Mediterranean Odyssey 11/15 - Cool Weather cruising

blmjcs

Hi All,

I am looking for cool weather clothing tips.  The weather will probably be in the 50's & 60's for the trip & I imagine this time of year we will have rain.   Do y'all take along rain boots?  Any ideas for "smart dressing" in the rain?  I am putting together what I want to take now and plan on layering.  How dressy is it on the Viking Ships for dinner?  I have read dressy to Lands End type attire for dinner it looks like mostly it depends on personal choice.  Thanks in advance for your ideas!  

When I travel to cool/wet places (many of my trips, actually, since we prefer to travel Oct-Jan) I definitely bring goretex walking shoes. Not "rain boots" though I do have ankle boots and knee boots (soft leather that packs easily, not a stiff riding boot style) if that's the style choice I make for the trip. If temps are 60-70s I don't like boots - heck, I don't even want to wear socks if it's that warm 😉 I have a rain coat I like for travel that is closer to a trench style (still goretex) in black so it's not as sporty as my lime green goretex raincoat I wear at home.

What ports are you going to?  Although November can be rainier in the Med, in general you will have a variety of temperatures and weather conditions -- in other words, it's unlikely that you're going to face day-long rain in all your ports.

I've cruised in October and November in the Med about 6-7 times and never needed rain boots. I do take two pairs of walking shoes, just on the chance that one pair would get soaked. 

Layering is really important in terms of clothing ashore -- you might have cool weather in the morning, fairly warm by early afternoon and cooling off again at night. I bring an assortment of t-shirts, a cardigan or two, a fleece jacket and a rain jacket that can layer on top of the fleece. (Together, the two of these keep me pretty warm.) . I also throw in a pair of long silk underwear to keep my legs warm, if needed. 

Overall, the weather I've experienced has been a bit warmer than expected on most cruises and out of all of them I've only had about two really rainy days.

As for onboard, can't help you there -- haven't sailed with Viking.

I haven't cruised Viking (ocean or river) but did sail Azamara, which has a "country club casual" dress code that looks similar to Viking's. I wore sundresses or black pants with a light sweater. Which is sort of what I wore during a lot of the days as well 😉 Well, more dresses - it was HOT & HUMID for most of our Asia trip. You should check the weather for your ports before you pack and do the best you can - planning on layers as noted above.

Viking’s dress code can be found on their website. Basically, it’s business casual, or whatever your interpretation of that is.  On our Viking Homelands cruise, I wore slacks and a nice top every night, which seemed to be the norm. I didn’t see anyone dressed up. A few of the men wore a sport coat, but most did not.