I mean honestly how much do you people drink?

flagger

Enough already!

Bar bills are personal matters - unless you are asked to pick up the tab - it's best to keep your nose out of someone's financial affairs.

Enough said!

Eileen icon_rolleyes.gif

Century, Western Caribbean, 01/02/05

Constellation, Scandinavia & Russia, 07/02/05

Thompson Cruises and My Travel/Sunquest who both operate out of the UK. The both have all inclusive drinks packages. My neighbour has just come back off the Sunbird and paid £90 ($162) for the week.

Eileen, I agree it is nobody else's business...I guess the original poster wanted to know though icon_wink.gif...Read the title...

I mean honestly.....

And then he prefaced his first paragraph that he wasn't judging any of us.....I think, sadly, we all judge each other (at least a little bit) Now, if we would worry about ourselves as much as we want to know about other people's drinking habits we would probably be better off.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Post D-Day, some people take their lead from the immortal former Lord of the Admiralty Sir Winston Churchill - who began with Sherry at breakfast, Claret at lunch, G&T in the afternoon, more Claret for dinner, then port, then brandy... For God's Sake Man - cruising is nostalgic! icon_biggrin.gif

When confronted by a right and proper Lady of the Crown at a late evening social function she exclaimed, "YOU Sir are nothing but a Drunk!"

To which Churchill replied without hestitation,

"Yes, Madam, but in the morning I shall be sober, and You shall Still be Ugly!" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hail Britannia!! Britannia Rules the Waves...

I see people drinking at the pool before it's even lunch time. So I guess these are the people spending all that money on booze. We never come anywhere near that and we always have drinks at Happy Hour (5:00 PM), then Martini Bar before dinner, then a bottle of wine with dinner and then after dinner drinks. As for the prices on the cruise line being expensive. I don't know where y'all live, but I went out Friday night and I spent $22 on two coors lite and 2 Malibu Bay Breezes (the drinks had a ton of ice in them and weren't particularly strong). I think I get a better deal on the cruise.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;14;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Celebrity Zenith - NYC to Bermuda

Premier Big Red Boat II – 7 Night New York to Canada/New England, August 2000

Regal Empress – 5 Night New York to Canada/New England, August 2001

Celebrity Millennium – 10 Night Southern Caribbean, August 2002

Celebrity Millennium – 13 Night Mediterranean, August 2003

Celebrity Infinity –7 Night Eastern Caribbean, April 2004

Celebrity Zenith – 7 Night New York to Bermuda, August 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Happy ks:

jschutz, That makes more sense. I still don't understand why a person needs to question something that is really none of their business.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you post it on a board it's apt to be questioned...if I don't want to open myself up for discussion why would I consider posting it?? There is no eaves dropping here...

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

$2,000 is like $200 to some of you...it's all relative! (And I wish they were MY relative....lol!!) icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

<a href="mailto:PrincessOfQAL1@aol.com"> Click here to email me

<a href="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/princessofqal1">Celebrity Century pics

Don't worry Flagger,

All hail the $2K a week cruiser, they're keeping the fares down for the rest of us!icon_smile.gif

$2K a week for hooch is way over the top unless you're picking up the tab for a group (and we KNOW you won't succumb to that!) or otherwise strickly a drinker of $100+ bottles of wine.

In fact, half that ($1k) would be a "party hardy" cruise, and that comes from a leathery livered one (just ask Newt!).

But a lot of cruisers are older and paying the way of adult children with spouses, so I'm sure that individuals are often laying out $2k per cruise if not consuming it individually.

I'll have to agree with a previous poster - if you bring up a subject on this board, it will get discussed and dissected. If one does not want their lifestyle commented upon, one does not post.

I can see one racking up enormous drink bills - the drinks are small, the prices are high - when one adds wine at dinner - a bill of $1,000 or more is not out of line - especially when one is a generous sort who buys for others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jay & eileen:

Enough already!

Bar bills are personal matters - unless you are asked to pick up the tab - it's best to keep your nose out of someone's financial affairs.

Enough said!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As in tipping, however when one brings up how much they spend on libations aboard a weeklong or more cruise, then someone, in this case me, wants to know how someone does that.

And something is not enough said, just because you say so either!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G_Man:

...it's the outrageous prices that are charged for booze on the ship. Gouging is an appropriate word.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, I am not exactly a big drinker at home...but, I have ordered a drink or two in a restaurant or two in Greater SoCal...and I have NEVER noticed any ship's drink prices to be out of line with what I pay for a drink in a respectable bar/restaurant where I live...

To be honest, ALL drink prices in bars and restaurants are fairly high in relation to the restauranteur's cost...it's a high profit margin sale--wherever you go...Soft drinks are an even higher profit margin item with a few cents food cost worth of soda often selling in restaurants nowadays for as much as $2.95 a glass--of course, they give you "free refills" as if you haven't already more than paid for the refills...

But face it...that $9.50 glass of Cabernet Sauvignon (whether it be at a land restaurant or on the ship), is coming 5-6 glasses worth out of a bottle they'd sell you for $40...but can be found back home at the Costco for $7.50 a bottle...It's just the way things work and how they have always worked...

What you are paying for, in some fashion or another, is the use of their glasses, napkins, etc., the salaries and benefits of the bartender, the waiter, the dishwasher, the entertainment, the rent and overhead and a decent profit to the restauranteur (who is in business after all)...On the ship, it's going toward a lot of the same things, except maybe the cost and upkeep of the ship rather than rent per se...And it is how the cruise lines make a profit while still holding the line on offering you an enticing price on the cruise itself...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Constellation, July 16, 2005: Northern Europe: 14 nights

Hi Lios. icon_smile.gif

Yes, I had a good time on my first cruise.

I loved the Zenith. Food and service was

second to none. Weather was almost perfect

(the only glitch in the weather was a high

surf day in Bermuda that limited the ship-

wreck snorkel tour). When you get to St.

George, if you are looking for a good

excursion, I recommend the ultimate water

tour. Nick is a very entertaining guide.

I'm sure you'll love Bermuda. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm French! Why do you think

I have this outrageous accent

you silly king!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dorothy:

We are leaving on Mercury next week and I wanted to bring some champagne onboard. Another thread said there are new rules and we aren't supposed to bring our own liquor onboard. But, I am also reading that people are still bringing their own and getting away with it. I know the price of what it would cost onboard and the price is usually double. We have two special occasions, our wedding anniversary and also my daughter doesn't know it yet, but her boyfriend will be popping the question, so we would like to be able to celebrate with champagne that evening too. I'll do what you all tell me. Bring champagne or don't bring champagne??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dorothy - We just got off the Summit at the end of May. We took one bottle of champagne with us. We had received it as a gift and it was a very nice bottle and we wanted to drink it in the Normandie. We packed it in our checked baggage (because it was in a box and I didn't think it would break). No one ever said a word, we brought it to the Normandie, and they charged us the $15 corkage fee. No questions asked. We also brought a couple of bottles of vodka to consume in our room and no one said anything about those either. Our steward even cleaned out the mini-fridge at our request. We ended up not drinking it but that's not the point. Anyway, no one is going to say a thing about your one bottle of champagne for a special occasion. That is absolutely fine! Have a great trip and congratulations to your daughter!

Cheers,

Carol

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;01;15;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation - Jan 15 2005 - Southern Caribbean

Summit - May 7 2004 - S. America Panama Canal

I drink more than some people, and (thankfully for my liver) I drink less than others. I've been on cruises with $200. bar bills and cruises with $2,000. bar bills. I did a cruise with out drinking at all and had a wonderful time. It was mostly a function of whether or not I signed more checks at the end of the night, and whether I bought all the wine at both lunch and dinner(me being generous with friends), or none (generous friends icon_smile.gif). The 2 K WAS on a 17 day trip, and we threw several cocktail parties, both in-stateroom and in lounges. I had a great time, glad I met all the wonderful people I did. I actually don't take offense that someone would question that amount, and am glad, with no apologies for my decision to spend money on entertaining, to explain to those who wondered. For some, it's the sign of a sucessful cruise if they've "partied a lot." For others, it's a true point of pride that their statement at the end of the cruise is minimal. For me, it was fun when I did it, and, at the time, I had the money AND the inclination. (Sorry to dissapoint all of you on the Constellation Trans., but I can't do it quite the same way anymore- you pass forty, and it's not just your liver you worry about, but your retirement accounts and medical bills, and a host of other fun things. icon_wink.gif) All that to say, to each his own, and embrace that fact for yourselves and those you meet. Cheers! (and I don't mean that with any sarcasm.)

Blazer Boy

GardenCat:

We usually sit at a table for two - but will make an exception for you. Or, will just meet in the Martini Bar icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gardencat:

jshutz

Can I sit at your table next cruise?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

03/03 Carnival Spirit/Panama Canal/17 days

03/04 Norweigan Dream Transatlantic/Europe/17 nights

07/03 Celebrity/ Century/Caribbean/7 nights

09/17 Celebrity Summit/Alaska/14 nights

12/27 Celebrity Mercury/Mexico/10 nights

Archived