Major Marine 5 hr vs 6 hr tour

thegoaliegirl

Looking for feedback on the 5 hour vs the 6 hr Major Marine Kenai cruises. Traveling with younger kids (5 and 8 ) and at least one person who is prone to being sea sick. Based on all of that, I'm leaning towards the 5 hour one as it looks like it is protected waters, so less chance of being sea sick. Our goal is to see a glacier closer up and to hopefully see a bunch of wildlife. 

Every time we are in Seward we make sure that we schedule a Major Marine Kenai Fjord tour.  Our preference is to do the longest tour available on the date we are there (we like the 7.5 hour ones).  We also find it worthwhile to purchase the meals.

Without looking at the current offerings by Major Marine, at least in the past, their 6 hour tour has been on one of their catamarans (they have a variety of boats), and since one of your party is prone to seasickness a more stable catamaran would be ideal.  Folks will have different experiences, but our experience has been that the best wildlife viewing has tended to be outside of Resurrection Bay.  Also, the NPS rangers offer a great Junior Ranger program, which may be of interest to the kids, so a tour which offers that program might be another consideration in your choice of tours.

If you want to see glaciers and wildlife you have to get out of Resurrection Bay.  I think both these tours do, but double check as there is a Resurrection Bay only cruise.  There is a spot after you leave the bay that can be very rough, but the tour is usually shortened to the bay only or cancelled if it is too bad.

We did the 6 hour tour this past June.  My husband (57 years old) has never been seasick in his life - until this cruise. So many people were seasick.  The crew was incredibly compassionate and helpful - we were very impressed.  I'd call Major Marine and ask if you book a longer one and conditions aren't ideal that day if you can change to the shorter one.  For our trip they said it would be rough in the open water, but not enough for the trip to be cancelled.

I recommend everyone take meds before you board even if you've never been seasick before.

All that aside, it was a great trip, although we didn't see any whales.  The glacier was the highlight!

ETA: On 'Cyber Monday" last year they offered 40% off, so check their website and facebook page around Thanksgiving.  The savings was fantastic!

Edited by Bearvet
  • Like 1