Seeking something to do near Miami Airport for a few hours

VegasMark

Hello - My Dad and I both have flights at 5:45pm out of Miami after our cruise. We are doing an Everglades excursion, but that will probably still leave us with four hours or so at the airport. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for a way to kill a few hours near the airport (we can take an Uber or walk). Obviously there is a lot to do downtown or at South Beach, but I'm sure my Dad will not want to venture that far. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Versailles is a famous Cuban restaurant you could taxi or Uber to for a late lunch.

There's also a hotel inside the MIA airport - cleverly called the Miami Airport Hotel - where for a fee you might be able to use the pool, grab a shower or catch a nap.

Which Everglades tour are your doing? The good half-day ones will keep you out until about 1:30 and drop you to where ever you wish to go. I would be sure to pay a bit more for a decent Everglades excursion rather than one of the tacky touristy ones. Seek out a company where you will be on an airboat for about an hour. The ones with 30 minute rides are pointless and not worth the effort to get there. Actually, I did a comparison of all Everglades excursions for one of my classes, I will try to find this and post later to the board. I was lucky enough to take every tour out there (for free too!!!) for my class project and have a break down of pros and cons for all of them because certain things will appeal to certain people. Thanks for reminding me!

If you are flying American Airlines their terminal is huge. A good mix of stores (not just news stands but stores selling art, big duty free, Miami Heat store etc..) and different places to eat and drink that can easily keep one occupied for a few hours. La Carreta has great Cuban food there by gate D35.

As for other ideas, lunch in Little Havana is a good one. Dolphin Mall is very close to the airport if you want to be close by.

On a weekend Miami Airport is a 20-minute drive from almost anything. Downtown, Brickell, Coral Gables, Little Havana etc.. Closer to 30-minutes from South Beach.

On a weekday it varies by time of day.

Kind of funny you would have Holiday Park and not include Sawgrass Recreation.

Also, if they are doing the 10,000 islands... isn't that one heck of a bus ride?

I didn't include Sawgrass Recreation because they don't include transportation. Between Holiday Park and Sawgrass I definitely enjoy Sawgrass more. The ride out to 10,000 Islands went by like a flash on the 3 tours I did which included a trip to Chokoloskee Island and Eveglades City. There was so much to see. The narration was really informative (even though I did this 3 time I really learned a great deal from all of the guides). Also, there were plenty of stops we did along the way to break up the journey. We really were not sitting for more than 20 minutes between the stops.

I didn't include Sawgrass Recreation because they don't include transportation. Between Holiday Park and Sawgrass I definitely enjoy Sawgrass more. The ride out to 10,000 Islands went by like a flash on the 3 tours I did which included a trip to Chokoloskee Island and Eveglades City. There was so much to see. The narration was really informative (even though I did this 3 time I really learned a great deal from all of the guides). Also, there were plenty of stops we did along the way to break up the journey. We really were not sitting for more than 20 minutes between the stops.

I just think someone looking to do a tour before going to the airport may want to know what they are getting in to! Everglades City is a HIKE. It's almost 2 hours of driving each way.

In Fort Lauderdale, Holiday Park and Sawgrass Recreation are probably the most practical. Unless you want to make an entire day out of a trip that does 10,000 islands. That may be a bit much for some people.

Sawgrass Recreation does have transportation options provided by 3rd parties. It's right on their site:

https://www.evergladestours.com/transportation/

It's definitely not the "best" tour but it's practical, short drive, and they have a great little zoo with all the relevant Florida wild life - if in Fort Lauderdale.

Miami, definitely take the tours that are off Tamiami.

BTW,

Sawgrass Recreation is in the same category as Coopertow, Gator Park and Safari Park (all provide 30 minute rides) they do not pick up or provide any transportation. They all have animals in pens on exhibit, some let you hold a baby gator and all engage in the wrestling.

If someone drives themselves out to an airboat ride the BEST experience is Buffalo Tigers or Osceola. Their rides are 1 hour and are the real deal. They don't have animals in pens. I always refer my guests with transportation to Buffalo Tigers and remind them to stop into the Indian Village which is just down the road a few miles. They seem happy with this. But, it's a long drive on your own.

BNBR...you are 100% correct the full day trips are too long if one is trying to catch a flight. But, there half-day trips don't do that.

Transportation options by "third parties" defeats the purpose...isn't that what Uber or Lyft does?

BTW,

Sawgrass Recreation is in the same category as Coopertow, Gator Park and Safari Park (all provide 30 minute rides) they do not pick up or provide any transportation. They all have animals in pens on exhibit, some let you hold a baby gator and all engage in the wrestling.

If someone drives themselves out to an airboat ride the BEST experience is Buffalo Tigers or Osceola. Their rides are 1 hour and are the real deal. They don't have animals in pens. I always refer my guests with transportation to Buffalo Tigers and remind them to stop into the Indian Village which is just down the road a few miles. They seem happy with this. But, it's a long drive on your own.

Again, do you not realize how out of the way these places you are recommending if you are in FORT LAUDERDALE. These are good recommendations for Miami, yes, and relevant to this post, I'd agree. But definitely not for Fort Lauderdale unless someone wants to spend a lot longer time in their car.

Nothing wrong with having some animals in the pens, or maybe you could tell me how many wild Florida Panther you can expect to see on an airboat ride with Buffalo Tigers....

I think I'd also include Mack's in with the list if driving yourself. It's almost certainly the least touristy one.

You should also take in to account that you are on a cruise site. The cruise lines offer airboat excursions that are well organized, store luggage, and drop you off at the airport. I believe most use Sawgrass Recreation out of Fort Lauderdale. Which obviously DOES include full transportation.

Edited by BNBR

Thanks for all responses. FYI, Carnival's Everglades excursion includes transportation from the ship and to MIA Airport, an airboat ride (unknown duration), and alligator show for $50. I used a gift card from AARP's program, essentially making it $45 each - a pretty good deal. I'm sure it will be touristy, but we are tourists after all. I'm sure it won't be the best possible experience, but I think it combines some fun in a fair price.

Thanks for all responses. FYI, Carnival's Everglades excursion includes transportation from the ship and to MIA Airport, an airboat ride (unknown duration), and alligator show for $50. I used a gift card from AARP's program, essentially making it $45 each - a pretty good deal. I'm sure it will be touristy, but we are tourists after all. I'm sure it won't be the best possible experience, but I think it combines some fun in a fair price.

That's a fair price I think. You'll have a great time wherever you go.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:29 AM, BNBR said:

That's a fair price I think. You'll have a great time wherever you go.

Just wanted to reply again after our excursion this past weekend.  I'd highly recommend the Carnival Everglades excursion.  It was a full hour on the airboat, and we saw several crocs as well as many different bird species.  We got a free photo of ourselves with the river in the background, as well as the croc show (very brief, but cool) and transportation there and to the airport.  All in all, a very fair price for a nice experience.  We ended up just staying at the airport after and watched football and chatted.  Happy cruising to all!

28 minutes ago, VegasMark said:

Just wanted to reply again after our excursion this past weekend.  I'd highly recommend the Carnival Everglades excursion.  It was a full hour on the airboat, and we saw several crocs as well as many different bird species.  We got a free photo of ourselves with the river in the background, as well as the croc show (very brief, but cool) and transportation there and to the airport.  All in all, a very fair price for a nice experience.  We ended up just staying at the airport after and watched football and chatted.  Happy cruising to all!

Thank you for the update. I knew you would enjoy yourself! 

Which park did they take you to? 

11 hours ago, VegasMark said:

Thanks for the feedback!:classic_cool: