Genoa Info

Giantfan13

We will be arriving Genoa on Wednesday Dec 5 from 8-5 on the MSC Sinfonia. Since roll calls for most MSC crusies originating in Europe have basically no response, we are looking for some info on how to see this city?

We really aren't museum people so we were wondering what should we see or do in this port? We were looking at maybe a trip to Milan, but it does seem far for a short period of time.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Our budget isn't what it used to be, so usually private tours et al are out. We don't mind doing things on our own, or joining a tour, but we are looking for suggestions.

Cheers

Len

It is an easy city to walk on your own.  Take  a right out of the port building and the main piazza is not even 10 min away.  Directly across from the piazza is the old town, with many classic narrow roads and hidden piazzas.  I'm guessing Rick Steves has got to have a walking plan for Genoa.  I'll admit Genoa was my least favorite stop on our MSC cruise, but it would be good for poking around small shops and sampling local food.

There were also several big bus tour companies right outside the port looking for customers.

When we were there a few years ago, I used the Hop On Hop Off bus to get around and got off at several stops to explore on foot.  One of the stops is near Christopher Columbus' home (extremely modest); I don't believe it's open to the public, though.  The downtown is a bit "gritty", but there is an area not far from the port (and early on the HOHO route) with beautiful pastel buildings with white trim.  That was the other area I got off in.