Virginia to Port Everglades help needed

Fivelinks

*** I just realized how old this thread is****

I love Savannah, GA and it's beautiful. Since it seems you'll have time to explore....Spooky Ghost tours and trolley rides. Lots of great places to eat. Historic Savannah is about 25 minutes from the exit off 95.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I love Savannah, GA and it's beautiful. Since it seems you'll have time to explore....Spooky Ghost tours and trolley rides. Lots of great places to eat. Historic Savannah is about 25 minutes from the exit off 95.

Not that far, unless there is rush hour traffic or an accident.  I-95 is exit 157 on I-16, and I-16 ends in downtown Savannah at exit 167.  EM

• Like 2

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sounds like you plan to spend the night before boarding in FL - I would suggest you make day one long and hard - to St. Augustine - giving you an easy  290 miles and 4 hours the second day.

Stay in St. Augustine. Have breakfast and see the sights. The next night I would stay in the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale area. Just a short drive to the port, no worries about unforeseen delays. I lived in central Florida and got caught up in many a long traffic delay especially on I-95 which seems to be an accident magnet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skrufy said:

Stay in St. Augustine. Have breakfast and see the sights. The next night I would stay in the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale area. Just a short drive to the port, no worries about unforeseen delays. I lived in central Florida and got caught up in many a long traffic delay especially on I-95 which seems to be an accident magnet.

Exactly - St. Augustine is a lovely old city. The fort and the cathedral alone are worth a few hours.  And, you are close enough to FL that even if traffic is awful it will be less than 6 hours.  It strikes me as always best to get the long hard drive done first so you have an easy second day - plus the time to make up for delays.  It does not make sense to plan for two days of close to 500 miles each back to back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Agreed - but it is too far north to permit an easy next day drive to FL.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed - but it is too far north to permit an easy next day drive to FL.

Totally agree.  This is a drive I would do in three days.  Two nights on the road.  If you have two or more drivers, it might be doable.  EM

• Like 1

I did not clarify, I am so sorry.  We plan to head out early Thursday morning, spend overnight somewhere, then get to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday and spend the night at Hampton Inn Plantation.  We got a very good package price, leaving car there, free shuttle to port and breakfast. 

So DH does want to have the majority of the driving done on Thursday, with an easier drive on Friday to get to Hampton Inn without being totally worn out.  

We will both drive, him most of it, but he likes driving.  I like driving, too, but when he starts picking and telling me what to do, I stop and make him drive again!  😉

Thanks so much for your input, St. Augustine seems like a good location to stop.  And whoever suggested using the Travel Coupon magazines they found along with way, helped a lot last time.  I even downloaded the APP.