Carry On vs Checked Luggage

Houston34s

OP- Love your screen name. Three of the greats.

If I travel alone I can make due with a backpack for as long as a week (I graduated from the Rick Steves school of packing). Since none of my cruises are alone, we usually take a rolling duffel and a small suitcase. I give them to the porter. It's not worth the hassle of carrying them around and inconveniencing others. I've seen a few people with two or three large bags sitting in crowded places like the Lido buffet, with the crowds forced to maneuver around them. It's crazy enough on embarkation day as it is without turning it into an obstacle course.

Thanks for the input my fellow Houstonian and true sports fan!

Something to consider from the posted guidelines:

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked.

The rules are for both checked and carry-on. Even if you are checking your luggage it shouldn't be more than 16"x24" (length doesn't matter).

I guess I'm trying to figure out the checked/carry-on thing. I'm used to this terminology on planes, but have never cruised before so can someone explain what this is all about? I picture getting off the plane with my carry-on, going and getting my larger luggage and meeting the shuttle to the ship outside. Then entering the ship from the shuttle(not expecting it to be such a long stretch as to ruin our wheels)and having them "check" our stuff and then we go to our rooms? Where am I wrong? And how can you pack lightly for a 7-day cruise? I try to pack light wherever I go but I'm worried about the weather and needing warm and cold clothes.

When you get to the port you will check-in at the port terminal before boarding the ship. It can be a lot of rolling, but our wheels have had no issues.

You will want to carry some items with you: passport, boarding pass, medicines, cash, electronics, soft drinks, bottle of wine, change of clothes, anything else you don't want to risk being lost. Most people check their larger luggage piece before entering the check-in (and in the states a small tip of $2-5 per bag is often given) but some choose to keep all luggage with them - especially if they have priority access to their room or are boarding after rooms should be available.

You can go to your room immediately with Faster to the Fun (FTTF) (also Diamond & Platinum loyalty passengers), otherwise you need to wait until around 1:30 (our last cruise was around 2:30 I think before doors were opened to general public).

There are lots of ideas for light packing, but for the weather concerns just keep in mind that you can wear the same items multiple times if you only wore them for a few hours. You might want 2 long sleeve options, but you won't need 7.

Hope that helps:)

First time cruiser next June. Figured I should start getting these newbie questions out of the way. Pros and cons of carrying on one med rolling duffle or checking one bag. I'm leaning toward the carry on as it would suffice for the trip. I'm curious about the size limit though. All I've seen is it must fit through scanner. Can anyone be more specific as to the measurements of such a duffle?

"Lugging it around" with you is not a big deal. Our last cruise we had medium suitcase full of canned soda and 7-8 books. It was heavy. But it had wheels. And there are elevators on ship. We wheeled to the elevator after getting on ship. Up the elevator to the lido. Wheeled through the lido to stairs leading up to the Italian restaurant. I had my 18 year old son carry it up the stairs...oh the horror of it all. We had a nice relaxing lunch, and then about 1:20 we left the restaurant to go to our cabin. I carried it down one flight of steps...absolutely exhausting and at that time I wish I spent $90 for FTTF...NOT! Wheeled it to our cabin on the lido deck and were done with it. Again not a big deal...not a little deal...it is no deal at all.

Something to consider from the posted guidelines:

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked.

The rules are for both checked and carry-on. Even if you are checking your luggage it shouldn't be more than 16"x24" (length doesn't matter).

When you get to the port you will check-in at the port terminal before boarding the ship. It can be a lot of rolling, but our wheels have had no issues.

You will want to carry some items with you: passport, boarding pass, medicines, cash, electronics, soft drinks, bottle of wine, change of clothes, anything else you don't want to risk being lost. Most people check their larger luggage piece before entering the check-in (and in the states a small tip of $2-5 per bag is often given) but some choose to keep all luggage with them - especially if they have priority access to their room or are boarding after rooms should be available.

You can go to your room immediately with Faster to the Fun (FTTF) (also Diamond & Platinum loyalty passengers), otherwise you need to wait until around 1:30 (our last cruise was around 2:30 I think before doors were opened to general public).

There are lots of ideas for light packing, but for the weather concerns just keep in mind that you can wear the same items multiple times if you only wore them for a few hours. You might want 2 long sleeve options, but you won't need 7.

Hope that helps:)

Yes. If it is a caribbean cruise, you won't need much warm clothing. I usually bring a pair of jeans and a zip up sweatshirt or sweater that I wear for a few hours each evening when attending shows.

First time cruiser next June. Figured I should start getting these newbie questions out of the way. Pros and cons of carrying on one med rolling duffle or checking one bag. I'm leaning toward the carry on as it would suffice for the trip. I'm curious about the size limit though. All I've seen is it must fit through scanner. Can anyone be more specific as to the measurements of such a duffle?

I have learned to pack light and carry on our bags. We pick our check in time of 1 or 130 so rooms are ready when we get on board. We walk right to our room to drop them off. Even though we will be platinum on our next cruise, I think we will still do this check in--its just so easy and no lines at all.

As far as what to pack...you truly wont use half of the stuff you pack. I have learned each time to lay it all out then rethink everything before packing it. Even then I still have stuff I don't use. We also use the ships laundry mid cruise, so again don't need too many clothes. Nobody is going to remember what you wore Monday vs Friday :):) I wear tennis shoes when I board and pack 1 pair of sandals.

We just keep it simple. Our first cruise...we had about 12 suitcases for 4 of us...that was crazy and my oldest son--21 at the time, brought 13 pairs of shoes!! We have definitely learned :):)

Yes. If it is a caribbean cruise, you won't need much warm clothing. I usually bring a pair of jeans and a zip up sweatshirt or sweater that I wear for a few hours each evening when attending shows.

Ok that's what I was wondering because when checking the weather in the Caribbean in February it said 70-75 so I'm hoping that's a "hot" 70-75. I live in New York where the weather is insane and 70 can be pretty cold depending on the wind just like 60 today I was sweating cause the humidity was so high!!

Been going to the caribbean for decades....only cold once after snorkling for hours on the boat ride back to the hotel...that said throw in a light sweater for the parts of the ship that might be too cool for you...the motto often posted here is half the clothing and twice the money...because we only do carryon to fly there isnt much extra in our bags that we want to be without....so we carry them on the ship....we have witnessed bags going overboard....and starting to sink...have a wonderful trip!

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1373/kw/luggage%20sizes%20for%20scanners