Tour or Taxi to Dunn's River Falls

mcmarya

Reading about some of the tours, they seem to only last 2 hours with some reviewers saying they were unable to finish climbing the falls before having to leave.  This is our first time in Jamaica (Ocho Rios) and my husband really wants to go to the Falls, but we don't want to be so rushed.  Any experiences with getting a taxi from the port safely?  Is there such a thing as a sort of shuttle?  We generally like to stay as flexible as possible and don't care for group tours (or crowds but oh well) especially those requiring non-refundable deposits.  Any thoughts?  Any idea of the taxi fare should be for the 4 km ride?

Thanks

I always take a taxi (dozens of trips since mid 80's)

taxi cost is stupid expensive but there is no option ... live with it.  Know that the taxi fare is ROUND TRIP

a taxi will say they will be back to pick you up in 2 hours - aka the cruise ship schedule - tell them NO and come back when you want (3 hours 4 hours) or get their card/cell number.

Now this sounds loosey goosey BUT there is a taxi dispatcher at the exit to DRF and he knows you paid for a round trip .... IME he simply loads you into the next taxi for the ride back ... alI ever did was tip the return driver (did not tip the first driver!)

A cruise ship excursion arrives at DRF, walks the path to the bottom of the falls, climbs the falls HOLDING HANDS via the prepared path and then proceeds directly to the bus.

I climb on my own .. climb up, then down, then sideways, chill in the pools and generally spend 4 hours or so .....

drf8.jpg

see the folks to the left (above) ... they are on a cruise excursion and 'walking the path' .... we're going UP THE MIDDLE

drf9.jpg

ditto ... folks behind on a cruise excursion walking hand in hand while we enjoy a pool along the way

Edited by Capt_BJ

On 11/21/2018 at 7:23 PM, mcmarya said:

Reading about some of the tours, they seem to only last 2 hours with some reviewers saying they were unable to finish climbing the falls before having to leave.  This is our first time in Jamaica (Ocho Rios) and my husband really wants to go to the Falls, but we don't want to be so rushed.  Any experiences with getting a taxi from the port safely?  Is there such a thing as a sort of shuttle?  We generally like to stay as flexible as possible and don't care for group tours (or crowds but oh well) especially those requiring non-refundable deposits.  Any thoughts?  Any idea of the taxi fare should be for the 4 km ride?

Thanks

Book a private tour and you won't be rushed at all .... You can find a number of private guides on this forum at great prices.

If you can remember what the crazy expensive taxi fare is that would be great.  That way I can decide if I want to book anything at all.  I like the idea of staying as long as I want, whether that is 2 hours or 4. 

If there is a dispatcher at the Falls, why do they charge round trip?  Seems like paying as you go would make more sense for everyone.

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 8:01 AM, Capt_BJ said:

no sidewalk, narrow roads, crazy drivers

I do not recommend walking it .....

always told crew to NOT do it

we'd rent a bus to do a shuttle

I don't recommend walking it also.... The days can be hot outside at times.  I think a round trip shuttle is quite affordable or book a tour to see the island...