Nieuw Amsterdam questions

cole'snana

35 minutes ago, cole'snana said:

Where does Nieuw Amsterdam dock in St Thomas, Havensight (spelling?) or Crown Bay?

Is there a way to print out airplane boarding passes on the ship?

Any good tips about this ship? We're doing St Thomas, Grand Turk, and Puerto Rico.

Nieuw A has been docking at the West India Company Lt. commonly known as WICO dock which is adjacent the Havensight shopping area

You picked a very lovely ship and will have the opportunity to try the Tamarind pan-asian restaurant (surcharge)  which is a very popular choice.  Yes, you will be able to arrange printing your boarding passes while on the ship - talk to the Front Office about this.  

Grand Turk is a very low key port stop - meaning there is very little tourism infrastructure but has a very wild beauty to it.  Nice to get away from all the crowds on this island, though there is a developed port recreation area where you dock. If you like to walk you can cover a lot of ground from the dock in Puerto Rico if you want to plan a do-it-yourself visit using all precautions when venturing out in any Caribbean city on your own. . St Thomas is a very crowded and a very commercial stop - you may be better off arranging a ship's shore excursion at this port  and not get caught up in the various hassles about where it ends up actually docking on your chosen port date.

I sailed on the Eurodam (sister ship, in the same HAL category as NA) last winter with similar itinerary. 

We docked at Havensight. Though, I am certain it all will depend what other ships are calling on port that day as well. I was able to search online a week or so before leaving to find what piers were being used and what other ships would be at each stop to get an idea of how many other people would be touring and to figure out some private tour logistics.

St. Thomas- we did a snorkel excursion through HAL and loved it. Walked from Eurodam to the catamaran, only on the tour with other HAL guests. Swam and snorkeled a few sites, and did a cruise around the harbor. Snacks and drinks included. Clean equipment, friendly service. Would recommend.

Grand Turk- we only did two things there- when you exit onto the island, you are in a shopping center, to your left is Margaritaville, which has a large resort pool, free to use. We spent time there and had a drink and a swim. Then we went to the free public beach in front of the ship. The chairs in the front are free (people will try to sell you access, but most are free. Ask fellow passengers, its a common port, so they will know) 

San Juan- I haven't cruised here, but have vacationed here. It is very hill-y. Think San Francisco hills. You can easily do your own tour, but I'd suggest some transportation (taxi or bus or tour with van) especially if visiting the fort, which is uphill from the dock. 

Let me know if you have specific questions, I can try to help answer. 

• 2 months later...

There was a free hop on hop off trolley in Old San Juan last time we were there, that we took up to the fort where we toured.  Then we slowly walked back to ship stopping at places of interest along the way and also had a delicious lunch at the restaurant they invented pina coladas at (had a couple to make sure they were the real thing 🙂. )

When in San Juan, beware the dreaded mofongo.

Is there anyone who tried this almost national Puerto Rican dish and liked it?  It sounded so good, and was so perfectly awful. We apparently had ours at the best place int own. 

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

When in San Juan, beware the dreaded mofongo.

Is there anyone who tried this almost national Puerto Rican dish and liked it?  It sounded so good, and was so perfectly awful. We apparently had ours at the best place int own. 

We just had it on a Christmas cruise foodie tour in San Juan and found it quite good. As always, personal tastes differ so what one person likes, another one might not. Or it might have helped that we made our own mojitos first and then mashed the mofongo with lots of garlic and olive oil ourselves before having the chicken mixture ladled on top.

Edited by oceanmom