Disembarking in Venice?

Don't we tender in Venice? How will this work with our luggage when we disembark? We have a midday flight back to the States.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Alaska 5/8/2004 Diamond Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;6;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until Millenium 9/6/2004 to Europe!

We were on the Millie this past August, embarking in Venice--the ship pulls right up to the dock...

With all of the luggage handling and loading/unloading a ship does at the beginning or end of a cruise, it would really be difficult to handle that through tenders!!!

I don't think I've ever seen a major cruise ship begin or end a cruise with a tender port...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=07>

<param name="day" value=03>

<param name="hour" value=09>

<param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

Thanks Steve, I figured that, but had read somewhere else about tendering. I agree it would almost be an impossibility with a ship that size. Are you going to Europe again?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;6;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Your ship will dock in Venice and if you buy a transfer from the ship line from the ship to the airport they will handle getting your luggage to the airport for you. You will board a bus at the port and be dropped off in front of the Venice airport, the Marco Polo, and you will find your luggage waiting for you on the ground in front of the airport. There are carts you can rent to haul it in, be sure to keep some 1 and 2 euro coins for the machines. Then you will need to find the desk for your airline and checkin your luggage and you will be on your way.

Hope this helps.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

What super advice - thanks! I guess it will be fun trying to find the Delta counter in a European airport.

Thanks for the compliment. If you are interested in doing some research on your visit to Venice check out the web site below. It has all kind of information and one of the best set of links to a variety of additional information on Venice.

As far as the Delta counter I don't recall seeing it. We were on Lufthansa/United both coming and going. The airport isn't huge and I think all the outgoing activity is on the level you will be entering.

Anyway here is the link I was talking about. There is a link in the transportation section that takes you to the airport site.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Have a great cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zebra:

Thanks Steve... Are you going to Europe again?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes, but not this year...We're doing Alaska this July...

But "on our list" is to do the Constellation itinerary that goes to Britain and Norway...Maybe 2005...

And, we'll repeat the Baltic and the Mediterranean, probably in a few years...if we survive having two daughters in college for the next few!!

As to Delta at Marco Polo, we embarked there rather than disembarked, so I can't be sure...BUT, our Delta flight was noted as a Delta/Italia venture...So, I'm imagining that it may have docked at an Italia gate...

You may want to check if your flight has a "partner" airline (probably Italia) sponsoring it...that would key you to the Italia desk...

Good luck...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Thanks Steve,

Gosh I can identify... we had 3 daughters...the baby (24) got married last year and we are now free to spend our money on travel!!

I didn't think of that .... Delta will probably be code shared with another airline, I'll look into it.

• 4 years later...
Your ship will dock in Venice and if you buy a transfer from the ship line from the ship to the airport they will handle getting your luggage to the airport for you. You will board a bus at the port and be dropped off in front of the Venice airport, the Marco Polo, and you will find your luggage waiting for you on the ground in front of the airport. There are carts you can rent to haul it in, be sure to keep some 1 and 2 euro coins for the machines. Then you will need to find the desk for your airline and checkin your luggage and you will be on your way.quote]

How much is the transfer from the ship? We will be disembarkating from the Ruby Princess.

We ahve never flown out of Venice yet but have been looking at Med Cruises and I did find the Marco Polo Airport Layout Web Sitehttp://www.veniceairport.it/core/index.jsp;jsessionid=DAAFGXSWUSUYXQFIAIBCFEY?_requestid=255047

To the upper left is a menu box, click Info voli, then Destination and it will bring up a layout. From there you can take a tour of the differant areas once you click on each level

Is there anyway to get your luggage from the ship to the airport and then have the luggage stored till the next day without physically being there? We are staying an extra night in Venice and hate to lug all that luggage around with us?:confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I believe they did have a baggage check area at Marco Polo airport. There is also another thread about this with directions on storing your luggage at the train station in town.

Can't believe we have revived a FIVE year old thread!

ALso, the airport is quite small and very easy to get around. Remember that the population of Venice proper is only about 50,000--with of course a lot more foks in the outlying areas. But we found it quite simple to navigate.

Cathy

Folks,

Hotels in Venice relates to where you will hotel and when your flight departs from Marco Polo. Also, logistics depends on the day (of the week) as transport between cruise port and P. Roma may be available as is bus and taxi transport from the airport.

Good luck,

David

Archived