When will the Caribbean Princess Propulsion issues be fixed

blue cow dog

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

While not denying that this is so (and apparently the main reason for the Internet) someone posted (here or in another thread) that their son was working on the CB and he said they'd never get it done in time.  There were others who were knowledgeable about these kind of things who offered similar opinions.  So the problem wasn't just invented out of thin air.

I was betting that the cruise line knew what it was doing and wouldn't leave us stranded.  Apparently, at least this time, the cruise line got it right.

If our past experience holds. there probably be workman onboard finishing the new pool deck area. We were on the diamond Princess after a month long dry dock in Singapore. They had not finished the Japanese Bath House before or even during our cruise.

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

While not denying that this is so (and apparently the main reason for the Internet) someone posted (here or in another thread) that their son was working on the CB and he said they'd never get it done in time.  There were others who were knowledgeable about these kind of things who offered similar opinions.  So the problem wasn't just invented out of thin air.

I was betting that the cruise line knew what it was doing and wouldn't leave us stranded.  Apparently, at least this time, the cruise line got it right.

Having worked in a shipyard when i was young I know they don't let much go wrong. To many rut ro's will put them out of business. Last i saw today on Cruise Mapper they were about 100 miles East of Grand Bahama.

16 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I disagreed with that poster's son, and I believe in a later post he/she said that their son had now reported that things were on schedule.

• Like 2

I would think Princess would know how much time was alotted to fix the issues at the shipyard they engaged with to fix.  Never made sense to me that folks would question that.  They knew what was the issue, what it would take to fix it for months now.

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I would think Princess would know how much time was alotted to fix the issues at the shipyard they engaged with to fix.  Never made sense to me that folks would question that.  They knew what was the issue, what it would take to fix it for months now.

Shipyard repairs are somewhat more art than science, and just like your car sometimes when you bring it in to the garage, they open it up and "surprise", there is a further problem.  It happens, but most times there is some contingency time built into a repair specification, and there can also be additional resources allotted as needed.

One only needs to look at the number of drydocks that result in having contractors still completing work on the first cruise to see that it isn't an exact science.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

It is repaired as far as I can see. They set out on sea trials 3 days ago and are currently sailing at 18 Kn about 150 miles NE of Grand Bahama. Pt. Everglades website says arrival at six AN on the 14th. There were tech people on board off and on for almost a year ahead of this job. I'm sure when she arrived at the ship yard everything and some extra was there waiting. Marine Traffic position is about 36 hrs old. 

I used Cruise Mapper to find her.

Edited by rokwldr
  • Like 1