factor is where you are in the world. The signal can cut out in mountainous areas (like Norway and Alaska).

We take pictures on our iPhone or iPad and send them via email on the ship and it works fine..... just a bit slow. I post photos on Cruise Critic using Tapatalk.

We have been on four other cruise lines and I can't say that the internet was consistently better or worse on other cruise lines. Regent's sister company Oceania had a huge upgrade and expected great connectivity (some Regent passengers were a bit jealous:evilsmile:). It ends up that it is no better than Regent (as per a thread on the subject on the Oceania thread).

Can you reach your children every day? I would say 99% yes. Sending photos is fine as well - I just wouldn't do it when the internet is slow (when everyone is onboard).

Another difference I thought of is the dancing/nightlife which we enjoy more on Crystal. Crystal has lots of venues with music and the best dance floors we've seen on ships. I also enjoy the professional dancers they have in addition to the dance troupe that does the main theater shows. These dancers also teach lessons on sea days. The live music and dancing in combination with enrichment and excellent nightly entertainment is a real advantage for us.

Hi from the Serenity, just an update on the internet.

When it is up and running, it seems to me to be the fastest that I can remember having on a cruise ship.

But the outages are continuing, frequently and maddeningly. Several times in the afternoon, I am trying to post photos, and get "upload failed" messages, it does come back, sometimes quickly, sometimes not so much. It is getting very frustrating.

There is another Crystal-Regent difference that occurs to me, which may or may not concern people- on Crystal, the evening events such as Captains Party, Crystal Society Party, Cruise Critic M and M are consistently at 7:45. They like to cater to the late and early fixed diners. For those of us that 6:00 is too early and 8:30 too late , we are left out. If memory serves, these type of events on Regent were 6:30 ish, so those of us that like to dine at 7-7:30 or so are fine.

Even though they are switching to anytime dining, they already have done so on the Symphony, and I am told that those times are being retained there. Old habits die hard.

I have had to miss all these events, to me this is not a dealbreaker, but people should be aware of this.

Bob

Thanks Bob re: your thoughts again on the Internet. And you’re right- I’m one of those people who get stuck in analysis paralysis. I sit there and ponder over which ones have king beds, which ones have better internet, which ones have the welcome champagne, etc... I should be like my DH- he’s the Golden Retriever of Cruises. Doesn’t care as long as there’s food and good company.