Student F1 VISA

flannbarr

We have a 16 year old high school exchange student from Spain living with us through June 2019. He is on an F1 VISA.

We would like to take a cruise in late March 2019 to the Caribbean. Do we have significant issues that have to be dealt with to allow him to cruise and re-enter the US after the cruise?

I haven't seen this asked in quite some time, but as I recall you might need a letter from his sponsoring agency allowing you to take him out of the country. And I am not familiar with the restrictions of an F1, whether it is multi-entry...EM

We have a 16 year old high school exchange student from Spain living with us through June 2019. He is on an F1 VISA.

We would like to take a cruise in late March 2019 to the Caribbean. Do we have significant issues that have to be dealt with to allow him to cruise and re-enter the US after the cruise?

Here is an excerpt from the ICE site:

Re-entry for F-1 Non-immigrants Travelling Outside the United States for Five Months or Fewer

This section of the FAQ applies to continuing F-1 students who travel outside the United States for five months or less.

Students should consult their Designated School Official (DSO) prior to travelling. Your DSO generally works in the International Student Office. You must have a current SEVIS Form I-20 endorsed for travel and your DSO needs to be able to verify that your SEVIS record is accurate and up-to-date.

Expand AllCollapse All

What are the basic requirements for an F-1 to re-enter the United States after travelling abroad on pleasure or personal business?

A Form I-20, endorsed for travel and signed by your DSO

You have been out of the United States for less than five months

A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry or, if you are from one of the countries listed below, a passport that is current through the date of entry

A valid, current visa or you travelled to contiguous country or adjacent island for less than thirty days

Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses

If you are from a visa exempt country, you do not need a visa to reenter the United States from the western hemisphere, but make sure that you present your I-20 to be admitted as an F-1 student and not a visitor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums