Victoria with Kids?

grsnovi

We've done Alaska three times. We'll be doing it again in the summer of 2019 with our kids and theirs - so we'll have 4 young boys with us ranging in age from 7 to 14. In the past we've done the Orca cruise out in the sound but with the dwindling health of the pod we don't really want to do that with the kids (despite the fact that it would indeed be cool). The kids aren't going to be impressed with high tea at the Empress and I wonder about hauling all the way out to Butchart Gardens. We've booked that in the past only to arrive late and have the excursion cancelled. Any other ideas?

• 2 months later...

For some inexplicable reason kids like the Bug Zoo, good way to pass an hour and eat something disgusting.  Next to Miniature world.  Or, if it's a nice warm/hot day, take a bus, taxi, or whatever and just go off to one of the beaches here if you have one of the longer stops.  Not Hawaii, but a nice way to relax and swim in fairly warm water by mid summer. 

https://visitorinvictoria.ca/gyro-park-victoria-bc/

https://visitorinvictoria.ca/willows-beach-victoria-bc/

Both about 10-20 (traffic dependent) cab ride which makes for a "cheap" excursion.  Just make sure you set an appointed pick up time with the cab company for your return.  If worse comes to worse a 2.50 bus fare per person will get you downtown in about 20 minutes. 

• Like 1

Might be worth checking the Provincial Museum, especially if they have an exhibition running. We took our grandson (3) and 2 neighbour kids (5 & 6) last summer for the Egypt Exhibition and they enjoyed the visit. We were surprised how much the kids could touch or interact with. Trips around the harbour on the water taxis are also fun for kids.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They might also enjoy walking along the path at Ogden Point.  It’s free and easily accessible by walking across the port parking lot.  There’s also a small beach with lots of rocks boys would love to climb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cyncyn's idea of the beach is great.  I'd keeping following the coast Eastward (away from the ship) turn left at the Mile 0 sign which will bring you to Beacon Hill Park.  On a hot day there's a fun spray park at this side of the park, a couple of great playgrounds farther into the park, a petting zoo and pretty good gardens for those who enjoy such things.  From here it's easy to walk into Victoria to check out the museum, the Bug Zoo or whatever else tickles your fancy.

Butchart Gardens is beautiful but my boys (now 13 & 16) have never really enjoyed it.  They would rather go somewhere they can run and horse around to burn off some energy

(I am a local and have a 10 yr old)😀. If you go to beacon hill be sure to get an ice cream from beacon drive in it is just across the street. It has the best soft serve!!! Plain vanilla is best ( many awards for best in city - but I haven’t had better soft serve anywhere else). They also offer chocolate dip and flavour bursts. Petting zoo is always a hit. They close at 4 iirc.  And have a fun “goat stampede” The royal bc museum is great. The harbour ferries are fun- fisherman’s wharf (check out all the houseboats) barbs fish and chips is a staple.  All along the causeway is great often with artisans/ street performers/ musicians or caricature artists etc. Behind the museum there is often a bunch of food trucks during the summer. The walk along Dallas road is pretty. ( will get you to beacon hill) there is also a very tall totem pole (used to be tallest in the world at one point but I think alert bay has taller now) -still very impressive. If you are there later in the evening - my sons favourite restaurant is Japanese village. (Not wheelchair accessible sadly) but they cook in front of you so is entertaining and great food!!! ( cheaper at lunch but no shows) - reservations recommended. If you do head out to Butchart Gardens - butterfly gardens is close by. There is also Shaw discovery centre in Sidney which showcases many Salish sea species (salmon, octopus, jellyfish etc) - but it’s pretty small for the time it takes to go. (Just trying to brainstorm). - feel free to msg me 😀. Clover point -just beyond beacon hill is great for kite flying. Also check tourism Victoria’s website for events. Victoria almost always has festivals and events throughout the summer! You can also check the recreation centres active living guides to see what community special events are happening too😀 -Victoria, esquimalt, Saanich. Are all easily travelled to.