Procedure for wine in Tampa

rucingok

We will be sailing on the Miracle in December and it is our first time on Carnival and at port of Tampa.  We have previously been on RCCL.  We have 2 cabins so plan on taking 4 bottles of wine.  I would like to wrap it up in (maybe) our beach towels or something when putting it in our carry ons. I also have a wine carry-all I could use.  Should I pack one per person or can I pack 2 bottles together?  Do I just put it on the scanner or do I go to a separate table for inspection?  I just am wondering how all this works for ease of packing and ease of getting thru security.  On RCCL we left it in carryon, put in scanner and no one ever looked at it.  I don't mind inspection, as it will actually  be wine.   Thanks

The rule regarding wine is one bottle per person (21 or older), not per occupant of cabin(s). Just throwing this out there in case you have kids booked in the second cabin that you are referring to. If it is adults in the second cabin, I’m not sure I’m understanding why they are not bringing their own wine onboard in their own carryons. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

We've been out of Tampa a couple of times. We either put our wine in a backpack or use a wine carrier, depending on how full the backpack is. Just head to the security checkpoint and go through as usual. I've only had the bottles taken out and inspected once, but that was not in Tampa. There is no inspection table stop, unless they find something strange on the x-ray. 

Have fun, we love the Spirit class ships, we were on Miracle in March. Be sure to be up on deck about 2.5 hours after sailing - that's when you'll go under the Sunshine Skyway bridge. 

On 11/20/2018 at 9:37 AM, rucingok said:

We will be sailing on the Miracle in December and it is our first time on Carnival and at port of Tampa.  We have previously been on RCCL.  We have 2 cabins so plan on taking 4 bottles of wine.  I would like to wrap it up in (maybe) our beach towels or something when putting it in our carry ons. I also have a wine carry-all I could use.  Should I pack one per person or can I pack 2 bottles together?  Do I just put it on the scanner or do I go to a separate table for inspection?  I just am wondering how all this works for ease of packing and ease of getting thru security.  On RCCL we left it in carryon, put in scanner and no one ever looked at it.  I don't mind inspection, as it will actually  be wine.   Thanks

We pack our two bottles of wine together in my husband's backpack.  At some ports, security scrutinized the bottles to make sure they were sealed tightly after being scanned while at other ports no one even cared.  It varied port to port and even security person to security person at one port.  (Our friends were in a different line.  Their wine went right through; ours was taken out of our backpack and checked thoroughly.)  There is no rhyme nor reason as to who gets checked and who doesn't.

My sister and I cruised together on the Carnival Magic out of Port Orlando a few years back.  I brought two bottles of wine, she brought one bottle of Prosecco.

We had not discussed that either/both of us were bringing wine.

The lovely lady at the exray stopped us, asked who it belonged to.  When she saw both of us genuinely looking at each other saying “Oh, you brought wine too!”  She said “go ahead, have a great cruise!”  She left us take all three bottles. 

The start of an amazing trip.  We still love the Magic, hope to go on her again, soon.

I used one of the foldable supermarket-type totes, wrapped the wine in bubble wrap, and included a few (6?) soft drinks in ziplock bags to keep them from shifting.  No interest at all by security, then I dropped off the bag in the cabin immediately and folded it to take up no room in the luggage on the way home.  Much easier than adding it to my already too heavy rolling carryon.