Questions for my Aussie mates ..

Little Monty

All this talk of the change in payment arrangements (ie 12 months before sailing) got me thinking about insurance.

As an aside, the 12-month payment rule does not apply in Australia - not yet anyway. We booked and paid a deposit yesterday for a November 2020 cruise and no further payment is due till July 2020 (when payment in full is required). Nevertheless we have 3 other future cruises booked and our NZ cruise next month is obviously already paid in full. I checked our travel insurance document (3rd party) and now realise it does not cover bankruptcy / insolvency of travel providers (including cruise lines).

I have searched various other policies and they are the same. Some provide limited cover ($5,000 per person max or $12,000 per family). I have also read various blogs on the issue. Bottom line .. we Aussies do not seem to be able to get full cover for the insolvency / bankruptcy of a travel provider. 

There are suggestions payment made by credit credit card might give cover as you could claim you had paid for a service which was not received (ie if a travel provider becomes insolvent

after payment but before cruise) but that seems unlikely and would no doubt be tightly time limited.

Am I correct in my understanding of insurance cover for this ?

Are there policies available in Australia which do cover this risk ?

What do fellow Aussies do for insurance cover ?

Cheers