The Upgrade Fairy is Alive and Well!

jamscckmc

Happy New Year and happy travels in 2019 🥳.

i don’t want to be a nay sayer or burst the upgrade fairy bubble but just be very aware when you’re upgraded - take a close look at the deck plans so you know the location of your upgrade and exactly what it is.

Earlier this year we were ‘complimentary’ upgraded for a 14 night cruise on the Sky from our PV3 to a PS3 4 days prior to departing.  We had no notification from Viking, our TA had no notification, I just happened to catch it by going into myvikingjourney.  This was our 12th trip with Viking (river & ocean), so excited until I looked it up on the deck plans, there are 2 handicapped ADA Penthouse Junior Suites and this was one of them. I called Viking and they explained the differences, we said no thank you, too many differences (due to being an ADA cabin there was essentially no separate sitting area with the 2nd tv & sofa, plus a roll in shower with no door) and we weren’t interested so we asked to be out back in our original cabin but it was Saturday and ‘no can do’ as per Viking - that department was closed until Monday.   

Fast forward,  Monday our TA got in touch with Viking and we received an email from Viking stating they had returned us to the original cabin.  Next day flew to Copenhagen, at check in we were given the ‘complimentary’ upgraded cabin and told they would NOT change us to the original, even with the email from Viking dated the previous day that I had printed and brought along.  After nearly 1 hour of sitting in the arrivals area going back & forth with Viking staff, we were finally given the cabin originally booked and all was well.  The issue was still not completely resolved but we were agreeable at that point.

I’m glad that most upgrades are good but just be aware that it’s not always as it appears.  

An aside, we saw quite a few people that could have truly benefited from the upgrade to an ADA cabin - personally I feel most wouldn’t book them as the 2 cabins on the Sky are PS and the cost may be prohibitive.  Just my opinion.

Edited by suspaul

On our recent xmas cruise on the Sky a single lady on her own and on her first cruise had been upgraded to a cabin with a bath - the only cabins I can find with baths are the explorer suites - bit silly if you ask me - no upgrade for us and we were on our eleventh and twelfth cruise for myself and OH - where is the logic in that?

I called Viking with a few questions about my cabin change and the rep I spoke with was especially rude. She had no idea why we received an upgrade. It's our 2nd Viking cruise and I did pay for one upgrade early in my booking, I was thinking that may of had something to do with Vikings decision. 

3 hours ago, peasmith said:

On our recent xmas cruise on the Sky a single lady on her own and on her first cruise had been upgraded to a cabin with a bath - the only cabins I can find with baths are the explorer suites - bit silly if you ask me - no upgrade for us and we were on our eleventh and twelfth cruise for myself and OH - where is the logic in that?

My sister and DH were on the 15 day Beijing to Hong Kong cruise last October on the Orion. They booked a PV1 cabin and when they boarded they found they had been upgraded to an Explorer Suite. This was their first time on a VO cruise  and on the brand new ship, what a deal.

Edited by terrydtx