Is a passport card sufficient?

BENHANDEL

well sparks1093,  mine was green also lol. but there were no computers with info dripping from them.  The had to verify everything. I wasnt worried so much about getting in,  just how much time it takes,  But the law basically says , coming into the country you must prove you have that right. Visas for foreigners or proof of american birth.  

Edited by mredandchis
forgot to quoute

1 hour ago, mredandchis said:

well sparks1093,  mine was green also lol. but there were no computers with info dripping from them.  The had to verify everything. I wasnt worried so much about getting in,  just how much time it takes,  But the law basically says , coming into the country you must prove you have that right. Visas for foreigners or proof of american birth.  

I misunderstood your post then, I thought you said you had a red card (which back in the day indicated reserves). I re-entered the country countless times with just my military ID and never faced any type of delay, also back in the day before computers. 

13 hours ago, Chervil said:

Oh, I understand that you  can use the passport card for domestic flights if your DL isn't compliant.
I was simply pointing out how strict security has become in the US as far as identification goes.

I'm old enough to remember a time you didn't even need an ID to fly domestically!

Yes, they do have more scrutiny now but they still need to have procedures in place for the things we all know happen (and at the same time we could cross the border from Canada and Mexico with a verbal declaration of citizenship). Documents get lost or stolen and people have to leave cruises mid-cruise. It's not like we're reading lots of stories about folks having to take up residence on some foreign island because they don't have the documents to fly home. Yes, it will involve more time and hassle and if someone is worried about that then they should of course get a passport but as long as they are willing to accept the consequences IF something happens then it's their call.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I misunderstood your post then, I thought you said you had a red card (which back in the day indicated reserves). I re-entered the country countless times with just my military ID and never faced any type of delay, also back in the day before computers. 

naw, red passports,  back in the day goverment issue.  For me in all my travelling the hardest thing crossing borders has always been coming back into the US.   I have been on 2 cruises that customs pulled me aside and one of them they searched me.  And i always have followed the laws.