Cheers Package and turning 21 the day after we sail....

Cruise_PRN__

On 11/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I remember seeing several times that as far as the ship is concerned, you remain the age you are on boarding day for the remainder of the cruise.  I hope I am wrong (perhaps this is the rule on another cruise line).

13 hours ago, simplelife said:

That is my understanding also. Age is the age at time of embarkation.

Several people have posted that this is not the case when it comes to the legal drinking age.  It is probably true for all other age-related cut-offs (age of children for Camp Carnival, for excursions, etc), which are solely the discretion of Carnival, but it is apparently not true for consumption of alcohol (where Carnival has chosen to follow US law).

So unless you have witnessed someone who turned 21 while on board being denied alcohol because they were 20 when they boarded, please don't be so certain.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, bonstersd said:

I would seriously consider just paying as he goes.  I don't know how much a 21 year old can drink and maybe having 15 drinks available per day is too much for a "newbie" drinker.   If there is any problem with his ordering a drink after he turns 21, just go to guest services and they should be able to handle it for you.  I do, however, believe that you have until the second day to buy the cheers package and the drinks you ordered and paid for the day before get zeroed out.  Good luck and happy birthday!

I hear what you are saying as it seems like a lot for someones 21st birthday. I personally dont think its teaching to drink responsibly but if mom wants this he probably already drinks like a lot of young people. To each his own.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:37 AM, Herbaltees said:

I was going to say this same thing. Not judging your parenting, but I would think that a newbie to drinking  wouldn't be able to get the benefit of the cheers package anyway.

As far as the birthday thing, you can go to Guest Services and have them update the card as 21. This is similar to the kids camp, where if you're within 6 months of the next age they let you move up to the next camp.

Good Luck and have fun.

On 11/9/2018 at 2:54 AM, SadieN said:

Taking a different tack.

Cheers would be good for him.  It'll allow him to try many different drinks without the guilt if he doesn't like a few of them.

I agree with SadieN.  OP son may or may not be a newbie to drinking (shocker - some do drink underage), but this is one instance where I think Cheers might be a good purchase.

It sounds like this is a short cruise, so only paying for 3 or 4 days vs. 7.  Assuming new to drinking and very low tolerance, it still only takes about 6 alcohol based drinks per day to break even and add in bottled water to alternate/stay hydrated (convenient if you already have Cheers) plus a specialty coffee/soft drink/milkshake and it doesn't take much to come out ahead.

I usually advise against Cheers and wouldn't see it working for me (rarely have more than 5 drinks per day on a cruise), but on a 4 day I'd consider getting it and tasting my way through the menu 🙂 There is definitely more freedom to not finish the drink if you don't like it on Cheers vs. a la carte.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, shdixon said:

I hear what you are saying as it seems like a lot for someones 21st birthday. I personally dont think its teaching to drink responsibly but if mom wants this he probably already drinks like a lot of young people. To each his own.

6-10 drinks per day (even 15) over a 10 hour spread, when you know there is no chance you will be driving or operating heavy machinery does not necessarily seem like irresponsible drinking.

Drinking all day but spread out over the whole day, while family is there to help you if you do have a bad reaction to alcohol, is a very different thing than binge drinking that can occur at college or "friends" taking you out and having those same 6-10 drinks in 2 hours.

22 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I agree with SadieN.  OP son may or may not be a newbie to drinking (shocker - some do drink underage), but this is one instance where I think Cheers might be a good purchase.

It sounds like this is a short cruise, so only paying for 3 or 4 days vs. 7.  Assuming new to drinking and very low tolerance, it still only takes about 6 alcohol based drinks per day to break even and add in bottled water to alternate/stay hydrated (convenient if you already have Cheers) plus a specialty coffee/soft drink/milkshake and it doesn't take much to come out ahead.

I usually advise against Cheers and wouldn't see it working for me (rarely have more than 5 drinks per day on a cruise), but on a 4 day I'd consider getting it and tasting my way through the menu 🙂 There is definitely more freedom to not finish the drink if you don't like it on Cheers vs. a la carte.

Sadie N and you make a good point. I didn't think about the ability to try different things and not feel guilty if you don't like it.

• Thanks 1