Questions about the 20th cruise -- The Free One

golfguyhhi

grmmybtty,

"Oceania took our deposit with the understanding that it would only be “free” if we completed the other cruises"

How long after your 19th cruise was your 20th?

Our last cruise was 35 days and counted as 18, 19, and 20. It ended in May 2018. Our next cruise started at the end of July and since we paid for it was counted as 21. Our free cruise was the 2nd leg of the B2B.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm concluding then that when the happy day arrives for us to plan our 20th cruise, we should do it as a stand-alone sailing and not part of a back-to-back. Is that right?

No problem with taking it as a B2B. It was sold as a grand voyage, but our TA got Oceania to give it to us as 2 separate cruises. We got Platinum amenities for both legs since Oceania does include them with the free cruise now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

On the free 20th cruise with included air, can you fly in early, or fly back days later?  Maybe pay air deviation?

We normally book an oceanview cabin.  If an oceanview is not available on the cruise we desire, can we get a veranda and pay the difference?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ruthnlarry said:

On the free 20th cruise with included air, can you fly in early, or fly back days later?  Maybe pay air deviation?

We normally book an oceanview cabin.  If an oceanview is not available on the cruise we desire, can we get a veranda and pay the difference?

Thanks!

If you're on the 20th cruise you are not paying for deviations. It starts being free at 15. But yes, you can fly in early and leave late, but you may have to pay extra, depending on the flights.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:52 AM, golfguyhhi said:

If you have taken your 20th Oceania cruise, the (14 days for) free one, can you tell me how far in advance you were able to book it as your 20th? I know there is a 180 day minimum advance requirement.

Also, and more importantly, did you book the cruise as the second cruise of a back-to-back? Did you have any problem with Oceania in doing so?

Here's why I'm asking:

We have our 18th cruise booked for April, 2020. We want to book a back-to-back in November, 2020 with the first cruise as our 19th, and the second leg as our 20th. We want to do this booking as soon as the rest of the 2020 schedule is released (which is supposed to be in mid-October of this year)

Oceania says we can't do that -- that's what they've told our TA. I've asked for clarification and we're still waiting.

I'm trying to find out if the issue is that we have to have COMPLETED our 19th before we can attempt to book the 20th (no less than 180 days in advance). This presents a problem as the second cruise (which would be our 20th) is very popular and the cabin class we want books very quickly, and it is only offered once a year. And I really want to do the cruises as a back-to-back.

Any guidance you gleaned from your experience in this undertaking would be greatly appreciated.

We did exactly what you are asking for a few years ago.   We booked B to B cruises and had to pay for both (the second cruise was going to be #20).  When we were about 60 days out from the first cruise Oceania refunded the prorata cost of 14 days of the second cruise (the second cruise was a 20 day cruise and Oceania's FREE cruise is just for 14 days).

Joel