Help! Need suggestions for a fun thing to do with my 21 YO son.

jjswiech

I am travelling with just my 21 year old son in January. Our cruise ship is not arriving until 11:30 so we won't be able to get to a beach early. There will be 6 ships in port the day we are the 5th ship to arrive.

In other ports we have taken taxi tours of the island and the tour operator had a cooler of beers for us in the taxi. Being "newly" 21 - I think this is something my son would enjoy. I can't find any tours like this in St. Thomas, the ones I have located are tours that offer water and soda.

I am not a fan of bars so I do not want to go hang out in a beach bar. Is there a place within walking distance of Havensight where I could buy some beers to put in a soft sided cooler for him to enjoy at a beach?

With 6 ships in port that day what beach would everyone suggest?

My son loves to lay out in the sun but I need my shade. With us arriving later and 5th of 6 ships, I am afraid if we schedule a beach day I will not be able to enjoy it because the beaches will be packed and I won't be able to find any shade.

I considered the Kon Tiki party boat but I have read that it is not as good as it used to be. I also was considering a catamaran trip to "TURTLE COVE". Or land tours with Godfrey tours or Sunny Liston. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions of what would be the most fun for a 21 year old?

There are no beaches within walking distance of where cruise ships dock. Lindbergh or Emerald is probably the closest to Havensight. There are beaches with bars where the bars are not the main attractions. Bolongo Bay, Secret Harbor, Sapphire Beach, Magen's Bay etc-- when we are cruising, we pack a large soft side cooler so we can grab drinks at the port and take to the beach. I cannot think of any tour in StT that includes drinks. One may allow you to take a cooler with you, I am not sure.

am not a fan of bars so I do not want to go hang out in a beach bar. Is there a place within walking distance of Havensight where I could buy some beers to put in a soft sided cooler for him to enjoy at a beach?

The Pueblo grocery store, although it looks like a dive, is walking distance from the port. Cheap beer in singles and six packs. Can also buy other food there.

The Pueblo grocery store, although it looks like a dive, is walking distance from the port. Cheap beer in singles and six packs. Can also buy other food there.

Thank you! This sounds like a decent plan if we do not go on an official excursion. Taxis seem a little pricey here so I want to make sure we make the most of our trip.

Yes your late arrival and number of ships in port are working against you as far as getting to a nice shaded section of a beach early.

Have you considered hiring a driver like Dean’s Taxi or Marley’s if still in business for 4 or 5 hours and stopping at a beach like Sapphire for a couple hours?

https://www.deanstaxi.com/

https://m.facebook.com/Marleys-Taxi-Service-152755565169802/

Have a cooler ready for you or stop to pick up a cooler and drinks and tour the island in style with a stop at Sapphire or Secret Harbor for lunch. Maybe get dropped at Paradise Point after for the view and a cocktail, then take the tram down.

May cost a bit more but would be a good option for this day!