Limited time in Rome, what to do?

kittinfeld1966

We have 10 hrs in Civitavecchia and have booked a private tour of Rome through Joe Banana Limos.  They offer the option of booking a three hour tour of the Vatican museums, and also offer skip the line tickets to the Colosseum.  They warn that the wait times can be long at the Colosseum even with a ticket, given the new security measures.  The tour includes stops at several other points of interest, time permitting.  Given the short time we have to spend, I am leaning towards skipping the Vatican.  My family loves museums, but I am not sure if it is the best use of time?  An alternative would be to book skip the line tickets to the museums and St. Peter's and do it on our own (to shave off some time). I would like to see the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's from the inside.   I guess I am just having a hard time accepting the fact that I can't see it all!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You answered your own question (you cannot see it all).  So you must prioritize and make choices.  My first trip to Rome was about 35 years ago on a cruise...so we still remember the frustration (not just about Rome but about Italy).  Since then we have spend many months in Italy and driven more than 10,000 miles around the country!   So my simple answer is pick and choose and come back to Italy on another trip.  But make it a trip where you spend several weeks within Italy (a rental car is a must to truly see the country).  Med cruises are fun (we are doing another one later next year) but  they only serve to whet one's appetite to spend some land time in Europe.   The reality is that if you want to truly see Italy or other parts of Europe you need to spend significant time on the continent...not on the sea.

Hank

P.S.  Even after spending lots of time in Italy, we still have not even begun to uncover the many charms of the country.  That is why we continue to return.  On a cruise you can only hope to scratch the scratch of the surface.

As you say, it's not possible to do everything. Think about what things really interest you, or the 1-2 things you always thought you'd see when visiting Rome.  If it's the ancient Roman sites -- the Forum, the Colosseum, then I'd probably skip the Vatican. On the other hand, if it's the Vatican, then spend the larger part of your time there.

The only way to see the Sistine chapel is through the museums and it does take a long time, even if you go on your own and make a beeline for the chapel. The museum is so crowded that often you are forced to 'go with the flow' of the crowd, which may be pretty slow.

On the positive side, you CAN see the interior of St. Peter's if you want -- there is no ticket but there is a security line, the length of which varies -- however, it generally tends to move at a good clip. So if you wanted to try to do St. Peters (perhaps in the morning), then maybe the Pantheon and/or Trevi Fountain around noon and grab a quick bite, then get to the Colosseum after 2pm (purchasing your timed ticket online before you go), you might be able to manage it, with a driver. 

Are there other places they have suggested or that you had in mind?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You answered your own question (you cannot see it all).  So you must prioritize and make choices.  My first trip to Rome was about 35 years ago on a cruise...so we still remember the frustration (not just about Rome but about Italy).  Since then we have spend many months in Italy and driven more than 10,000 miles around the country!   So my simple answer is pick and choose and come back to Italy on another trip.

Sound advice!  I think I will skip the museums this time around and just explore the city for the day.  My Hubby really wants to see the Colosseum so we will hit that for sure.  Thanks for your help Hank.

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The only way to see the Sistine chapel is through the museums and it does take a long time, even if you go on your own and make a beeline for the chapel. The museum is so crowded that often you are forced to 'go with the flow' of the crowd, which may be pretty slow.

This made me laugh because I saw a picture someone had just posted of their visit to the museums and the crowds were insane ( in November!)  and I joked to my husband that even if we just do a "drive by" of the Sistine Chapel (ala  the movie vacation when they stop at the Grand Canyon for 2 seconds) we will still need two hours to push our way through the crowd.  I think we will skip it this time around.  Thanks Cruisemom42