Eurodam wheelchair assist

meh56

We will be sailing the Eurodam out of San Diego and requested wheelchair assistance with boarding. We have not needed this before so it would be helpful to have some information on how it works.  My husband can not walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. Can anyone tell me where we get the wheelchair...Does someone meet us outside and take us thru security to the checkin desk? Then will they help to board us?  Do they take you to your cabin? Also any information about when we disembark would also be helpful.  We plan on staying onboard during the cruise.

Our TA fills out the form for wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation.

After I get out of the taxi, I ask the person at the terminal doors for wheelchair assistance.  The majority of the time someone comes right away with a wheel chair.  Other times I had to go through security first before they brought me a wheelchair -- and that was a hassle for me.

Before the end of the cruise check in at the front desk or with the concierges if you are in a Neptune or Pinnacle suite to make certain that you are on then list for wheelchair assistance for disembarkation.  

You will get a letter the last full day of the cruise telling where and what time to meet to get off the ship.

21 hours ago, meh56 said:

We will be sailing the Eurodam out of San Diego and requested wheelchair assistance with boarding. We have not needed this before so it would be helpful to have some information on how it works.  My husband can not walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. Can anyone tell me where we get the wheelchair...Does someone meet us outside and take us thru security to the checkin desk? Then will they help to board us?  Do they take you to your cabin? Also any information about when we disembark would also be helpful.  We plan on staying onboard during the cruise.

It is my experience that if you arrange for a wheel chair for San Diego that a chair will be waiting for you at the terminal building entrance (around 150 feet).  A port-assigned pusher will assist you through Security and Check-in.  The handicapped passengers with their families will board first and you will be pushed all the way to your stateroom.  If you rented a scooter or wheel chair, it will be in your stateroom waiting for you.

For disembarkation, your Disembarkation Request (received during the cruise) will have a place to indicate that you need wheel chair support.  You will meet at a designated location/time with your family near the gangway and a chair with HAL pusher will be there for you (often late).  It depends on the disembarkation port but some HAL pushers can go all the way to curbside with you.  Some ports limit your HAL pusher to no further than the luggage collection point.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

I don't know where to start....so much information has been posted on this link!

First of all, disabled patrons are not first to board.  Priority boarding is for President's Club, 4 & 5 Star Mariners, Neptune Suites.   

Wheelchairs are available, but do not take you either through security.....and certainly not to your stateroom upon arrival.

The policy in place is to get patrons from outside into a waiting area.  Once inside the terminal, a Waiting List is prepared.

Those who have pre-arranged for a wheelchair (not "reserved" by any means) are checked in and added to that list.

When available, a second wheelchair phase is to transfer guests to the check-in area.

Once checked-in, you will board according to your Boarding Number, which is distributed once you have completed check-in.....and that is subject to your above Mariner Status/Neptune Suite.  Alphabetical cards are given for priority.....numbered cards if not applicable.

A separate seating area is provided after check-in for disabled guests until general boarding has begun.....and you will wait until your letter or number is called in sequence.  Letters are called first, then numbers.  

You will be transferred from a shoreside pusher to onboard one once your conveyance has exited the gangway and you are onboard.  

This is what you should expect in San Diego for embarkation.

You asked about disembarkation as well.  Onboard upon arrival in San Diego, you will be directed to a special area onboard....my experience has been the Ocean Bar.  There you will be taken off according to your debark luggage tag.   Colors and numbers are distributed the day before and help organize and prioritize depending on flights, tours, etc.

Once you have entered the terminal, a shoreside pusher will take over and will assist you in collecting luggage.  You can opt to hire a porter to help with luggage and the two will help you to either your transfer, a taxi, Uber, parking shuttle, or personal pick-up.

As a rule, the longer the cruise, the more requests for wheelchairs.   On occasions there are over 100 such requests, so it it difficult to provide immediate service, but it is done in a fair and considerate fashion.

David