Sugar Free

Lindylooj

Does anyone know if there is a range of sugar free meals I can have.  I think they do smoothies for breakfast and wonder if they are made from syrup or fruit.  I will ask anyhow.  Just wondered if anyone else has managed a sugar free diet whilst on board.

There is usually some sugar free ice cream available most nights and you can ask for the diabetic menu but according to my OH (Jenny) it is not very good so she manages as best she can, testing her blood regularly to find out what affects her and what does not. If you are not diabetic but just avoiding sugar for dietary reasons then it is not easy on P&O. It seems that sugar free is not popular these days whereas gluten free etc seem to be always offered.

Peter and Jenny

You should let P&O know your requirements in advance, especially if they are medical e.g Diabetes. You will be offered the opportunity the night before to order the dishes you require for the next day prepared without sugar. If you choose to order as normal, be aware that sugar is used in many dishes where you would not normally expect it, especially sauces etc. Remember, some sugar substitutes can cause problems if you have too much. Quality of sugar free dishes does vary and some really are not nice, others are OK

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lindylooj said:

Does anyone know if there is a range of sugar free meals I can have.  I think they do smoothies for breakfast and wonder if they are made from syrup or fruit.  I will ask anyhow.  Just wondered if anyone else has managed a sugar free diet whilst on board.

Is it a choice? Or diabetes?

Smoothies are CHOC full of sugar whether made from fruit or syrup.  The fact that fruit juice is consumed quickly, without chewing, puts too much sugar into your body all at once. Eating a piece of fruit slows that process down, and the chewing kicks your metabolism into gear to deal with it.

The biggest culprits for sugar are breads and cereals......all sugar and very little goodness. (If diabetic, avoiding all refined carbs would cure the disease.)

Sugar free diets are easy and do not have to be 'Special'.  Just avoid anything with refined carbohydrates.   Obviously, things like carrots have sugar in them (carbohydrates) but they are fine.

Me and my partner generally have a refined carbs free diet (no sugars) and stick to meat, veggies, salads, eggs, fish, cheeses, etc. Most meals dont contain extra sugar and potatoes and rice are fine in small portions.

We follow a Paleo diet for the most part, so nothing processed or refined in any way. 

Hope that helps a little.