Brown Bear???

dogladyjw

To see grizzlies (which is what we call brown bears in the Interior), the long park shuttle busses into Denali almost guarantee sightings (sometimes very close, sometimes distant). To see coastal browns, the very expensive fly-outs from Ketchikan offer the best viewing opportunities for cruisers, from mid-July to late August depending on the specific location.

Murray

Most of the Ketchikan August trips only see blacks. Do you have a specific location for browns out of Ketchikan, Murray?? Anan can have them early in the season.

I saw browns in Hoonah (private tour out of Icy Strait). Also available from Pack Creek, fly in out of Juneau- go with Alaska Fly N Fish.

Hoonah is probably the best bet for brown bears, unless you are on a small ship like Cruise West of Linblad, especially in late summer. If you go to Glacier Bay, brown bears are often seen near Margerie glacier but the ship won't usually announce them, and you'll definately need binoculars.

Hoonah is probably the best bet for brown bears, unless you are on a small ship like Cruise West of Linblad, especially in late summer. If you go to Glacier Bay, brown bears are often seen near Margerie glacier but the ship won't usually announce them, and you'll definately need binoculars.

Yes I have seen them in Glacier Bay, BUT even with binoculars they were "dots" on the hillside, in May I've seen them walking on the shoreline, never later in the season for me. I had 10 power binoculars and barely saw them in the Hopkins Inlet, most people could not follow the "directions" to even find the location.

Brown and black bears are seen daily at Exit Glacier right on the trails.(Make sure to wear bells so they know it's dinner time!)I've seen bears in town and along the road to Anch.The Cooper Landing /Russian river area is a very popular place, especially when the salmon are spawning.Seems every year someone is attacked there.I saw a brown bear shot due to killing livestock and becoming a threat to the locals.Also in Hoonah on a private tour of the local dump.(that was a few years ago.)

Archived