On Board Tipping

frober262

We have always chosen to tip our table servers and cabin attendants; however, I have heard that some cruise lines have their staff turn these tips in for distribution with the gratuities that are billed to your Sea Card.  Does anyone know if this applies to Celebrity or are the recipients allowed to keep personal tips?

Correct.

if you leave the “auto tip” in place, anything over and above stays with the person you give it to.

it is only when a passenger removes the automatic tips that the servers are supposed to turn the cash they get in, to be added to the tip pool.

this is on Celebrity.  Other lines may do it differently.

I've heard conflicting reports on what happens with extra tips that are given out in ADDITION to the standard tips charged to you daily.   The last employee I asked explained that if I gave him cash in hand he had to share but if I put it in an envelope and wrote his name on it he could keep it.   

The idea of giving an exemplary  employee a tip in thanks of his service and him having to share it with others that either didn't provide as good of service or had not interacted with me rubbed me the wrong way.    I have on some cruises bought something meaningful  as a thank you gift.    

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  We have always left the auto tips in effect, what we try to do is give directly for superior service.  We realize that there are many "hotel" staff, that we never see or interact with, who contribute immeasurably to our enjoyment of the cruise.

Edited by frober262
word missing

We leave them in place and tip extra but we’ve seen a real mixture, I.e martini bar puts it in a ton to share, dining put it in their picket but could easily be instructed to turn it in. It’s never clear cut but we work on the basis of giving it to who we expected and if they have to share then they get a share of others too.